Zulgad: Rough start: Gophers look like anything but Big Ten favorites in loss to PSU

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

The Gophers men’s hockey program raised a fourth consecutive Big Ten title banner to the rafters before its home opener on Friday night and then spent three periods showing exactly how far they have to go if they want to make it five in a row.

Lacking any spark, and playing in front of a small crowd that served as another reminder of how this program’s popularity has fallen since joining the Big Ten, the Gophers lost 3-1 to Penn State in the conference opener.

Spending time lamenting what the move to the Big Ten has done to the University of Minnesota men’s hockey program has gotten to the point of beating a dead horse. But it is fair to say that the announced crowd of 8,840 (that seemed generous) in the newly named 3M Arena at Mariucci did not come close to getting its money’s worth.

Coach Don Lucia and his players both acknowledged this after the Gophers had a second consecutive poor showing on a Friday. Last week, the result was a 4-3 overtime loss at Minnesota Duluth. This defeat was worse, considering it came at home and in a conference game.

“I didn’t feel tonight we put ourselves in a position to win the game,” Lucia said. “I just don’t think we earned it. I don’t think we played the right way. I don’t think we played disciplined enough, I don’t think we played competitive enough.”

http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2...e-anything-big-ten-favorites-loss-penn-state/

Go Gophers!!

It's amazing how the Big Ten money lured people. The cash sacrificed interest in hockey, perhaps college hockey itself. College basketball and football may follow. Bureaucrats and cash are making all sports professional. The NCAA decision on N Carolina basketball is a big nail in the coffin. How can they not punish them after similar situations where they did? I'm going deep on this one, but there's a pattern here. $$$$$$

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom