Will we upset Sparty on Saturday night at home?

Will we upset Sparty at home Saturday night?

• Yes

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • no

Votes: 53 57.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
Yes or no and why?

I think we will win a close contest, and PJ gets his first upset victory over a top 25 team:
Gophers 17 - Sparty 14

We lose 27-6. Way too many injuries/depth issues at OL/CB. We will really struggle to run and thus move the ball against likely the best defense we will face to date. Our weaknesses are on full display for 5 games of tape for Dantonio to digest.

Yeah, the Gophers will get the win....

The win will be followed up by opinion articles by Souhan and Ruesse criticizing them for celebrating afterwards.

No. The gophers will not win in my opinion. I hope I am very, very wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to emphatically say "no way". And by doing that, I can almost guarantee you we will win. Every time I'm convinced we're collapsing, the Gophs team completely shocks me. Now is one of those times. Go Gophers.

I remember it like it was only yesterday...

It was Halloween night, 2009. TCF Bank still had that new stadium smell. To this point, the Gophers had been beaten by Cal, lost the axe game, were shutout at Penn State, and were clobbered at Ohio State. To make matters worse, the best WR to ever don the maroon and gold, Eric Decker, was out for the season. Things were looking dire for MN as they waited to take the field against the boys from East Lansing. That was when Adam Weber played the game of his life.

Weber threw 19-31, 416 yds, 5 TDs 1 INT (remember when we had a QB that could throw?) It was an absolute dog fight! MN was flagged for a record-high 17 penalties...my throat is still sore from yelling at the refs. Late in the 4th quarter, on 3rd and 17, Weber finds Nick Tow-Arnett at the MSU 35 who is then LIT UP by the DB, with the ball bouncing up from his hands. Right there to catch it, sprinting in full stride, was RB Duane Bennett who took it the rest of the 59 yards untouched for the TD! Gophers win 42-34 to upset MSU!

One of the first truly "magical" games at TCF. I'm hoping "The Bank" has a little more night magic in her against MSU.

It was Halloween night, 2009. TCF Bank still had that new stadium smell. To this point, the Gophers had been beaten by Cal, lost the axe game, were shutout at Penn State, and were clobbered at Ohio State. To make matters worse, the best WR to ever don the maroon and gold, Eric Decker, was out for the season. Things were looking dire for MN as they waited to take the field against the boys from East Lansing. That was when Adam Weber played the game of his life.

Weber threw 19-31, 416 yds, 5 TDs 1 INT (remember when we had a QB that could throw?) It was an absolute dog fight! MN was flagged for a record-high 17 penalties...my throat is still sore from yelling at the refs. Late in the 4th quarter, on 3rd and 17, Weber finds Nick Tow-Arnett at the MSU 35 who is then LIT UP by the DB, with the ball bouncing up from his hands. Right there to catch it, sprinting in full stride, was RB Duane Bennett who took it the rest of the 59 yards untouched for the TD! Gophers win 42-34 to upset MSU!

One of the first truly "magical" games at TCF. I'm hoping "The Bank" has a little more night magic in her against MSU.

There were a bunch of people in great costumes there that night. One guy in front of us was dressed as a toy soldier with binoculars. Green head to toe and even had the little platform to throw down and stand on when he'd strike a pose...it was awesome.

little-green-army-men.jpg

There were a bunch of people in great costumes there that night. One guy in front of us was dressed as a toy soldier with binoculars. Green head to toe and even had the little platform to throw down and stand on when he'd strike a pose...it was awesome.

View attachment 5143

Hell yeah!!!

It would be nice to see PJ hyper motivate everyone to play beyond what we might otherwise expect.

It would be nice to see PJ hyper motivate everyone to play beyond what we might otherwise expect.

I'd settle for a game plan that puts them in a position to be successful and play at their best.

I say no....but I'm still going to the game, cheering & having a good time, as always!

I say no....but I'm still going to the game, cheering & having a good time, as always!

I also will be cheering, but the Gophers have to many injuries, plus such poor coordinators that utilizing what abilities we do have will be lost in the struggles with Sparty. After watching the rerun of Iowa and the Illini, not sure we will see another victory. December 20th. can't come soon enough(early signing date). The question is will PJ recognize the deficiencies and recruit just a couple Junior Colleges athletes to fill-in the gaps? I am betting no.

Has Dienhart picked yet? Put me down for the opposite of whatever he says.

