Let's Try Again: North Carolina Infractions Report Friday

Jay Bilas said this was a waste of time since NCAA had no case. Which makes sense, if NCAA laws didn't cover it. But their accreditation should absolutely be challenged.

Will the people associated with UNC that have a moral compass stand up and say something?

Judging from the reactions of Carolina people on twitter, there's not a chance of that happening.

Basically they act like an SEC school, not a serious university.

Jay Bilas said this was a waste of time since NCAA had no case. Which makes sense, if NCAA laws didn't cover it. But their accreditation should absolutely be challenged.

I've followed Jay Bilas for years and have come to realize he's extremely biased and agenda driven. Not a credible commentator.

I've followed Jay Bilas for years and have come to realize he's extremely biased and agenda driven. Not a credible commentator.

10000% agree. For being a smart guy, he sure seems like an idiot. I am starting to wonder whether he actually took those classes in Law School at Duke.

Why is anybody surprised? This is how the NCAA has always done business.

They don't give a damn about parity, ethics, fair-play or any of that other stuff. Bottom line is that programs like UNC make them tons of money in the Big Dance.

North Carolina could have dressed up a group of pro players with mustaches, written papers for them, given them thousands of dollars and the NCAA would still bend over backwards to make sure they were never punished.

Frankly, I'm surprised the COI, the most worthless arm of the NCAA, didn't come out wearing "we love UNC!" tee-shirts while making their announcement.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

It seems like Clem Haskins' biggest mistake was that he should have had Ganglehoff write papers for regular students, but didn't......

So in summary of their findings its ok for the athletes to cheat and inflate their grades as long as everyone else in the school is doing it?

Yet certain schools will have postseason bans due to low APR scores due to student athletes not passing their presumably legitimate classes. How does this not classify as an athletics issue?

How quickly could I get my Masters in African-American studies? The job market for AAS Professors is going to explode.

So essentially the ncaa is promoting universities making classes easier and the only thing they care about is the equality between athletes and student body so they dont have to pay these kids....I mean hell , from the sounds of it, a school could make up a degree with its own curriculum

As long as it is an accredited program and is offered for non-athletes as well, yes.

Maybe the players should take a knee during the tip off to protest the injustice.

He's right. As far the NCAA is concerned they have no standing if athletes are treated the same as regular students. I'm not saying it is morally right, and I can't stand that UNC gets through this with no penalties, but the NCAA has no authority to punish a school for having ridiculously easy classes as long as everyone can take them. The NCAA doesn't have the power to determine what constitutes a legitimate class or degree program for all students. So it's not a NCAA issue, it's an issue for the university's accrediting body.

It would be like if a woman tried to have the police arrest her boyfriend for emotional abuse. The guy can be as big of an a-hole as he wants. He could tell her he's taking her on a date, then drop her off somewhere and drive away leaving her to figure out how to get home on her own. As long as he doesn't make any direct threats or physically assault her, there is nothing the police can do.

(btw My 2nd team is Duke, so believe me when I say that I'd jump all over this if it had merit in terms of NCAA violations.)

I am a bit surprised to not see more condemnation from the alumni. Granted, I have only looked on twitter (because I’m a moron), but the overwhelming sentiment is that UNC didn’t deserve anything additional to the punishment already received; accreditation on probation for one year and “hurt” via recruiting.

If my University responded to accusations of cheating by saying that they simply offer joke classes to everyone, I would immediately be concerned at how my degree was viewed. It is likely limited to a course or two, but my first inclination in talking to anyone from UNC is to mock their education. Of course, I don’t have many friends, but you would think some alums would demonstrate a bit of embarrassment.

So in summary of their findings its ok for the athletes to cheat and inflate their grades as long as everyone else in the school is doing it?

Yet certain schools will have postseason bans due to low APR scores due to student athletes not passing their presumably legitimate classes. How does this not classify as an athletics issue?

Apr?

?*♀️

Another sham from the ncaa

I am a bit surprised to not see more condemnation from the alumni. Granted, I have only looked on twitter (because I’m a moron), but the overwhelming sentiment is that UNC didn’t deserve anything additional to the punishment already received; accreditation on probation for one year and “hurt” via recruiting.

If my University responded to accusations of cheating by saying that they simply offer joke classes to everyone, I would immediately be concerned at how my degree was viewed. It is likely limited to a course or two, but my first inclination in talking to anyone from UNC is to mock their education. Of course, I don’t have many friends, but you would think some alums would demonstrate a bit of embarrassment.

They don't care. They're like all the others with their slogans. Like Penn State with their phony "Success with Honor" crap. Or Notre Dame, with their "Catholic Values" garbage. For UNC, it's "The Carolina Way." :rolleyes:

It's all a sham designed to convince ridiculous fan groupies that their school "does it the right way," so they'll love them no matter what. It's all complete B.S.

