Will tougher competition force Gophers hockey fans to finally accept the Big Ten?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

The Gophers open Big Ten hockey play this weekend, and if those words still make the fan base yawn or cringe, the conference hopes this season will change that.

The Big Ten is a new-look league, with a new team (Notre Dame), three new coaches, a new schedule and a new playoff format.

Will there be a new champion? Minnesota has won the first four conference titles. And, win or lose, will Gophers fans ever embrace the Big Ten?

Gophers coach Don Lucia certainly says it’s time, heading into Friday night’s game against fast-rising Penn State at the newly renamed 3M Arena at Mariucci.

“When you look at the games we’ve had, I mean, sometimes you can just complain to complain,” Lucia said. “I can go back and say the way things were on the Iron Range in the ’70s vs. the way they are now — it’s a little different, but it’s the way things are.”

http://m.startribune.com/will-tough...the-big-ten/450662743/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!

“When you look at the games we’ve had, I mean, sometimes you can just complain to complain,” Lucia said. “I can go back and say the way things were on the Iron Range in the ’70s vs. the way they are now — it’s a little different, but it’s the way things are.”

Yes, Gopher football soubded like this in 1981. "We're playing in the Metrodome. We're not going back to Memorial Stadium."

This stubborn "stay the course" mentality ruined Gopher football for more than a decade as they refused to understand why recruits kept going elsewhere and we became laughingstocks in trophy games. Gopher Hockey repeatedly shoots themselves in the foot with ridiculous pronouncements. Does anyone "Minnesota's Pride On Ice"? It worked real well to send players away from Gopher Hockey. Now we can get indignant with "this is the Big Ten Hockey Conference" and still not figure out why our hockey program is backsliding faster that a sled of children down an icy hill.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We had a great system where we could go to other cities in Minnesota to watch them great hockey. Am I going to drive/fly all the way to Penn State? No. Mankato, Duluth, St. Cloud, ND? Yes.

Top Bottom