The magic eight ball say's "outlook is cloudy". I'm not real sure with all of the injury's if the defense is up to par in stopping the Spartans. They have the Will the how and the want to, not sure if there are enough body's on defense to carry out stopping MSU from scoring. Put me in the doubtful category.

Bringing the family back home for the game- was hoping we'd be fighting to go 6-0 when we bought our tix but am resigned to enjoying the atmosphere, tailgating and tons of friends much more than the outcome of the game. Hope I'm proven to be too pessimistic but with Conor's regression in the pocket and still having an unimaginative offense (at least that they've shown to date), and the MASH unit stationed in our defensive backfield I don't see how we stay in this game. But I'll be screaming for the Gophs like crazy!!

Have a slight chance of winning if the pajama man comes as Tracy Claeys

I say no. But they will cover the spread. A lot went right for MSU last week, usually doesn't happen 2 weeks in a row. We have too many injuries to pull out the win. But I'm still hopeful.

Football is an emotional game - and night games even more so - but Sparty looks too good for this offense with this QB. Hope I'm wrong and we can notch two conference victories in a row, this week and next week.

"Magic" is the right word - Weber was inspired and the Gophers were sky high. A victory almost no one expected, except maybe Weber.

We lose 27-6. Way too many injuries/depth issues at OL/CB. We will really struggle to run and thus move the ball against likely the best defense we will face to date. Our weaknesses are on full display for 5 games of tape for Dantonio to digest.

Yup

On paper, no. Sparty (and quite frankly the power, physical teams we play the rest of the way like Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin) are going to be nightmare matchups for us.

When we’re on offense, they all have a much much better front 7 than our OL can handle and we don’t have the playmakers on the outside to negate that. We’re going to have a tough time consistently moving the ball.

When we’re on defense, it’s not hard to see what all of them are going to do; they’re going run right at our DE’s. We don’t have the horses at that spot, hell we barely have any scholarship DE’s on the roster. They will all wear us down and in the rare situations where we do get them to 3rd and longs, our DB core was so average to even start the year and now with all the injuries that have piled up there, these teams will pick that group apart with relative ease.

It’s college football so yeah we could win but I have a hard time seeing us win this one or any of the others I mentioned. We don’t match up

We are too young. We are too inexperienced. We are not athletic enough. We are in year zero. We don't have a culture established. We are inferior in every facet of the game.
At least that's the excuses I have heard over the past two weeks.
We should just forfeit the season and just go back to the weight room and pine for spring practice. [emoji57]

I think Minnesota will keep it close it to the third quarter. However, MSU's front seven on defense is the most physical they have seen. They will make the Gophers throw the ball and that will make it difficult. MSU has some very good receivers. I don't like the match-ups between MSU's receivers and Minnesota's corners. MSU will wear down Minnesota.

That game was totally awesome!

We are too young. We are too inexperienced. We are not athletic enough. We are in year zero. We don't have a culture established. We are inferior in every facet of the game.
At least that's the excuses I have heard over the past two weeks.
We should just forfeit the season and just go back to the weight room and pine for spring practice. [emoji57]

Gawd your negativity is tiring. Are you Fatrick?

Gawd your negativity is tiring. Are you Fatrick?
The first paragraph is from PJ himself (paraphrased). Is PJ being too negative?

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Apathy seems to be setting in as comments here are flagging. We're not seeing many "rate the coaches" polls after games this year. Likely because we should be 5-0 except for some odd schematic choices, personnel choices, and defensive breakdowns by key players. Injuries have also played an enormous factor. The decision to burn a redshirt now instead of last week is just another frustrating move by The staff.

Michigan State seems to be getting some of its defensive mojo back. That's not good. We've struggled to move the ball consistently against the two Big Ten defenses we've seen, and they're not good. Our noncon breakthrough vs OSU was against a team that quit on its staff. Statistically the worst P5 program this year.

Defensively I don't see how we protect against deep plays and simultaneously shut down their run. They may not be elite offensively but they are going to pound us on the ground if we persist with the deep zones.

Sorry for the negativity but like I said, what I've seen so far has been far from encouraging, all around. Looking for signs of growth Saturday, and as always never say never in college football. Anything can and will happen so there's always that chance. This fan base and team needs some encouraging news.

Yes. I choose irrational exuberance. I'd rather be disappointed later, pessimists are always disappointed.

Top Bottom