Who should Fleck start at QB in Gophers game vs Illinois?

• Conor Rhoda - this is his team to lead as 5th year senior

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Demry Croft - 2nd half performance vs MSU shows he should lead team

Votes: 115 90.6%
  • Whomever has a better week of practice should get job

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Seth Green

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Should be Croft going forward. Really hopes he stops lobbing it in the air under pressure however.

Whoever voted Rhoda, needs to delete their account..

As far as I am concerned, if Croft plays so poorly next week that he needs to be benched...Green should play before Rhoda does again. Rhoda had his shot, he is simply not good enough.

I think it has to be Croft. Rhoda had some moments earlier this season, but the offense has had so many struggles the last couple weeks and there seemed to be a real spark with Croft. I know it was the last quarter and the Spartans made some mistakes, but still, Croft was able to execute pretty well.

Really impressed with DCs improvisational skills vs a vicious MSU front. Obviously has a stronger arm than Rhoda and can move the sticks with his legs.

Fleck chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Easy answer: Croft. He showed an ability to make something out of nothing - both with his feet and with his arm. Very exciting with him at the helm. On the flip side, he looks like an interception waiting to happen when he is under pressure. Great quarter for him. I went from pretty much not caring about the rest of the season to excited to watch the team again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhoda plays within the game plan. Croft often pulls it down and runs unexpectedly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It's a very easy answer and it's Croft. I don't think we'd be sitting at 3-3 if he started at QB to being with

Whoever voted Rhoda, needs to delete their account..

Didn't your Dad ever tell you what happens if you ask a stupid question?

Maybe instead of giving away a scholarship to a member of the student section, the contest should be "you get to be the Quarterback for the next half." That would make games interesting.

The scenario seemed to be an odd combination of Fleck preferring something about Rhoda personally (maybe as a team leader) and whatever rule-breaking Demry did, but it always was pretty obvious that DC was the better athlete - could scramble, make things happen, pass at least as well as Rhoda, etc. He really didn't get a chance to show this in the first two games, especially after being benched for a fumble. Had he started all games, he'd be well ahead by now (not occasionally pitching a Hail Mary while falling backwards, for instance) and the Gophers would have won one or two of the conference games. Hopefully this stuff is over now - but we should pray he isn't injured while running. The cupboard is bare at QB.

It's a very easy answer and it's Croft. I don't think we'd be sitting at 3-3 if he started at QB to being with

Not 100% sure Croft starting would have flipped any of the outcomes but at this point I agree with those who say there is zero reason to play Rhoda. If it isn't Croft then put Green out there or hand the ball to the true freshman. Rhoda isn't good enough, he was never going to be good enough, and on most teams he isn't even considered as a possible option, but when you had a staff that couldn't recruit the position your options get really limited.

Obviously Croft is going to get the start if he has a good week. He made the most of the opportunity.
That said, the Rhoda-bashing on here is totally classless.

Obviously Croft is going to get the start if he has a good week. He made the most of the opportunity.

So giving opinions of players is also off limits? He isn't very good. Why is it so bad to say that? Again, some seem to want nothing but motherhood and apple pie on here. Has a sports message board ever delivered that? Get over yourself.

So giving opinions of players is also off limits? He isn't very good. Why is it so bad to say that? Again, some seem to want nothing but motherhood and apple pie on here. Has a sports message board ever delivered that? Get over yourself.

+1. I wish Rhoda well going forward and believe he will continue to provide leadership for this team, but he simply doesn't have the skillset to be a QB at this level. I think other posters have pointed that if people think the Rhoda hate is bad here, they should check out Twitter, Facebook, etc. to see some real hate.

Odysseus in the movie Troy: “It’s no insult to say a dead man is dead.”

Top Bottom