Pat Reusse: Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is a master at lowering expectations

I'm not too outraged by it.

It's just another column by Reusse. I've seen better and worse written by him.

Aaaannnnddddd.....Reusse is a master at baiting, or is it bating??? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm thinking Reusse would be a champion ping pong player having quick reflexes and a titan side arm shot with his right hand. He is definitely a master at generating clicks for his articles.

When I read a Reusse column, immediately and instinctively, the voice I hear in my head is that of the cranky old man from Pixar's UP.

Are you using the upperclassmen as strawmen for an overly negative column, Patick? Or should I say, pawns?
Si, he is, and he likes to stir the proverbial pot. Reusse with the "Pet" Phillip John references like he get's to be the master of SNARK.

Yes but the secondary was depleted of a lot of experience. Leidner wasn't a great QB but he had a lot of experience. They have no QB with any experience at the beginning of this year. WR's is a pretty thing group after losing Drew. Fans are unrealistic if they expected a repeat of last year's record. This was the year that Kill's and Claeys's recruiting mistakes would stand out.

That is a convenient narrative, but one that is not based in reality.

No it is not the norm and it has been proven in other threads.
Year Zero implies that everything is starting over. When SMU got the death penalty sanctions by the NCAA, and they started their program over, that is a year zero. UAB bringing back football would be a year zero, because they had nothing to start with.
PJ coming here is not year zero. Over half the roster was already in place when he arrived. It is his first year, but many players are working on years 2, 3 4 and 5 in the program. Yes they are having to adjust to a new system on offense and defense,
but they have been playing football at the P5 level.

What is the proof that it's not normal for some of the upper classmen to not buy in? Pretty sure there are regularly transfers and disgruntled players whenever there is a coaching change.

What is the proof that it's not normal for some of the upper classmen to not buy in? Pretty sure there are regularly transfers and disgruntled players whenever there is a coaching change.

Do the research - either on here in previous threads or online - there are many programs that do not regress because of a coaching change.

Pat has low expectations for himself so he likes to make others have low expectations as well. He clearly fits the loser criteria typically when writing articles. Apparently Glen Taylor likes that attitude.[/QUOT

Ruesse is so ridiculous that no response is needed. Think about it. He rolled around in the bottom of the barrel for so long, that any positive thoughts are necessarily clouded.

Yes but the secondary was depleted of a lot of experience. Leidner wasn't a great QB but he had a lot of experience. They have no QB with any experience at the beginning of this year. WR's is a pretty thing group after losing Drew. Fans are unrealistic if they expected a repeat of last year's record. This was the year that Kill's and Claeys's recruiting mistakes would stand out.

The secondary was depleted of experience due to the expulsions. That is the only part of your statements that isn't common in all of college football. Every team has to replace starters, who have lots of experience and sometimes that replacement in the following year doesn't have any. Yet they all seem to be able to find guys to fill in and some of them are even better than the person they replaced. Some are not as good. That is the great thing about college football, there are new faces every year and no team gets to keep guys on the field for more than 4 years.
Still don't understand why it is unrealistic to have expectations that are similar to last year. We have supposedly upgraded everywhere in the coaching staff, we're paying substantially more for those coaches, and we returned a pretty good nucleus of players from a team that had a successful season. Yes we have to break in new players at some key positions, yes the players and the coaches have to adjust to each other because of the new schemes, but they had an entire spring and summer to work on those so it's not like they haven't had any time to understand the systems.

Do the research - either on here in previous threads or online - there are many programs that do not regress because of a coaching change.

Who said anything about regressing?

I'd really hate to agree with some of Reusse's sentiments...but his notion that Fleck came in here acting like it was a complete overhaul project is the reason why we have struggled, more than injuries.
The culture culture culture rhetoric is becoming too much.

Kill built a good foundation, stop trying to rip up the concrete and just build the damn walls already...

Hilarious. How are some of the posters going to dodge this, since they have been posting the exact same thing? Essentially, they have to admit that Reusse is right. Ouch.

Whether Reusse is right or not, I think Fleck should carry around these words in his head. This isn't about his "aggrandizement" as Reusse said.

Reusse would criticize Jesus Christ, the Pope, or Ghandi if they became the Gophers head coach. It's his thing and very predictable. Why even pay attention? He's just a paid troll trying to gain clicks and and a rapidly declining number of newspaper readers.

