Gophers Drop Conference Opener to PSU, 3-1

Reaction score
In an early-season conference matchup, the Gophers came out of the gate slow and ended up falling to No. 11 Penn State, 3-1. In their home opener, Minnesota looked sloppy in the first period, and couldn’t overcome the poor start.

“We’re definitely not a finished product, that’s for sure,” said a succinct Don Lucia after the game.

Slow Start

The Gophers didn’t record their first shot on net until over halfway through the opening frame (through the first 12:30, if memory serves). Despite preaching the importance of winning the first 10 minutes, the Gophers didn’t deliver.

“They’re missing what we’re talking about, I know that,” said Lucia. “Because those are the bullet points. We really emphasize the 10-minute game.”

Amazing Save

The Gophers were ramping up some pressure in the second period when Mike Szmatula had what looked like a sure goal before PSU’s Peyton Jones slid across the crease to make an all-time, highlight reel save. It would have been a huge tally for a Minnesota team struggling to create chances, but Jones shut the door on the Gophers’ rally.

“It’s frustrating, but it’s hockey,” said Szmatula. “He made a heck of an effort to come back. I probably wouldn’t have done anything different.”

The save got the attention of Penn State’s coach, Guy Gadowsky.

“I’ve seen saves like that on SportsCenter and year highlight things; I’ve never seen one live,” said Gadowsky. “That was pretty incredible.”

Costly Major

For the second time this season, Minnesota committed a major penalty. Leon Bristedt’s check from behind was costly as it put the Gophers on a 5-on-3 penalty kill where PSU eventually scored.

“I have no issue with the call,” said Lucia. “He knows better, he’s a senior...You don’t shove a guy from behind. That sums up where we’re at right now. You’re trying, but you’re not trying smart.”

By The Numbers

0 Periods in which Minnesota eclipsed 10 shots on net. The Gophers hit Jones with just 21 shots on the evening.

Powerplay goals for Penn State compared to zero for the Gophers.

Straight starts for Eric Schierhorn, tying a Gopher record for goalies.

Three Stars

3 Peyton Jones made 20 saves including one that will be on PSU highlights for years.

2 Penn State’s Andrew Sturtz scored the first goal of the game

1 Denis Smirnov had the game-winning goal and an assist.

What’s Next

With the Gopher football game taking over primetime tomorrow, the hockey team will play at 3:05 on Sunday. The game can be seen on FSN, or heard on 1130 KTLK-AM.

That WAS an all-time, reach back, mid-air, stick save on Szmatula. It was the second replay before I really saw how Jones did it.

It was also in the second period that the Gophers countered with six skaters against Penn State. And PSU still carried the puck into the Gopher zone. I'm pretty sure that Jones was the first to notice the extra man and was pounding his stick on the ice to get the referees's attention.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We suck. It's going to be a long year and I wouldn't be surprised if the Don is finally asked to retire.

I watched last night and we had no jump and no buzz. It was sad to see how far we've fallen.

The best example of our first period doldrums is that for some reason we've added a goal horn and, of course, sounded it after Penn State's first goal. I'm not sure the goal horn is the proper catalyst to reviving the excitement.

Got totally outclassed by PSU, pathetic! The team needs a new coach in the worst way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom