Pat Reusse: Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is a master at lowering expectations

'Year Zero' when used by an outside observer may be perfectly acceptable.

'Year Zero' when used by the head coach is self-serving and a terrible message to send to the team.

'Year Zero' when used by an outside observer may be perfectly acceptable.

'Year Zero' when used by the head coach is self-serving and a terrible message to send to the team.

People keep saying this, but does anyone actually have any idea how the team feels about it? I know I sure don't. Seems like most of us are projecting our own feelings onto the players. Some are outraged that the team has lost two games (and Fleck and co have made some tactical errors, which I agree with), so they're running with this narrative that the upperclassmen must somehow be offended and disheartened by all this talk. These are 22 year olds on college scholarships to play football. It ain't like this:

hqdefault.jpg

The negative press in the city including Reusse will turn PJ into this after a couple of years (classic rant at :30 to 1:45)

This honestly never gets old. Fantastic from start to finish. Where is this in the pantheon of coach meltdowns? Top 1 or 2 for me. All men have a limit. PJ's doorway presser after Purdue was pretty edgy...wild eyes..just saying. Gary Andersen was nearing the Burn's Precipice.

As always, there is a middle ground.

Let's imagine a parallel universe where Fleck's 1st press conference went something like this:

"The first year for a new coach in a program is a balancing act. We are coming in with new systems on offense and defense, and a new approach to how the team handles a lot of the off-the-field issues. The players who were here under the previous staff are going to have to adjust to all the change on and off the field, and I understand that some of them may handle the transition better than others. My staff and I are here to build for the future - but that does not mean we ignore the contributions of the returning players. As far as expectations, it's really hard to say. On first glance, the roster does appear to have some depth issues. Those will be addressed through recruiting, but that process takes time. Bottom line, we will do the best we can to put a competitive team on the field this season, while at the same time trying to lay a foundation for what we believe will be much more success in the future. How many wins does that translate to this season? I really can't say. We'll just have to let the season play out and see what happens. I just hope Gopher fans will give me and my staff a chance. Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys and the other coaches did a lot of good work to get the program to the place it's in today. We hope to take what they did and build on it. It won't happen overnight, but I think this program has room for growth, and a lot of potential. We hope to put an entertaining, competitive team on the field, and we hope the fans will support us in that effort."

The negative press in the city including Reusse will turn PJ into this after a couple of years (classic rant at :30 to 1:45)

Classic, I remember that like it was yesterday.

Burnzie presided over some of the most talented yet undisciplined and frustrating teams of my lifetime, but boy was he entertaining.

Let's imagine a parallel universe where Fleck's 1st press conference went something like this:

"The first year for a new coach in a program is a balancing act. We are coming in with new systems on offense and defense, and a new approach to how the team handles a lot of the off-the-field issues. The players who were here under the previous staff are going to have to adjust to all the change on and off the field, and I understand that some of them may handle the transition better than others. My staff and I are here to build for the future - but that does not mean we ignore the contributions of the returning players. As far as expectations, it's really hard to say. On first glance, the roster does appear to have some depth issues. Those will be addressed through recruiting, but that process takes time. Bottom line, we will do the best we can to put a competitive team on the field this season, while at the same time trying to lay a foundation for what we believe will be much more success in the future. How many wins does that translate to this season? I really can't say. We'll just have to let the season play out and see what happens. I just hope Gopher fans will give me and my staff a chance. Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys and the other coaches did a lot of good work to get the program to the place it's in today. We hope to take what they did and build on it. It won't happen overnight, but I think this program has room for growth, and a lot of potential. We hope to put an entertaining, competitive team on the field, and we hope the fans will support us in that effort."

That's classy for us adults, especially for those in the business world that are accustomed to that type of speech. All the 17 year-olds would have started nodding off or pulled out their smartphones by the 2nd sentence.

The BTN network guys go to all the camps. They are very knowledgable. They said we looked slow. They ranked our talent 12th in the Big 10. That is rather pathetic.
Bingo, the current team lacks speed especially the O-line, they are too slow to pull to the outside and get up the field, and cannot seal the edges of the line. When he talks about improving culture he is also talking about improving team speed. Pretty obvious the reason the Gophers lost to Maryland was because they were a step slow, Purdue loss could be pinned on a lack of foot speed also. You have to have fast guys and a lot of them if you want to win at the levels Fleck is talking about. That's always going to be a problem here, one thing we are not blessed with in the land of the Norske's is a lot of fast guys.

The BTN network guys go to all the camps. They are very knowledgable. They said we looked slow. They ranked our talent 12th in the Big 10. That is rather pathetic.

How different is that BTN report compared to the last 4-5 years?

That's classy for us adults, especially for those in the business world that are accustomed to that type of speech. All the 17 year-olds would have started nodding off or pulled out their smartphones by the 2nd sentence.