The secondary was depleted of experience due to the expulsions. That is the only part of your statements that isn't common in all of college football. Every team has to replace starters, who have lots of experience and sometimes that replacement in the following year doesn't have any. Yet they all seem to be able to find guys to fill in and some of them are even better than the person they replaced. Some are not as good. That is the great thing about college football, there are new faces every year and no team gets to keep guys on the field for more than 4 years.
Still don't understand why it is unrealistic to have expectations that are similar to last year. We have supposedly upgraded everywhere in the coaching staff, we're paying substantially more for those coaches, and we returned a pretty good nucleus of players from a team that had a successful season. Yes we have to break in new players at some key positions, yes the players and the coaches have to adjust to each other because of the new schemes, but they had an entire spring and summer to work on those so it's not like they haven't had any time to understand the systems.

Are you dense? We recruited 1 DB in 2014 and he is no longer on the roster. Durr and Craighton, 2 guys we had to count on, have been injured. Our starting 2 safeties haven't played. Who should we find to "fill in?"

Reusse would criticize Jesus Christ, the Pope, or Ghandi if they became the Gophers head coach. It's his thing and very predictable. Why even pay attention? He's just a paid troll trying to gain clicks and and a rapidly declining number of newspaper readers.
Exactly. With Reusse, there's always something he hates.

About the only program he seems to have any respect for is Hugh McCutcheon and women's volleyball.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

The BTN network guys go to all the camps. They are very knowledgable. They said we looked slow. They ranked our talent 12th in the Big 10. That is rather pathetic.

Fatrick was all over Pitino for years. Magically, those articles have all dried up. If there is one thing about the Fatass from Fulda, it's that he is consistent.

Fatrick was all over Pitino for years. Magically, those articles have all dried up. If there is one thing about the Fatass from Fulda, it's that he is consistent.

LOL. I love the alliteration. I would expand it to Fatrick the F**ing Fastass from Fulda.

Exactly. With Reusse, there's always something he hates.

About the only program he seems to have any respect for is Hugh McCutcheon and women's volleyball.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I rarely read the StarTribune anymore because I refuse to pay the online rate and no longer want papers overflowing the recycle bin. Nonetheless, back in the day when I did read the Strib routinely, I enjoyed Reusse when he wrote about local HS sports and D3 or D2 college sports. He had a unique flavor there. His negativity on all things Gopher (maybe not volleyball?) have always been predictable and eye-rolling though.

Exactly...not even close to the same circumstances.
True at the beginning but Kill was still talking about how young we were in year 4.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Are you dense? We recruited 1 DB in 2014 and he is no longer on the roster. Durr and Craighton, 2 guys we had to count on, have been injured. Our starting 2 safeties haven't played. Who should we find to "fill in?"

No, are you?
My comment was about the year zero crap. We aren't in year zero, because there were players already here when PJ came in. The DB depth was impacted be the expulsions.
Was not talking about injuries that have happened this year to that position group. We had players there.

True at the beginning but Kill was still talking about how young we were in year 4.

Lol Impossible to argue that. It was annoying then too.

No, are you?
My comment was about the year zero crap. We aren't in year zero, because there were players already here when PJ came in. The DB depth was impacted be the expulsions.
Was not talking about injuries that have happened this year to that position group. We had players there.

year zero

noun

1.the beginning (1975) of the period duringwhich Cambodia was under the control ofthe Khmer Rouge

2.the beginning of revolutionary change

3.the beginning of any new system or regime

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

year zero

noun

1.the beginning (1975) of the period duringwhich Cambodia was under the control ofthe Khmer Rouge

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

That alone should have caused Fleck to pick a different tag line.

Exactly...not even close to the same circumstances.

What Fleck is getting into is worse, because of the win total from a easy schedule last year that was played with a 3-4 year starter at QB, there seems to be a belief among many fans that we would automatically win the same number this year again despite the fact most publications had us going backwards.

So PJ has to fight the perception that this was supposed to be a 8-10 win team, when experts and national media knew different.

Much of his time this year in press conferences has been trying to explain this to the majority of fans who are already upset, but many just don't get it.

With Kill, all the fans knew we would suck and none of us were delusional for the first year or two thinking we'd win 8-10 games.

I also think by then Kill had managed to extend his contract to a 7 year deal because he convinced everyone it was so bad.

The BTN network guys go to all the camps. They are very knowledgable. They said we looked slow. They ranked our talent 12th in the Big 10. That is rather pathetic.

I saw the same segment, but that is not true. Those guys just hate the Gophers.

Based on our BT record and the position we're in with injuries, it would seem moderating expectations are appropriate.

Top Bottom