Former Gopher captain Jim Carter blasts the U, says Kaler should be fired, rips Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In the latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie interviewed former Gopher captain Jim Carter who went off on Kaler, the Regents, Coyle, Fleck, etc. He said Kaler should be fired, he said the old staff takes it very personal when Fleck touts the need for a new culture, says Fleck doesn't have any friends with coaches he used to coach with, says we should not be in a rebuilding season, etc.

http://www.1500espn.com/the-scoop-2/2017/10/jim-carter-sam-mitchell-secret-scrimmage-ep-102/

Go Gophers!!

If there is any doubt about Doogie's lack of credibility as a sports journalist, interviewing Jim Carter ought to remove it.

Hopefully Jim Carter can find a University of his own to cheer for. Why doesn't he go cheer for whatever team Claeys is coaching?

I feel bad about the time I waste on a fan message board once in a while. Jim's a former player, but doesn't really speak for anyone but himself and can't understand how the University might proceed in a direction he doesn't agree with. Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys did a great job bringing us back from ruin, but the wheels came off the bus when Kill had to leave. We still got a great recruiting class last year based on kids already committing when Kill was healthy and in charge not jumping ship away from Claeys. But it sure doesn't look like Claeys was going to keep that going from a recruiting standpoint and all the good things he did are pretty much washed away when 10 kids are partying, acting poorly and possibly sexual assaulting a young girl, or at best standing by while a girl was treated poorly. Is Claeys 100% responsible for that event, of course not, but Jim Dutcher didn't molest anyone either but it happened on his watch and he ultimately paid the price for it and had the dignity to accept that blame to the point that he resigned rather than being fired.

Would Coyle have replaced Claeys anyway, probably, was it unfair to cite the fall incident as a main cause of Claeys demise, maybe. But saying we didn't need a cultural change from an atmosphere where that event happened and most players who knew about it happening did nothing is pretty closed minded. Being offended by someone emphasizing cultural change the year after that incident is laughable.

Jim, that is pretty obvious about the former staff being unhappy...just look at some of the tweets posted by them. Agree on the rebuilding, but I don't think PJF said that directly, but implied...but you cannot argue all the injuries have changed expectations. As for him having friends with past coaching I have no idea, however those former coaches on ESPN's "Being PJF" were certainly complimentary of him. He pulled a number of guys away at other places to be on his staff, so this one I have no idea if it's credible.

5 games in.

Fire university president and football coach...

I feel bad about the time I waste on a fan message board once in a while. Jim's a former player, but doesn't really speak for anyone but himself and can't understand how the University might proceed in a direction he doesn't agree with. Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys did a great job bringing us back from ruin, but the wheels came off the bus when Kill had to leave. We still got a great recruiting class last year based on kids already committing when Kill was healthy and in charge not jumping ship away from Claeys. But it sure doesn't look like Claeys was going to keep that going from a recruiting standpoint and all the good things he did are pretty much washed away when 10 kids are partying, acting poorly and possibly sexual assaulting a young girl, or at best standing by while a girl was treated poorly. Is Claeys 100% responsible for that event, of course not, but Jim Dutcher didn't molest anyone either but it happened on his watch and he ultimately paid the price for it and had the dignity to accept that blame to the point that he resigned rather than being fired.

Would Coyle have replaced Claeys anyway, probably, was it unfair to cite the fall incident as a main cause of Claeys demise, maybe. But saying we didn't need a cultural change from an atmosphere where that event happened and most players who knew about it happening did nothing is pretty closed minded. Being offended by someone emphasizing cultural change the year after that incident is laughable.

Thank you. You said it better than I could.

scarves, lots of scarves

scarf_46196a.jpg

Carter reminds me a lot of Donald Trump, they both seem to have about the same mental capacities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie interviewed former Gopher captain Jim Carter who went off on Kaler, the Regents, Coyle, Fleck, etc. He said Kaler should be fired, he said the old staff takes it very personal when Fleck touts the need for a new culture, says Fleck doesn't have any friends with coaches he used to coach with, says we should not be in a rebuilding season, etc.

http://www.1500espn.com/the-scoop-2/2017/10/jim-carter-sam-mitchell-secret-scrimmage-ep-102/

Go Gophers!!

Wonder what David Shama thinks about it?

Carter reminds me a lot of Donald Trump, they both seem to have about the same mental capacities.

I'm beginning to think you're right. I was trying to be loyal to Carter as he a Minnesota guy. However his rants are something else.

Jim, that is pretty obvious about the former staff being unhappy...just look at some of the tweets posted by them. Agree on the rebuilding, but I don't think PJF said that directly, but implied...but you cannot argue all the injuries have changed expectations. As for him having friends with past coaching I have no idea, however those former coaches on ESPN's "Being PJF" were certainly complimentary of him. He pulled a number of guys away at other places to be on his staff, so this one I have no idea if it's credible.

I think he's talking about Kills staff from when they were all together at NIU. There's probably Bab blood on PJ side as well as Kill didn't think he was fit from a personality standpoint. I don't disagree with the Scarf on Kaler, but I be hated that guy long before last football season. Scarf is outrageous but I'm sure he gives alot of money as well and as a former Captain he gets a platform and is great clickbait. Give Fleck a few years see if he can coach them up as well as improve recruiting.

Very well said

Why can't anyone get this right? I don't have the time or crayons to beat this dead horse again.

I question why did PJF only hire guys who were fired from their last job?

Jim Carter is a blowhard.

The one thing a little annoying with this board now is that people think that if you don't like Fleck/Coyle/Kaler you're somehow not a Gopher fan?

I don't really care what the old staff thinks, I just think it's incredibly short-sighted and stupid to be talking about "changing the culture" following the Kill regime. Fleck and Coyle have essentially set a bar incredibly high.

It's not fair for Fleck and it won't be how I judge him, but essentially needs to run a spotless program and win at a higher level than Jerry Kill. He can't have any ugly incidents (even if he correctly punishes the people for the ugly incidents), the GPA has to keep being great and he has to win. Some of those things are near impossible when you're dealing with 100+ 18-22 year olds. I am forgiving on that fact. The media will not be and they almost shouldn't be because he has been touting it so aggressively.

If Fleck really isn't friends with any of the people he used to coach with, I think that's a red flag. I don't trust Jim Carter's word on the subject and I would be shocked if he had any idea (besides maybe Claeys/Kill). It also kind of flies in the face of logic that he wasn't. I remember Greg Schiano playing a part in Ed Warriner coming to the U (Fleck was friend's with him, etc.), I don't remember the specifics. His staff at Western Michigan seemed pretty loyal. I get they were getting raises and going to the Big 10, but still.

Seems to me the sides drawn on this board have more to do with Kaler/Coyle than anything else.

Like Kaler/Coyle or think they're doing a good job more likely the defend everything Fleck.

Don't like Kaler/Coyle and think Tracy Claeys was given the shaft by them more likely to criticize everything Fleck.

Jim Carter is a blowhard.

The one thing a little annoying with this board now is that people think that if you don't like Fleck/Coyle/Kaler you're somehow not a Gopher fan?

I don't really care what the old staff thinks, I just think it's incredibly short-sighted and stupid to be talking about "changing the culture" following the Kill regime. Fleck and Coyle have essentially set a bar incredibly high.

It's not fair for Fleck and it won't be how I judge him, but essentially needs to run a spotless program and win at a higher level than Jerry Kill. He can't have any ugly incidents (even if he correctly punishes the people for the ugly incidents), the GPA has to keep being great and he has to win. Some of those things are near impossible when you're dealing with 100+ 18-22 year olds. I am forgiving on that fact. The media will not be and they almost shouldn't be because he has been touting it so aggressively.

If Fleck really isn't friends with any of the people he used to coach with, I think that's a red flag. I don't trust Jim Carter's word on the subject and I would be shocked if he had any idea (besides maybe Claeys/Kill). It also kind of flies in the face of logic that he wasn't. I remember Greg Schiano playing a part in Ed Warriner coming to the U (Fleck was friend's with him, etc.), I don't remember the specifics. His staff at Western Michigan seemed pretty loyal. I get they were getting raises and going to the Big 10, but still.

Spot on.

Carter is the looniest of all looney birds. He isn't worth 3 pages of discussion.

Carter is the looniest of all looney birds. He isn't worth 3 pages of discussion.

Three Tapatalk pages, probably only worth one or two desktop pages.

Top Bottom