Gutty performance by marching band!

1967 2.0

Banned
Reaction score
Since it rained before the game the band was prohibited from marching during half time on the field. #Millennialstrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If the band didn't play it was because the stadium told them not to. It was likely because they were afraid they would rub off the feild markings more than they already are. Blame the stadium staff, not the band.

Also you should probably get your eyes and ears checked because someone at the game just informed me the band played a full halftime show.

Yep they we're only allowed to stand in place while they played on the field. They made an announcement that the field conditions were too dangerous to march while on the field. Safety First!

So what's your problem? It was slippery, and those instruments and uniforms are expensive. They didn't want anyone to get hurt. Who knows what their drill would have included, maybe there was a high likelihood someone would get run over if they fell.

Did the game really put you in that bad of a mood?

Since it rained before the game the band was prohibited from marching during half time on the field. #Millennialstrong

They were on the field with lightening approaching; how much gutty do you want.

So what's your problem? It was slippery, and those instruments and uniforms are expensive. They didn't want anyone to get hurt. Who knows what their drill would have included, maybe there was a high likelihood someone would get run over if they fell.

Did the game really put you in that bad of a mood?

It was a odd day for the band. None of the woodwind instruments appeared to be in the hands of the marchers on the field band during pregame, which was unusual. There have been a few other wet games, so this was sort of weird.

Secondly, in the stands well after the rain slowed the band did not have the woodwind players with instruments until halftime. The whole time, during the first half a bunch of brass instrument were stacked up behind the band (Tubas) and they did not play either for some reason. The band seemed to be at about 55 percent the whole first half in the stands even after the rain stopped.

Despite all this, the band sounded better than ever, with all brass and down about 100 instruments.

It was a odd day for the band. None of the woodwind instruments appeared to be in the hands of the marchers on the field band during pregame, which was unusual. There have been a few other wet games, so this was sort of weird.

Secondly, in the stands well after the rain slowed the band did not have the woodwind players with instruments until halftime. The whole time, during the first half a bunch of brass instrument were stacked up behind the band (Tubas) and they did not play either for some reason. The band seemed to be at about 55 percent the whole first half in the stands even after the rain stopped.

Despite all this, the band sounded better than ever, with all brass and down about 100 instruments.

Rain will ruin woodwind instruments. If it starts raining during a performance they won't stop, but since the rain started before the game a call had to be made. If it's light enough rain sometimes the band takes the risk, but sometimes they don't. Once the band "hides the woodwinds" the rain has to practically stop before they'll bring them out again.

As for the sound, it was more concentrated, and if you give the brass instruments and excuse to play as loud as they can they will. Brass was playing to make as much noise as 300 members. It's also a preference thing. Lots of people like the sound of a brass band (think Ohio State, MSU, any Drum Corp), some like the sound of woodwinds.

I think the Wisconsin Band has an awful sound, but the Illinois, Penn State and Michigan State bands seem to be a lot more heavy in the brass than our band and sound very great.

I liked our band today without the woodwinds a lot, and I realize the band can only put the product on the field that shows up to join the band impacts the mix of instruments. Oh well the result was better than what the football staff came up with.

Rain will ruin woodwind instruments.

Correct. Shocking that some fools do not understand this. As for certain instruments, like the Tuba, they have the bell facing upwards. Depending on the amount of liquid that accumulates in the instrument,the sound could be very poor. Of course, they could be constantly emptying the spit valve, but they probably determined that it wasn't worth it.

I didn't watch the halftime show, but was the entire band even on the field? You know that their formations are choreographed, and if you remove a section of the band, the formations are worthless and likely more confusing for the band members. Regardless, the field was wet and slippery, if you didn't notice. Many of the band members are carrying, not only expensive instruments, but also very heavy instruments. A very legitimate safety concern.

Only a band leader lacking in common sense would have had the entire band out there, and would have had them actually marching.

Band wasn't allowed to march the halftime by Athletics due to the wet field markings. Yardlines, etc. had deteriorated during the first half as the paint was coming off due to all the rain. They didn't want to have us go on at all, but agreed to let us if we didn't march the show.

The whole time, during the first half a bunch of brass instrument were stacked up behind the band (Tubas) and they did not play either for some reason.

Only had a handful of Tubas in the front row of the student section. Normally, those tubas sit in the section of stands next to the band with band staff sitting behind them (so it's ok to block their view). With all of the woodwinds in the "skybox" seating, we shifted the tubas over to the front row of the student section. We didn't have them play so as not to block the view of the first couple of rows of students. We usually have 20 of the 26 tubas in the band's main seating area.

Side note. I had never seen anyone use the term "gutty" before. I guess it's an informal representation of "gutsy". Interesting!

Correct. Shocking that some fools do not understand this. As for certain instruments, like the Tuba, they have the bell facing upwards. Depending on the amount of liquid that accumulates in the instrument,the sound could be very poor. Of course, they could be constantly emptying the spit valve, but they probably determined that it wasn't worth it.

I didn't watch the halftime show, but was the entire band even on the field? You know that their formations are choreographed, and if you remove a section of the band, the formations are worthless and likely more confusing for the band members. Regardless, the field was wet and slippery, if you didn't notice. Many of the band members are carrying, not only expensive instruments, but also very heavy instruments. A very legitimate safety concern.

Only a band leader lacking in common sense would have had the entire band out there, and would have had them actually marching.

From pictures I saw it looked like they had the full band out for the halftime. The rain must have been light enough they felt safe doing the 15 minute show. No moving during the show though, as umnhcky stated the Athletic department only let the band on the feild if they didn't March so they didn't wipe off the feild markings. Looks like they just assembled in their last set and played the whole show standing.

I was there and my son is in the band so I was with them the whole day. Dr McCann made the call to not play the winds for pregame. Just before halftime she was told that there would be no marching. Since it wasn't raining she made the call to play the woodwinds ( woodwinds were really needed with Rhapsody in Blue) but it started raining as soon as they took the field. My son who plays clarinet (plastic for marching, wood for concert) said the clarinet soloist had her wood instrument so had two umbrellas to protect it.

Also. One it was Band Parents day so they really wanted to perform as much as possible!

I was there and my son is in the band so I was with them the whole day. Dr McCann made the call to not play the winds for pregame. Just before halftime she was told that there would be no marching. Since it wasn't raining she made the call to play the woodwinds ( woodwinds were really needed with Rhapsody in Blue) but it started raining as soon as they took the field. My son who plays clarinet (plastic for marching, wood for concert) said the clarinet soloist had her wood instrument so had two umbrellas to protect it.

Two thumbs up to UMMB! Sounded great given the conditions. Ambitious group of songs as well; the arrangements had to be solid to translate to a marching band.

You lucked out with a night game for parents day...

Thanks for the post but along the same lines of this millennial circlejerk you like to perpetuate you seem to think people care about your opinion on the internet. Nobody does.

Top Bottom