No Reason to Play Rhoda From Here On

bfast

Reaction score
Senior + Mediocre to average at best. Ceiling for the season is now a bottom-tier bowl game.

Will they ride it out with him because they think he can manage things well enough to get us a Meineke Car Care bowl payday?

If you want the back up QBs to get better, you might as well play them.

Ride or die with Croft - he can toss the rock OK and gives us an outstanding mobile threat. CR seems like a nice kid and a solid backup, but let's build and give our next year starter experience.

You need a QB.

That's the one position you really need to win high level games.

You need a QB.

You need a QB.

That's the one position you really need to win high level games.

You need a QB.

I'd recruit 20 of them in hopes that one turns out to be NFL-caliber. Receivers can be walk-ons if they have a guy that can put the rock on their hands. American Football is a passing game at the D1 and NFL level.

I'd recruit 20 of them in hopes that one turns out to be NFL-caliber. Receivers can be walk-ons if they have a guy that can put the rock on their hands. American Football is a passing game at the D1 and NFL level.

This is absolutely correct. QB is by far the most important position in FB. Problem is you can't get good QBs to your school when you recruit even 3 or 4 a year. THey all wanna be the man.

Lord knows if Croft will keep up his strong play but you gotta hope PJ has learned his lesson. College coaches too often seem to be overthinking the quarterback position. You understand valuing intangibles but you can't overlook actual talent. Meyer's been guilty of the same thing at Ohio State so it's not just a PJ thing. We all knew Croft had the superior potential...sometimes you just have to let a young guy grow into the position.

PJ learned his lesson? I hope Croft learned his lesson. We don't know everything that has been going on behind the scenes.

Lord knows if Croft will keep up his strong play but you gotta hope PJ has learned his lesson. College coaches too often seem to be overthinking the quarterback position. You understand valuing intangibles but you can't overlook actual talent. Meyer's been guilty of the same thing at Ohio State so it's not just a PJ thing. We all knew Croft had the superior potential...sometimes you just have to let a young guy grow into the position.

Rhoda should never have played. He obviously lacks talent. If we'd had Croft play the last 3 games we may have won all 3.

PJ learned his lesson? I hope Croft learned his lesson. We don't know everything that has been going on behind the scenes.

Demry breaking the rules might have cost us two, maybe three wins.
That's on Demry.

One thing I like about Croft.... he knows who to look for. Johnson. Johnson. Johnson. Williams looks like a great find too!

Fleck chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Since Day 1 I wanted Croft barbecue he has a chance to develop. With Rhoda you are basically getting another year of Leidner but without the mobility so even worse. Croft can learn and develop allowing this team to be more successful next season

Since Day 1 I wanted Croft barbecue he has a chance to develop. With Rhoda you are basically getting another year of Leidner but without the mobility so even worse. Croft can learn and develop allowing this team to be more successful next season

AGREED!!!

I am in complete agreement that Croft should be the starter. But I want to see him perform in crunch time and not garbage time before getting too excited.

I am in complete agreement that Croft should be the starter. But I want to see him perform in crunch time and not garbage time before getting too excited.

+1.....Hopefully PJ gives him the keys going forward....Rhoda should never see the field again, barring injury.

With Rhoda you are basically getting another year of Leidner but without the mobility so even worse.

That's not fair to Mitch. Leidner was much, much better than Rhoda. True, Leidner could really choke under pressure sometimes (particularly in his senior year) but had a pretty good career here overall. The Gophers would have had significantly fewer wins over the last three years had Rhoda been the starter.

That's not fair to Mitch. Leidner was much, much better than Rhoda. True, Leidner could really choke under pressure sometimes (particularly in his senior year) but had a pretty good career here overall. The Gophers would have had significantly fewer wins over the last three years had Rhoda been the starter.

Leidner was a far more inconsistent passer, but he was an effective runner and effective leading our heavily running based offense.

Croft should get most of the snaps and they should get Green in there as well to find out what he can do or not do. The season is now a dumpster fire now that we actually see what PeeWee Fleck produced on the field, once all the PR BS morphed into actual football.

Oh, and he better fire that DC right away once the season ends. The awful defense is what has really killed this team, not the anemic offense.

Croft has noticeably more velocity on his throws. Equal decision making and more mobility. It's a no-brainer Croft is the guy.

Croft should get most of the snaps and they should get Green in there as well to find out what he can do or not do. The season is now a dumpster fire now that we actually see what PeeWee Fleck produced on the field, once all the PR BS morphed into actual football.

Oh, and he better fire that DC right away once the season ends. The awful defense is what has really killed this team, not the anemic offense.

If I remember correctly,you are/were a Mason fan. You gave him TEN YEARS to go 32-58 in conference play, never finish in the top 3 of the conference, never even beat a team that finished in the top 3 of the conference, and had losing records against Iowa and Wisconsin. You are now calling Fleck "PeeWee" 6 games in to his first year, but wanted more Mason? Look, P.J. could succeed or he could fail but he's going to get an absolute minimum of 3 years to do the job and likely more than that. Not supporting him now does nothing to help Gopher football, but certainly could hurt it. He has the best reputation nationally of any coach to take the Gopher job since Lou Holtz. If he fails, it's going to be real tough for Coyle/new A.D. to entice another hot candidate to take this job. Fleck failing would be a disaster for the University of Minnesota and I don't see why anyone would root for that.

As for the defense? It was performing at a level similar to or better than the 2016 defense through the non conference portion of the season and handed the offense 4 to's against Purdue while surrendering fewer points to the Boilermakers than the 2016 defense did. So you are talking about two poor performances on defense and already want the defensive coordinator gone. How about those Mason defenses that at one point gave up 2 of the 3 biggest leads in bowl history (NC seState and Texas Tech) and also gave up a 28-7 lead in the 4th Q against Michigan at home despite giving actually scoring a td in that quarter? Or how about letting Purdue go over 50 yards in like 7 seconds to set up a game winning FG as time expired? I could go on and on.

With the Oline as beat up as it is you have to play the kid that can move.

Croft has to play, he is the one that will open things up. Croft can run and escape pressure Dropping straight back and throwing off the back foot have been Rhodas demise. He just does not have strong enough arm, and lacks accuracy. Rhoda competes hard and has the will he just doesn't have the athleticism needed to run this offense. It is what it is.

Demry breaking the rules might have cost us two, maybe three wins.
That's on Demry.

Rhoda won the job before Demry's transgression. There's no way he was getting major snaps before tonight even if he was available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom