Burning Red Shirts

No need to redshirt Morgan. He isn't going to be our savior at QB. If you can recruit, you don't have a need to redshirt. It just means you recruited poorly by bringing in people not ready to play. If you recruit well and they are early grads that make spring practice they can compete with 5th year seniors. Some will beat the RS seniors out.

I'm not sure where the sixth win comes anymore. Illinois, maybe Nebraska. Still leaves us at five that's why we really needed those last two can't lose to inferior opponents

Northwestern is beatable. And frankly, so is MSU if we can get to 17 points.

No need to redshirt Morgan. He isn't going to be our savior at QB. If you can recruit, you don't have a need to redshirt. It just means you recruited poorly by bringing in people not ready to play. If you recruit well and they are early grads that make spring practice they can compete with 5th year seniors. Some will beat the RS seniors out.

FWIW, Ryan Burns said on his podcast that if CR15 struggles continue that we will see Morgan as soon as this Saturday. Not Croft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about anyone who doesn't require us to play a kid coming off a torn ACL that still runs with a limp and at about 80% speed. Let's start there JG.

I honestly didn't see the 2nd half - was it really that bad? Or just a case of a guy coming off an injury who hadn't played all season?

A lot, actually:

2016 - Hank Ekpe, Jalen Myrick, Drew Wolitarsky (How much would these guys be helping us right now?)
2015 - Scott Ekpe, Antonio Johnson, Alex Keith, K.J. Maye, Eric Murray, Lincoln Plsek, Damarius Travis (Would we have won a Big Ten division title in 2016 with all of these guys as 5th-year seniors?)
2014 - Michael Amaefula, David Cobb, Drew Goodger, Marcus Jones, Grayson Levine, Tommy Olson, Cedric Thompson, Derrick Wells (Do we win 6 in 2015 and not have people bitch about academically qualifying for a bowl game?)
2013 - Ra'Shede Hageman, Aaron Hill, Donnell Kirkwood, James Manuel, Ed Olson, Brock Vereen (Again, do we win a Big Ten division title in 2014 with all of these guys as 5th-year seniors? We were a half against Wisconsin away from doing so.)
2012 - Michael Carter, Keanon Cooper, Ryan Grant, MarQueis Gray, D.L. Wilhite

I could keep going, but I've made my point. When you're trying to establish a consistently competitive team, nothing will do it like having a bunch of 22- and 23-year-olds at the top of the depth chart every year. We haven't had that, because we keep mortgaging the future for the present, and the cycle continues. I've had a lot of beef with the way Fleck is doing many things, but one thing I unequivocally applaud him for is trying to keep as many redshirts on as possible. We will be consistently competing for Big Ten titles beginning in 4-5 years if he manages to redshirt the overwhelming majority of freshmen each year.

We do redshirt the majority of freshmen each year. If it was as simple as redshirting even more guys to win B1G titles, why wouldn't everyone do it? Rutgers could just redshirt their entire class this year and they could win the east in 5 years, right?

While it's easy to say that we would be better with the 5th year guys listed, what your neglecting is that each of those teams were also better due to the freshman and true sophomores that played. So while it might be nice to have Nate Umlor or Ken Handy-Holly 4 years from now, this years team (and the previous teams you noted) would have been worse if the freshman didn't play.

Besides, it's a crapshoot to know what will happen in 4 years. Who would have predicted Maxx would go to the NFL as a sophomore, or that Nelson, Moore, and Mayes would transfer. Some guys also don't want to play college football for 5 years and ask to play as freshmen.

I don't see the reason to redshirt Tanner Morgan either.
If he's our starter in 2019 and 2020 because he Red Shirted, he's either playing way above what we would expect, or we failed in our other recruiting of QB's.
Of course, if you have so much depth that you don't have to play him as a freshman.... great. That's doesn't seem to be the case for us this year.

Anybody but Andries; high quality person who is unlikely to flunk, get arrested, get suspended, or transfer. He is also a O-lineman who will only be BIGGER with an extra year in the system and O-lineman are least likely to leave for NFL early.

I’d burn any I could it it helps us win. One exception may be at qb though. I treat that position a little different since sometimes a qb can have his confidence shaken and become very jumpy in the pocket. I’ve seen it where once the guy loses his confidence he never regains it. It’s rare to have a freshman with the stones to have a couple of terrible games and be able to put it behind them.

A redshirt isn't "burned" until a player graduates or plays in his 4th year. It can be used any time. Not one Freshman that has played this year has "burned" his redshirt. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

FWIW, Ryan Burns said on his podcast that if CR15 struggles continue that we will see Morgan as soon as this Saturday. Not Croft.

Never thought Croft was our answer. Doesn't mean I'm right. Would expect to see Morgan ahead of him now, however someone new will replace Morgan in the future.

We do redshirt the majority of freshmen each year. If it was as simple as redshirting even more guys to win B1G titles, why wouldn't everyone do it? Rutgers could just redshirt their entire class this year and they could win the east in 5 years, right?

While it's easy to say that we would be better with the 5th year guys listed, what your neglecting is that each of those teams were also better due to the freshman and true sophomores that played. So while it might be nice to have Nate Umlor or Ken Handy-Holly 4 years from now, this years team (and the previous teams you noted) would have been worse if the freshman didn't play.

Besides, it's a crapshoot to know what will happen in 4 years. Who would have predicted Maxx would go to the NFL as a sophomore, or that Nelson, Moore, and Mayes would transfer. Some guys also don't want to play college football for 5 years and ask to play as freshmen.

Pat Tillman is a prime example of that!!!! He told ASU, I'm here for 4 years no matter if I get red shirted or not.

A redshirt isn't "burned" until a player graduates or plays in his 4th year. It can be used any time. Not one Freshman that has played this year has "burned" his redshirt. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Is being a d1ck blissful?

Gopher Football - building for the future for the last 50 years. But the future never arrives.

What gets me is that some people (not all), but some people hype these recruits like they're the second coming of Red Grange, but once they enroll in school, it's "gotta redshirt them, so they can have another year of development."

The best players should play, period. Doesn't matter whether the best player is a 23-year-old RS Senior, or an 18-year-old True Freshman.

Play the best players. Try to win games. Try to win games for the fans, who pay good money to support the team.

Jim Grobe got Wake Forest to the Orange Bowl by redshirting as many guys as he could. The idea is that you can defeat talented boys by playing men. I remember Bobby Bowden at the time saying most of his freshman would throw a fit if he tried redshirting them.

If you can recruit, you don't have a need to redshirt. It just means you recruited poorly by bringing in people not ready to play.

Maybe the single stupidest thing ever written on all of Gopher Hole.

I'd love to burn this red shirt.

thumb.aspx

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom