Shama: Oregon State Should Pursue Kill; Jim Carter says health will be issue

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Gary Andersen made a surprise announcement this week, resigning as Oregon State’s head football coach. OSU decision makers should reach out to former Gophers coach Jerry Kill about their unexpected opening.

The Andersen era was a disaster, with the Beavers going 7-23 the last three-plus years. At the end, Andersen lost faith in his assistants and was so frustrated with his situation he resigned.

Kill, now back in coaching as offensive coordinator at Rutgers, is 56 and still young enough to take on a head coaching job again. The shadow over Kill, of course, is his history with epilepsy and seizures. When his meds, diet, exercise and sleep are properly balanced he does well, but keeping all that just right is difficult when coaching with all of the profession’s demands and nonstop hours.

Jim Carter doubts most athletic directors have the “courage” to consider Kill for a head job. The former Gophers fullback from the late 1960s is close with Kill and his wife Rebecca. In an interview with Sports Headliners yesterday, Carter said leaders at Oregon State and Kill would all have to be in agreement this was a risk worth taking.

“They’re going to have to be convinced that his health situation is in a good place. So that will be an issue on both sides,” Carter said.

“I don’t know what happened there (at Oregon State with Andersen), but it couldn’t be as bad as Minnesota was when he (Kill) came here,” Carter said. “He rebuilt that thing after (Tim) Brewster had us lower than low.”

If all sides wanted to put a deal together, Carter would applaud. “I think it would be great if Oregon State hired him,” Carter said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Shama, not to be outdone by Doogie on the ****ty article front...

Why does this continue? Is our sports media that brutal? And yes those are rhetorical questions

I didn't think OSU should pursue JK, but if Shama does then it can't be a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the world of Jerry Kill, but I highly doubt that he will be a hot commodity on coaching market this year.

I'll bet he could get most of the band back together. But, I'd be very surprised if he got the chance at Oregon St. A MAC level school might be a possibility? But mostly, I concur with mkAz.

Brewster is a more likely to get the OSU job than Kill. It shocks me how myopic the Twin Cities media is.

Brewster is a more likely to get the OSU job than Kill. It shocks me how myopic the Twin Cities media is.
Spot on.

The three early favorites.
Beau Baldwin current Cal OC and former EWU HC.
Alex Grinch....great name, DC at WSU.
Jonathan Smith, current OC at UW and former Beaver QB of the Fiesta Bowl winning team of 2001.

Spot on.

The three early favorites.
Beau Baldwin current Cal OC and former EWU HC.
Alex Grinch....great name, DC at WSU.
Jonathan Smith, current OC at UW and former Beaver QB of the Fiesta Bowl winning team of 2001.

Great, going after low cost replacements rather than trying to make a statement with a splashy hire. While the last splashy hire didn't work out obviously- he also didn't take his guaranteed dough so the athletic coffers should still be in decent shape?

Jim Carter must have had a lot of "down" time this week.

Great, going after low cost replacements rather than trying to make a statement with a splashy hire. While the last splashy hire didn't work out obviously- he also didn't take his guaranteed dough so the athletic coffers should still be in decent shape?

You want to put Les Miles on the list? Who else would be the splashy candidate?

“I don’t know what happened there (at Oregon State with Andersen), but it couldn’t be as bad as Minnesota was when he (Kill) came here,” Carter said. “He rebuilt that thing after (Tim) Brewster had us lower than low.”

It could easily be argued that it is worse than when Kill came here.

It could easily be argued that it is worse than when Kill came here.

Correct. When Kill arrived here we had been to bowls in 2 of the previous 3 seasons. And 7 of the previous 9

I look forward to the day when our media stops fawning over Kill. His health has already been an issue as an OC at Rutgers. It would take a really gutsy AD to put him back in charge of a power 5 program and run the risk of his health failing again which it almost certainly would because he would fall right back into old patterns and stop taking care of himself.

I have little doubt that Kill wants to get back to being a head coach again, but I don't expect a lot of power 5 schools to come calling.

There is a former Minnesota guy that I think could do the job at Oregon State and do it well: Jeff Horton.

I look forward to the day when our media stops fawning over Kill. His health has already been an issue as an OC at Rutgers. It would take a really gutsy AD to put him back in charge of a power 5 program and run the risk of his health failing again which it almost certainly would because he would fall right back into old patterns and stop taking care of himself.

I have little doubt that Kill wants to get back to being a head coach again, but I don't expect a lot of power 5 schools to come calling.

Seem like that didn't even really start until he "retired".....

Due to the school's connection with Rocky Long, Hortons name has popped up.

I assumed Rocky Long's name would enter the conversation at OSU but I also assumed he's probably getting into that territory where he's just a little to old at this point. I suspect they'd want to go younger.

If David Beaty at Kansas gets fired, maybe Kansas would hire Kill. They haven't won more than three games in a season since 2008 - it can't get much worse.

If David Beaty at Kansas gets fired, maybe Kansas would hire Kill. They haven't won more than three games in a season since 2008 - it can't get much worse.

I would see them hiring Claeys before Kill. But even that I think is far fetched. I could be wrong, I just don't see a Power 5 team hiring either one for head coach.

I could see them hiring Kill as a "special consultant" or "quality control" or whatever (like Sarkisian was at Alabama). Especially if they go after a first time head coach. Whether Kill would leave Rutgers for that type of position is debatable.

Due to the school's connection with Rocky Long, Hortons name has popped up.

I like Horton and felt bad that he wasn't kept on. Horton held the program together the best he could during an extremely difficult time with the Cherry on the cake being beating Iowa.

Top Bottom