Tai'yon Devers

fippled

Reaction score
Has Tai'yon Devers played yet this season? I don't recall hearing his name called yet. Is he redshirting this year?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Played in garbage time during the MTSU game I think.

Hopefully Devers actions and results eventually reach his high electric potential...

Love PJ but it Pi$$es me off how he handles some student athletes.

Again - new coaching staff, new system. No one should be surprised that some players from the previous system don't seem to fit well in the new system.

Now, I think you can certainly have a discussion about whether the new coaches should be trying to integrate the "old" players into the "new" system more effectively. The Gophers need every good athlete they have on the roster to be productive. And I maintain it's the job of the coaches to find ways for every player to be productive, whether they are a perfect fit for the system or not.

And, the 500-pound gorilla in the room - is this football-oriented or culture-oriented? If Devers isn't playing because he doesn't fit the new system, that's one thing. If he isn't playing because he didn't wear a collared shirt and sit in the front row in class, that is something entirely different.

Devers, Poock, Still, Calhoun, Huff20, and McCrary are guys that had bigger roles last year.
Are there others?

If Devers can put on some more weight...like get to 250 (he's what now 225-230 after being 215 last year) this guy would fit anyone's team in the country! That speed on the edge can't be taught and there are guys in the NFL making millions because of it.

Devers, Poock, Still, Calhoun, Huff20, and McCrary are guys that had bigger roles last year.
Are there others?

Beebe, Brooks, Smith in the run game.

The QB in the run game.

Any pulling linemen in the run game.

Cashman.

Richardson in any role besides creating a log jam.

Any blitzing lineman, linebackers in the pass rush game.

Any def back wanting to play press coverage.

Are there others?

McCrary? He had a significant role in one game due to injuries. Other than that, his role has been about the same.

Are there others?

With the emergence of Barber, Coughlin, and Martin, I'm guessing that Poock and Huff20 would be having similar roles this year regardless of the coaching staff.
McCrary is playing as much as he did last year.

Still is the only one that is a bit of a mystery, because he was showing promise last year and PJ was talking him up in the spring.
He was kink of a knucklehead even last year, so maybe that hasn't changed enough to get him on the field more. I do find it interesting that he is listed on the depth chart as a back up to Johnson. Would think since he has showing promise they would try to get both of them on the field at the same time. Maybe he isn't grasping the new offense.

Again - new coaching staff, new system. No one should be surprised that some players from the previous system don't seem to fit well in the new system.

Now, I think you can certainly have a discussion about whether the new coaches should be trying to integrate the "old" players into the "new" system more effectively. The Gophers need every good athlete they have on the roster to be productive. And I maintain it's the job of the coaches to find ways for every player to be productive, whether they are a perfect fit for the system or not.

And, the 500-pound gorilla in the room - is this football-oriented or culture-oriented? If Devers isn't playing because he doesn't fit the new system, that's one thing. If he isn't playing because he didn't wear a collared shirt and sit in the front row in class, that is something entirely different.

It's hard to imagine with us putting LBs on the line that a dude who played alright on the DL... doesn't fit the system.

Gotta wonder what system leaves out a contributor and then ... we complain we're thin.

This whole how much of contributor thing with regards to Devers is way overblown. He made a couple of splash plays in the non-conference schedule and end up with 5 total tackles last season.

This whole how much of contributor thing with regards to Devers is way overblown. He made a couple of splash plays in the non-conference schedule and end up with 5 total tackles last season.
Winner!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Might have something to do with the 3-4.

It's hard to imagine with us putting LBs on the line that a dude who played alright on the DL... doesn't fit the system.

Gotta wonder what system leaves out a contributor and then ... we complain we're thin.

Take it from someone who had coached high school and junior college football for35 years, Devers SHOULD be playing. Absolutely ridiculous that the DC hasn't worked his skills into his system. Ridiculous. We need pressure on the QB. We need perimeter presence. Help our CB's out, by pressuring the QB. All pro CB's wouldn't be effective in the Gopher system without someone in the QB's face. The idea that he isn't playing because he didn't buy into the culture change 100%, is cheating the 2017 Seniors. They have spent 4/5 years, 3 different head coaches, at least play the kids that will give the Gophers a chance to win. Isn't that what coaching is all about? Creating schemes that utilizes your plays abilities. I did and won a couple 100 games doing it.

Take it from someone who had coached high school and junior college football for35 years, Devers SHOULD be playing. Absolutely ridiculous that the DC hasn't worked his skills into his system. Ridiculous. We need pressure on the QB. We need perimeter presence. Help our CB's out, by pressuring the QB. All pro CB's wouldn't be effective in the Gopher system without someone in the QB's face. The idea that he isn't playing because he didn't buy into the culture change 100%, is cheating the 2017 Seniors. They have spent 4/5 years, 3 different head coaches, at least play the kids that will give the Gophers a chance to win. Isn't that what coaching is all about? Creating schemes that utilizes your plays abilities. I did and won a couple 100 games doing it.

People keep saying this, but there is no proof that this is the reason. Just speculation.

There is no other reason other than poor coaching.

Sooner or later, the Gophers have to utilize contributors from last year who are idle or lack playing time or face the prospect of winning a single game this year.

Top Bottom