The press conference is directed at adults, not 17-year olds.

The press conference is directed at adults, not 17-year olds.

Sounds like you prefer PJ to be a two-faced fraud half the time. He just can't win with people like you. PJ has said more than once, his style is unique and that's not going to change. I prefer that.

Sounds like you prefer PJ to be a two-faced fraud half the time. He just can't win with people like you. PJ has said more than once, his style is unique and that's not going to change. I prefer that.

The only thing unique is that he’s full of BS. He’s insincere and self-absorbed. A leader doesn’t have to be the center of attention, he/she lets others take the lead. PJ, on the other hand, says, “Look at me and my culture.” It’s his culture, not our culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Would have been a nice approach. PJ could still adjust.

Not true. His schtick doesn’t work with all 17 year-olds. Some, of course, but some want a real person as their coach.

Yep. Would have been a nice approach. PJ could still adjust.

Please define "our" culture and who the "our" is. Maybe I just don't understand the culture in my state and at my alma mater.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Please define "our" culture and who the "our" is. Maybe I just don't understand the culture in my state and at my alma mater.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ok, let’s just let PJ define it if you want. What a stupid question.

The only thing unique is that he’s full of BS. He’s insincere and self-absorbed. A leader doesn’t have to be the center of attention, he/she lets others take the lead. PJ, on the other hand, says, “Look at me and my culture.” It’s his culture, not our culture.

Like when he awarded Juenemann the scholarship and he did all the interviews afterwards?

Who gets he most attention at programs like Alabama, Michigan, and Ohio St? A head coach should be the face of the program.

I get it, many people don't like his style. He's even said he isn't for everyone. But you've never talked to him, never been in meetings or locker rooms with him. How do you know so much about him? How do you know what is said behind the scenes?

Like when he awarded Juenemann the scholarship and he did all the interviews afterwards?

Who gets he most attention at programs like Alabama, Michigan, and Ohio St? A head coach should be the face of the program.

I get it, many people don't like his style. He's even said he isn't for everyone. But you've never talked to him, never been in meetings or locker rooms with him. How do you know so much about him? How do you know what is said behind the scenes?

I have talked with him. I have been in the room when he talked with a HS recruit.

I have talked with him. I have been in the room when he talked with a HS recruit.

And from that you gathered that he is insincere and self absorbed? Care to share any specifics?

And from that you gathered that he is insecure and self absorbed? Care to share any specifics?

You have never met someone and thought they were full of BS from the first handshake? I have never heard someone talk about himself so much ever.

You have never met someone and thought they were full of BS from the first handshake? I have never heard someone talk about himself so much ever.

I get the feeling you don't like his style and personality so that automatically makes him "full of BS". Other people have said they feel he is very sincere. You're entitled to your opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

People keep saying this, but does anyone actually have any idea how the team feels about it? I know I sure don't. Seems like most of us are projecting our own feelings onto the players. Some are outraged that the team has lost two games (and Fleck and co have made some tactical errors, which I agree with), so they're running with this narrative that the upperclassmen must somehow be offended and disheartened by all this talk. These are 22 year olds on college scholarships to play football. It ain't like this:

hqdefault.jpg

Good point. I haven't heard any rumors of disgruntled upperclassmen, even though there's bound to be a few with a coaching change. People act like Fleck using the term zero year is unraveling the team.

Do you like the approach Leach took last night throwing his team under the bus?

Good point. I haven't heard any rumors of disgruntled upperclassmen, even though there's bound to be a few with a coaching change. People act like Fleck using the term zero year is unraveling the team.

Considering the number of players who have been suspended for some reason or the other this year, do you really think any player would come out and say anything that would indicate they are disgruntled or don't like what is being done within the program?

Considering the number of players who have been suspended for some reason or the other this year, do you really think any player would come out and say anything that would indicate they are disgruntled or don't like what is being done within the program?
Funny how enforcing a standard becomes somehow abusive. Of course no player should speak out against enforcement of team rules. Who cares if they agree or not?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

So the smart move is to assume they are disgruntled, but are intimidated to speak out?

So the smart move is to assume they are disgruntled, but are intimidated to speak out?

I was not assuming anything. From your first post: I haven't heard any rumors of disgruntled upperclassmen, even though there's bound to be a few with a coaching change. I was asking the question, do you think they would say anything if they were disgruntled with things, seeing what has happened to other teammates?

I have said this in another thread, but a former high school classmate of mine who played in the NFL has a son who played for PJ at Western Michigan. I asked him right after the hire if he was the real deal or a snake oil salesman and he told me he’s the real deal. Good enough for me, let’s see how things are in year 3 or 4 before we make our judgment.

Top Bottom