ESPN is canceling its 24-hour college basketball tipoff marathon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
My Dad would stay up for this! Per Awful Announcing:

ESPN is canceling a near decade-long tradition later this fall. The network has revealed it will not be airing its customary 24-hour college basketball marathon to start the season. The day-through-night marathon had been a showcase for top games as well as programs who wouldn’t normally find themselves on ESPN’s national airwaves.

The reasoning for the cancelation from ESPN’s perspective makes enough sense. It’s logistically fairly challenging to pull off 24 consecutive hours of college hoops broadcasts.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-canceling-24-hour-college-basketball-tipoff-marathon.html

Go Gophers!!

This sucks! This has been a tradition of mine for as long as it's been around. I would start watching college basketball immediately when the marathon started Monday night, and I wouldn't stop until about 5am. Snooze for a couple of hours and then would watch all day Tuesday. I would always save a vacation day for this. Believe it or not, but I've seen some fantastic 2am basketball games over the years...

I always liked tuning in during work and this year I have a new baby so I would have something to watch at 2 AM when I'm up with her...real bummer.

This is bad! Reminds me of the demise of the Jerry Lewis telethon.:(

Was a neat idea for a couple years, but it has run its course.

I miss Bracket Busters in February way more than I'll miss the marathon.

Thank god. Now I can continue to watch First Take and reruns of ESPN political drama all day.

/s

Top Bottom