Let's Try Again: North Carolina Infractions Report Friday

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Interestingly, it sounds like UNC is raising their championship banner tomorrow at Midnight Madness. ... take 1 or 2 down (2005 and/or 2009?), put 1 up (2017)?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interestingly, it sounds like UNC is raising their championship banner tomorrow at Midnight Madness. ... take 1 or 2 down (2005 and/or 2009?), put 1 up (2017)?

As long as you have the stepladders out...

Any indications on what's coming? A lot of people must have read this report by now. I thought I read that they had to provide it to somebody at UNC before it is publicly released.

Any indications on what's coming? A lot of people must have read this report by now. I thought I read that they had to provide it to somebody at UNC before it is publicly released.

Not sure about that.

I do remember hearing some local and national reporters suggest the UNC delegation seemed satisfied with what they heard from the Infractions Committee the final time they met. I guess we'll find out with the severity of the penalties tomorrow if there was any truth to that.

My uneducated guess (that's all it is) is a 1-year postseason ban (though I think 2 would be fair & appropriate). Perhaps they'll add on some other stuff (recruiting restrictions, scholarship reductions, NCAA Tournament money returned), but the postseason ban is what I want to see. That is the best (and I might argue only) way to change a behavior. Taking away the NCAA Tournament away is the harshest penalty you can give a program. The one common denominator is all recruits want to play in the NCAA Tournament. That's how you hurt a program moving forward. ... recruits far less likely to go there if March Madness out of the equation.

Not sure about that.

I do remember hearing some local and national reporters suggest the UNC delegation seemed satisfied with what they heard from the Infractions Committee the final time they met. I guess we'll find out with the severity of the penalties tomorrow if there was any truth to that.

My uneducated guess (that's all it is) is a 1-year postseason ban (though I think 2 would be fair & appropriate). Perhaps they'll add on some other stuff (recruiting restrictions, scholarship reductions, NCAA Tournament money returned), but the postseason ban is what I want to see. That is the best (and I might argue only) way to change a behavior. Taking away the NCAA Tournament away is the harshest penalty you can give a program. The one common denominator is all recruits want to play in the NCAA Tournament. That's how you hurt a program moving forward. ... recruits far less likely to go there if March Madness out of the equation.

I agree. Also think they should take away past championships as a matter of principle, but that kind of penalty doesn't really have much teeth in terms of affecting the program.

My pet peeve is when people argue "you shouldn't punish the current players who had nothing to do with it," but that argument completely misses the point, as you suggest.

My pet peeve is when people argue "you shouldn't punish the current players who had nothing to do with it," but that argument completely misses the point.

One of mine, too. Tough break for those kids, but so be it.

Program/coach has to be punished moving forward. If a postseason ban is involved, I'd allow anyone on team to transfer with no sit-out year. Problem solved.

Here is the problem with the "current kids" argument. Those kids were recruited and committed when the allegations were already known. If that really was a concern of theirs, they would have gone to a school that didnt have potential sanctions coming against the program. It really has baffled me how top recruits continued to commit to UNC with this lingering.

Here is the problem with the "current kids" argument. Those kids were recruited and committed when the allegations were already known. If that really was a concern of theirs, they would have gone to a school that didnt have potential sanctions coming against the program. It really has baffled me how top recruits continued to commit to UNC with this lingering.

Good point.

Have to believe that if UNC does receive a postseason ban, they'll lose at least 1 or 2 recruits, especially if it's a multiple-year ban.

My pet peeve is when people argue "you shouldn't punish the current players who had nothing to do with it," but that argument completely misses the point, as you suggest.

I agree. This stance means nothing to me.

Looks like 9 a.m. (CT) the verdict comes in

Inquiring minds want to know.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Or lack of punishment. Wow. Moral of the story, cheating is fine as long as you let a handful of non-athletes do it too. Unreal

Any news yet? I'm at work and can't access the twitter world.

And Cleveland State take a sigh of relief.

What.A. Joke.

Why have any rules? NCAA integrity and soul is gone, if it ever had either to begin with.

At what point do the honest coaches and programs in the country revolt against this sham? They're the ones who should be most upset.

So essentially the ncaa is promoting universities making classes easier and the only thing they care about is the equality between athletes and student body so they dont have to pay these kids....I mean hell , from the sounds of it, a school could make up a degree with its own curriculum

If this doesn't kill the NCAA, what will?

If the whole school is corrupt, you're fine. This is a sham.

Where are the presidents seeking "reform" now.

So essentially the ncaa is promoting universities making classes easier and the only thing they care about is the equality between athletes and student body so they dont have to pay these kids....I mean hell , from the sounds of it, a school could make up a degree with its own curriculum

I still don't understand why this doesn't threaten their accreditation.

I still don't understand why this doesn't threaten their accreditation.

Has that issue been concluded as well? Wasn't their argument from the beginning that the NCAA had no jurisdiction because it was an accreditation issue?

This has to be the worst case in the history of the NCAA.

Will the people associated with UNC that have a moral compass stand up and say something?

BTW, I called the NCAA twice this morning only to get the runaround. COI seemingly has no contact for it.

All about the Almighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

what a joke

We better get our banners back, Coyle stop being a good damn pussy for once in your life

Top Bottom