If they want to celebrate North Carolina academically and athletically, I don't have a problem with it. But if they come at you with these marketing slogans touting their athletic and ethical superiority, along with their higher standards, I would mock them relentlessly because it's all crap.

"Roy got 99 problems. ...."

Too soon?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is it possible for someone with a financial interest, say a season ticket holder, to bring suit against the NCAA for unfair treatment? I'm sure financial loss could be easily proven. Certainly a demonstration of inconsistent treatment involving favorable treatment of "favored schools" is out there.

It would be interesting to see what the NCAA decided to do if every opponent refused to play their game against UNC. Could it be the pressure required to not only force the NCAA to treat all programs equitably, but also shame UNC into admitting guilt?
I am at a loss for how the NCAA can turn a blind eye.

This is such a joke. If the NCAA won't do anything, the ACC should. They consider themselves a 'superior' conference academically. Prove it. Kick them out. Send Louisville with them.

And we should re-hang our banners on opening night for sure.

I see where the NCAA is coming from The bigger farce here is if this doesn't affect their accreditation. But I don't think it will. Fake majors and classes existing in the liberal arts programs are the life blood of today's universities.

Disgusting. just disgusting. But sad to say I am not surprised. Pisses me off. Put back the banner.

I'm really pissed by this decision. The next time I hear the NCAA pull out the "student-athlete" card, I'm going to take a hostage. PUT THE DAMN BANNERS BACK UP IN THE BARN! Let's start a petition among fans and present it to the U's leadership to get this done. If the NCAA doesn't care about enforcing academic integrity, and it's clear by this decision that they do not, and if Carolina gets to hang all their banners during their decades of academic fraud, then our 20 years of self-flagellation need to end and we once again can acknowledge the accomplishments of a great team in Minnesota history.

I see where the NCAA is coming from The bigger farce here is if this doesn't affect their accreditation. But I don't think it will. Fake majors and classes existing in the liberal arts programs are the life blood of today's universities.

I don’t. The UNC athletes may not be getting an unfair advantage over other UNC students but they are getting an unfair advantage over other NCAA athletes. Other schools don’t cheat with fake classes to keep athletes eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good read, by Dan Wetzel:
https://sports.yahoo.com/north-caro...rassing-academic-fraud-defense-010926838.html

This part jumped out at me:

“The NCAA defers to academies on matters of academic fraud,” the NCAA conceded. “As institutions of higher education, the NCAA membership trusts fellow members to hold themselves accountable in matters of academic integrity.”

If this is really the case, how was the NCAA able declare the U of M situation to be fraud and come down so hard on us? Why didn't they defer to the U to "hold themselves accountable?" Or did they, and the U conceded themselves that, yes, it was a terrible violation? Is it really that Gangelhoff was only writing papers for athletes and not others? Or is it an outrageous double standard, and the NCAA is just hoping everyone accepts this position and moves on? Don't they realize what kind of precedent this sets for colleges to duplicate UNC's methods? Or will someone in the future do the same thing and get punished severely because they're not UNC?

This, from the NY Times article yesterday: “The N.C.A.A. did not dispute that the University of North Carolina was guilty of running one of the worst academic fraud schemes in college sports history, involving fake classes that enabled dozens of athletes to gain and maintain their eligibility. But there will be no penalties, the organization said, because no rules were broken.”

There you have it. In black and white. Couldn’t be any clearer. The NCAA is a powerless, gutless, pitiful waste. It exists solely to line the pockets of its executives and big-time member schools through the exploitation of young (mostly black) athletes. So I say, let’s just get rid of it entirely. No more NCAA. Fire every last executive, investigator, secretary and employee. Shutter every last “blue ribbon commission.” Close down every investigation. Who needs them anyway. Save a lot of money and headaches for everybody. Hell, if you can’t punish a school for engaging in “one of the worst academic fraud schemes in college sports history,” what’s the point?

And while we are at it, let’s drop the charade of the “student-athlete” as well. It’s a joke and everyone knows it. From now on, players can openly solicit contracts and play for whatever “school” pays them the most. Screw it. Doesn’t matter what their high school grades or SAT scores are. Who really cares about that. Certainly not the NCAA. They can go to class, or not. Entirely up the them. No papers, no tests, no grades or any of that crap. They can unionize, engage in collective bargaining, go on strike, whatever they want. When their 4 years are up, if they decide to stay that long, they get a nice, post-game handshake and, if they negotiated it, a juicy little termination bonus—and no diploma. If they want an actual degree, they can come back when their playing career are over, and take real courses, with real teachers, get real grades and pay real tuition. And in the meantime, assholes like Mark Emmert and the rest of those NCAA clowns, can go out and get real jobs, with real responsibilities, and earn an honest living for once in their pathetic lives.

Top Bottom