Pat Reusse: Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is a master at lowering expectations

year zero

noun

1.the beginning (1975) of the period duringwhich Cambodia was under the control ofthe Khmer Rouge

2.the beginning of revolutionary change

3.the beginning of any new system or regime

The idea behind Year Zero is that all culture and traditions within a society must be completely destroyed or discarded and a new revolutionary culture must replace it, starting from scratch. All history of a nation or people before Year Zero is deemed largely irrelevant, as it will ideally be purged and replaced from the ground up.

Celebrating Goldy's birthday, the 1960 National Title team and PJ saying he was to connect back with those teams doesn't sound like a year zero kind of thing to do.
Along with that, out team GPA has improved. A year zero would have torn it down to nothing and then started to build it back up.

The idea behind Year Zero is that all culture and traditions within a society must be completely destroyed or discarded and a new revolutionary culture must replace it, starting from scratch. All history of a nation or people before Year Zero is deemed largely irrelevant, as it will ideally be purged and replaced from the ground up.
Celebrating Goldy's birthday, the 1960 National Title team and PJ saying he was to connect back with those teams doesn't sound like a year zero kind of thing to do.

He wants to connect a bridge to the past.

He wants that bridge to go over the era in between.... Holtz, Stoll, Gutey, Wacker, Mason, Kill, and especially Claeys and Brewster.
With the recent mess our program was in just last year, the whole year zero thing on purging what we had makes sense.

He wants that bridge to go over the era in between.... Holtz, Stoll, Gutey, Wacker, Mason, Kill, and especially Claeys and Brewster.
With the recent mess our program was in just last year, the whole year zero thing on purging what we had makes sense.

Don't feed the troll...

I think it is a great idea to make that connection.
That renders a year zero as non-existent though, per the definition stated above.

Along with that, out team GPA has improved. A year zero would have torn it down to nothing and then started to build it back up.

What about definition 3 "the beginning of any new system or regime"?

I cannot believe the Reusse lovers on here that eat up everything he says and then ignore the simple facts staring them in the face. Definition 3 is exactly what Fleck is saying "t is year zero for our culture and our program." Who cares if you like it or not, it fits the definition of the term. Now, you, Reusse and Soupcan can go be outraged about something else, like what kind of shoes Fleck wears to his press conference or at the games, whether he wears a tie or a sweatshirt, or other hard-hitting issues.

What about definition 3 "the beginning of any new system or regime"?

I cannot believe the Reusse lovers on here that eat up everything he says and then ignore the simple facts staring them in the face. Definition 3 is exactly what Fleck is saying "t is year zero for our culture and our program." Who cares if you like it or not, it fits the definition of the term. Now, you, Reusse and Soupcan can go be outraged about something else, like what kind of shoes Fleck wears to his press conference or at the games, whether he wears a tie or a sweatshirt, or other hard-hitting issues.

Contrary to what you may think, I do not eat up everything that Ruesse says.
#3 fits the definition for PJ. What about the definition I posted, does that fit? I don't think so, and it is in contrast to the definition you are using.
Using definition number 3, Tim Brewster could have been in year zero almost every season as they were installing a new offensive or defensive system most years.
I just think trying to sell year zero is being really disingenuous to the players who have been here multiple years and have had some success.

#3 fits the definition for PJ. What about the definition I posted, does that fit? I don't think so, and it is in contrast to the definition you are using.
Using definition number 3, Tim Brewster could have been in year zero almost every season as they were installing a new offensive or defensive system most years.
I just think trying to sell year zero is being really disingenuous to the players who have been here multiple years and have had some success.

Well, the key to understanding words is to understand the meaning of those words based on the context in which they are used. If I am playing basketball, make a few 3s in a row, and a teammate says I am on fire, I dont stop drop and roll.

Well, the key to understanding words is to understand the meaning of those words based on the context in which they are used. If I am playing basketball, make a few 3s in a row, and a teammate says I am on fire, I dont stop drop and roll.

Do you think that Steven Richardson or any player who was on last years team wants to hear anything about starting over, that we can't be good this year since we have no experience, that we are too young to be winning many games, that wins don't matter its the process that is important?
Those players have busted their asses for multiple years and have put the program on a successful path. PJ was brought in to take us to new levels, not to start over.

