Florida DB Shamaur McDowell decommits from the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Zephyrhills, FL (Wiregrass Ranch) DB Shamaur McDowell has reopened his recruitment. He committed to the Gophers on June 11 over offers from Cincinnati, Iowa State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, and others.

The Gophers still have Benny Sapp III, Terell Smith, and Tyrik Henderson in the 2018 defensive back recruiting class. They also will add Florida Gators transfer Chris Williamson next season. McDowell was receiving plenty of Power-5 offers leading up to his June commitment. He will explore several of his options and the Gophers can focus their attention on finding another cornerback for the 2018 class.

People will come and go between now and signing day.

Easy to see why. Iowa State and Minnesota are both neophyte programs. Iowa State beat the number 3 team and the Gophers lost to the number 80+team. Which team would you choose?

Easy to see why. Iowa State and Minnesota are both neophyte programs. Iowa State beat the number 3 team and the Gophers lost to the number 80+team. Which team would you choose?

If you're stupid enough to base your college decision on one game, you're a total idiot and I wouldn't want you playing for the Gophers anyway.

If you're stupid enough to base your college decision on one game, you're a total idiot and I wouldn't want you playing for the Gophers anyway.

Thankfully it's not your call.

sounds mutual, no need to bash the kid or our program here.

I would chose the school that fits my interests, the ability for my family to travel to watch me, prospect of playing time, the coach, and the probability of getting a meaningful degree. He will stay within 200 miles of his home. That is fine.

I would base my decision on whichever internet message board wanted me more.

I'd be like, "Hey... I'm thinking of coming to your school... why should I?"

Wow. Uplifting.
I will be on pins and needles awaiting your 41st post.

Sounds like he is focusing on playing early in his career and he didn't see that happening at Minnesota. He hasn't played much this season for IMG Academy's main team.

Who pee'd in your cheerios?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that T. Carter is back in good graces with Fleck, he was "cooked on", to make room for a Marquis Williams decommit/recommit to Minnesota... Total speculation, but it would be a nice trade.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Gophers first followed by any school not located in Iowa.

Watched his team play a game on ESPN and I don't think he touched the field.

Look at it on the bright side. He goes where his heart's content point him and I wish him luck.

For the Gophers - they have a few more scholies to to go after high three stars/4 stars recruits.

OH MY GAWD!!!! A HIGH SCHOOL KID CHANGED HIS MIND!!!!! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!!!

LOL, great post!
Yep he won't be the last one either I'm guessing but there are probably a myriad of reason a kid decommits. PJF keeps saying a ton of kids want to be Gophers. Maybe they already have that next kid? Some of the more recent croots crystal balling to the Gophers would be considered an upgrade. Maybe PJF is going trophy hunting? Hope so, let's go!

LOL, great post!
Yep he won't be the last one either I'm guessing but there are probably a myriad of reason a kid decommits. PJF keeps saying a ton of kids want to be Gophers. Maybe they already have that next kid? Some of the more recent croots crystal balling to the Gophers would be considered an upgrade. Maybe PJF is going trophy hunting? Hope so, let's go!

It's all part of crootin' game. Kids reeled in by Johnny Come Lately Pied Piers. Kids get cold feet and miss their Mommies. Kids get the dream offer later on that they have been waiting for. Kids become ineligible not being able to meet admissions standards of certain schools. Kids figured they don't fit the program or want to be closer to home, etc...

In the end, the Gophers may end up with higher caliber athletes at the last minute with those open slots. I am not worried.

It's all part of crootin' game. Kids reeled in by Johnny Come Lately Pied Piers. Kids get cold feet and miss their Mommies. Kids get the dream offer later on that they have been waiting for. Kids become ineligible not being able to meet admissions standards of certain schools. Kids figured they don't fit the program or want to be closer to home, etc...

In the end, the Gophers may end up with higher caliber athletes at the last minute with those open slots. I am not worried.

Kids have a phobia of knife-wielding polar bears........

My guess, we asked him to look elsewhere. He was one of the lowest rated guys on our list and if he isn't having an elite season ...

My guess, we asked him to look elsewhere. He was one of the lowest rated guys on our list and if he isn't having an elite season ...

Which begs the question, why did we offer in the first place?

Which begs the question, why did we offer in the first place?

Million possible reasons... inroads at IMG? we thought his best friend would follow him and he's a 5 Star? he tests good but he can't play? he was hurt last year? Obviously, ha I got no idea but we also were/are in dire need of defensive backs....hedging our bets at the time. Lots of possibilities....

Top Bottom