U changes policies to add protection for students accused of sexual misconduct

Provide accused students with detailed, written notice of the allegations and enough time to prepare a response

Allow accused students to respond to allegations in writing or at a live hearing before the U decides whether they violated the policy

While the case is pending, offer both the accuser and the accused the opportunity to change their class or work schedules and living arrangements

Redefine a student who “assists or abets” sexual misconduct as one who “intends the misconduct to occur” rather than one who “reasonably should know” misconduct would happen. Deputy general counsel Brian Slovut said the old language might have led to disciplinary proceedings being brought against more students than was appropriate

It is kinda shocking that those weren't part of the rules.

#2 is pure W... T...... F.

No mention of any representation. IIRC one of the suggestion (maybe didn't make it to the final) was that the accuser and accused be provided an attorney. That makes sense for everyone and should be a rule.

Attorney Ryan Pacyga, who represented a football player who was not punished, said the university should go further to protect the accused. He wants audio recordings of investigative interviews, counseling for accused students and a warning that they have the right to an attorney.

Seems like common sense?

Still a ways to go.

The tribunal commences in one minute; you will be notified upon commencement of tribunal proceedings if you are one of the accused; your presence is not required nor is your acknowledgment of accusation; all findings of tribunal are final and all sentences will be immediately enforced.

The universities set themselves up for a huge crash and numerous lawsuits by trying to do what the police should do. Due Process rights were at risk everywhere and this is an inevitable and necessary correction.

Lipstick on a pig. The problem cannot be addressed by half measures because the core is rotten. Completely removing these hearings for sexual misconduct from universities is the only answers. These hearings should be academic misconduct only.

In a few years, these hearings will probably expand to other types of misconduct. Shameful.

The proposed modifications to the U's student disciplinary process are minor and do nothing to change the EOAA investigative process. And the due process protections itemized below have not been changed and still remain in place. It is very unlikely the proposed modifications to the process would have changed the final outcome of the Gopher gangbang scandal in any way. The players who were expelled or suspended deserved their punishment and the players who won their appeals received all of the due process to which they were entitled.

The U's student disciplinary process worked the way it was supposed to for all ten players. The U followed the process exactly as it was written. The players were all given the required notice of the accusations against them and the right to defend themselves in a disciplinary hearing with the opportunity to appeal any adverse rulings against them. The main reason we know this is not even one of the Gopher players has sued the U in federal court for damages. Suits for damages wouldn't have cost the players a dime because their lawyers would work on a contingent fee basis. We were assured by numerous posters in GopherHole that the U would be paying out large settlements to the players but we are still waiting for it to happen.

Student Conduct Code Procedure: Twin Cities [Campus]

In all cases, hearings on violations of Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code must be fundamentally fair. What constitutes fundamental fairness in a University hearing depends on a number of factors, including the seriousness of the potential penalty. However, a fundamentally fair hearing process usually allows for students or student organizations to:

- be notified in writing of the alleged violation and the underlying factual allegations; the time, date, and place of the hearing; and the range of possible sanctions;
-receive a prompt hearing;
-present their case, including witnesses;
-hear all evidence against them;
-question adverse testimony;
-be confronted by their accusers (subject to reasonable procedures to address concerns for safety or well-being);
-be accompanied or represented by an advocate of their choice;
-be found responsible only if the information as a whole shows that it is more likely than not that the student's conduct violated Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code;
-receive a written disciplinary decision following the hearing; and
-receive notification of the procedure for a campus-wide appeal of the disciplinary decision.

A formal record, a tape recording, or a transcript of the hearing procedure must be kept for appellate purposes. Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code hearings are not court cases, and court rules of process, procedure, or evidence do not apply.

Grounds for Appeal

The following are the grounds for appealing a disciplinary decision.

-There was significant procedural error sufficient to affect the outcome (e.g., lack of notice, opportunity to be heard, or opportunity to challenge information). A procedural error is not a basis for sustaining an appeal unless it was significant enough to affect the outcome.
-The rule found to have been violated was misapplied, misinterpreted, or contrary to law.
-New evidence exists that was not previously available to the appealing party and that is sufficient to affect the outcome.
-The sanction was grossly disproportionate to the offense.
-The disciplinary decision was not based on substantial information. Substantial information means relevant information that a reasonable person might accept as adequate to support a conclusion. In making this determination, the appellate officer must respect the credibility determinations of the hearing body and must not substitute the officer's judgment for the hearing body. Rather, the appellate officer must determine whether the hearing body’s disciplinary decision was unreasonable (i.e., arbitrary) in light of the information presented.

Read more at: https://policy.umn.edu/education/studentconductcode-proc01

Your continued use of the words "gang bang scandal" and associating innocent students in that, and to that, places you directly in the bottom 10% of people I ever want to associate with. I hope you get banned and the jewel called karma hits you hard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gang·bang or gang-bang (găng′băng′)

n. Vulgar Slang
1. Sexual intercourse forced upon one person by several others in rapid succession.
2. Sexual intercourse involving several people who select and change partners.

v. gang·banged, gang·bang·ing, gang·bangs or gang-banged or gang-bang·ing or gang-bangs

v.intr.
1. Vulgar Slang To participate in a gangbang, either consensually or as an aggressor.
2. Slang To participate in violent gang-related activities.

v.tr. Vulgar Slang
To subject (someone) to a gangbang.

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

gang·bang or gang-bang (găng′băng′)

n. Vulgar Slang
1. Sexual intercourse forced upon one person by several others in rapid succession.
2. Sexual intercourse involving several people who select and change partners.

v. gang·banged, gang·bang·ing, gang·bangs or gang-banged or gang-bang·ing or gang-bangs

v.intr.
1. Vulgar Slang To participate in a gangbang, either consensually or as an aggressor.
2. Slang To participate in violent gang-related activities.

v.tr. Vulgar Slang
To subject (someone) to a gangbang.

American Heritage[emoji768] Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright [emoji767] 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
It also implies rape by other definitions. No one was convicted of rape. Innocent until proven guilty is a wonderful idea, why don't you like it?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

It also implies rape by other definitions. No one was convicted of rape. Innocent until proven guilty is a wonderful idea, why don't you like it?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Cruze convicted them all when he used the UpNorth Moniker. I believe his exact words were, "I'm sure not going to believe a bunch of football players".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruze convicted them all when he used the UpNorth Moniker. I believe his exact words were, "I'm sure not going to believe a bunch of football players".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cruze is accuser, judge, jury, jailer and executioner all rolled into one, and he could care less what actually happpened... they are ALL guilty of a gang bang. I sincerely hope someday he gets the justice he dishes out.... #karma. #ignore list.

Cruze is accuser, judge, jury, jailer and executioner all rolled into one, and he could care less what actually happpened... they are ALL guilty of a gang bang. I sincerely hope someday he gets the justice he dishes out.... #karma. #ignore list.

Mods need to take some action. He’s continuously defaming at least 5 individuals

Someone like Cruze doesn't believe in truth. He believes in agenda. Good honest people question what good is an agenda if not rooted in truth? Cruze is not one of those people.

Top Bottom