Fleck was a self-described Badger fan growing-up. The Sconnie's claim that their "Year One" was 1993. Nothing before that counts. Many Gopher fans have mocked the idea for years.

Not anymore apparently.

Don't care either way.

If you were hip and bad-ass like guys in the NFL, that's exactly what you be doing after hitting a string of threes.........stop, drop and roll. In fact, I'm gonna start doing that. Thanks for the idea. Then I'm gonna yell "fire in the hole mf'ers".

Do you think that Steven Richardson or any player who was on last years team wants to hear anything about starting over, that we can't be good this year since we have no experience, that we are too young to be winning many games, that wins don't matter its the process that is important?
Those players have busted their asses for multiple years and have put the program on a successful path. PJ was brought in to take us to new levels, not to start over.

Couldn't agree more. The fact he didn't think of that tells me he's not who he appears to be. "Forget about me, I love you". What a lie.

Fleck said it is "year zero for our culture and our program." No idea how that is disingenuous to current players, but I guess it is. Just admit you are taking the term out of context, just like Reusse is to stir up a non-existent controversy, and move on.

Serious question, cuz I haven’t been paying attention, but did fleck actually say “year zero” or is that something that has entered into the collective consciousness of the board from some type of hyperbole? Is there context?

Serious question, cuz I haven’t been paying attention, but did fleck actually say “year zero” or is that something that has entered into the collective consciousness of the board from some type of hyperbole? Is there context?

Fleck often refers to this year as “Year Zero,” an indication that implementing his program is more important than the record this year. That might be tough for some fans to take, because tickets aren’t listed with “Price Zero.”

From the Strib.

He has said it a number of times.

Here is the quote from Fleck's press interview, "[t]his is a brand new culture, a different culture, year zero of a brand new culture." From that quote, it has grown to he is selling out the seniors on the team, I guess.

Here is the quote from Fleck's press interview, "[t]his is a brand new culture, a different culture, year zero of a brand new culture." From that quote, it has grown to he is selling out the seniors on the team, I guess.

What does culture have to do with the performance on the field?

What does culture have to do with the performance on the field?

I have no idea, but I thought everyone said year zero meant lower expectations. Again, my whole point about people taking Fleck's year zero comment and morphing it into something completely different.

Exactly, who cares what he calls it. He would be selling out the seniors if he was playing less talented underclassmen to build for the future. The last I've checked, he's been extremely hesitant to pull redshirts and is playing seniors to the level that anyone knowledgeable about the team would expect.

Funny...Claeys got "Pelinied" after going 9-4 in his year zero.
Clearly this is a case of weight discrimination. Can we get a title lV committee organized to address the discrimination issues causing injustice on this campus? [emoji41]

Funny...Claeys got "Pelinied" after going 9-4 in his year zero.
Clearly this is a case of weight discrimination. Can we get a title lV committee organized to address the discrimination issues causing injustice on this campus? [emoji41]
Now it all makes sense why Reusse hates PJ.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Now it all makes sense why Reusse hates PJ.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

reused was just on 1500 and basically stated that he would have retired 3 years ago but he enjoyed stirring up the Gopherholers.

We are feeding the troll.

Fleck was a self-described Badger fan growing-up. The Sconnie's claim that their "Year One" was 1993. Nothing before that counts. Many Gopher fans have mocked the idea for years.

Not anymore apparently.

Don't care either way.

That's not close to the same thing. This is year zero or year one for Fleck. There is no disputing that.

For the record "Year Zero" was coined by the Khmer Rouge after their take over of Cambodia. They then went on to kill hundreds of thousands of people for being professionals, intellectuals, urban dwellers, ethnically Vietnamese etc.

Just saying there may be a better term for PJ to use than "Year Zero."

You think he means Year Zero as in Big Ten wins this year? Nah, just a bad thought after listening to the music on the uniform thread for this week.

The negative press in the city including Reusse will turn PJ into this after a couple of years (classic rant at :30 to 1:45)

Top Bottom