Pioneer Press: Is record-setting Brennan Armstrong the Gophers’ next quarterback?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

As questions about the Gophers’ current stable of quarterbacks continues into mid-October this season, next year’s starter could be finishing up an undefeated season and record-setting career in Ohio.

Armstrong’s senior year, however, started with a suspension for violating training rules, he confirmed to the Pioneer Press. He missed the first three games because he said he attended a party last spring, but he affirms he did not drink alcohol before he left.

“That is what I got in trouble with,” Armstrong said. “… It was a learning experience. When something like that happens, I just have to get out of there and not worry about who I’m with.

“I learned the hard way. I will take care of it, and I will definitely not make that mistake again.”

Armstrong’s suspension shouldn’t be construed as a red flag, Shelby coach Erik Will said. The following day, Armstrong apologized and worked out in the weight room.

“He took ownership over it,” Will said. “… He didn’t make excuses. He knew that making excuses wasn’t going to make the situation any better.”

Will said Armstrong hasn’t missed a practice or workout in four years, and when the team runs sprints, Armstrong is at the front of the pack. “That is the kind of kid that Minnesota is getting,” he said.

The Shelby Whippets started 3-0 without Armstrong, and they are 4-0 with him over the past month. That record continues an upward trajectory that Will and Armstrong have led since 2014.

With three remaining high school games, plus playoffs, Armstrong will add to his existing school records: 9,153 total yards and 113 total touchdowns (61 passing, 52 rushing). Armstrong has a 3.5 grade-point average and takes advanced-placement courses that will allow him to graduate this winter and will enroll at Minnesota in January.

At the U, he will become acclimated to college life, get a jump start with spring practices next March and ultimately to compete for the Gophers’ starting QB role next fall.

“That is definitely my goal,” Armstrong said. “I think I bring a lot of play-making ability, and my arm is strong, too. … If I learn the stuff and stay true to myself, and stay true to what they give me in their process and game plan, I think I will be in great shape.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/1...ennan-armstrong-the-gophers-next-quarterback/

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully a grad transfer is. Tough sledding for any true frosh.

Top Bottom