Trick Plays?

Taji34

Reaction score
Do you think we'll start to see any trick plays in the playbook ever? I'm not saying we should play them often, but I definitely think they are great for certain moments when he offense is starting to stagnate and get predictable.

every team uses them (except us) is that a reason to do it?
my guess is that we see the trick play of running the read option up the middle a few more times, eventually the defense will not over pursue because they must think no coaching staff will run it 35 times in one game

At least on offense I'm not sure our OL isn't capable at this point. Time to develop isn't there... run a reverse and you're likely to get caught in the backfield.

Not that there aren't things to do but trick plays typically take practice time to work on. Not sure we want to do that while struggling with the basics.

At least on offense I'm not sure our OL isn't capable at this point. Time to develop isn't there... run a reverse and you're likely to get caught in the backfield.

Not that there aren't things to do but trick plays typically take practice time to work on. Not sure we want to do that while struggling with the basics.

You think they don't practice trick plays?

For this numbing offense, a simple screen pass would constitute a bolt of creativity. The key to this play is not allowing the defenders to wonder "why am I getting in so easily?" I think the Gophers have effectively suppressed this question.

Do you think we'll start to see any trick plays in the playbook ever? I'm not saying we should play them often, but I definitely think they are great for certain moments when he offense is starting to stagnate and get predictable.

Yes. Unless you mean something really radical. You know like a sweep play?

Yes. Unless you mean something really radical. You know like a sweep play?

I can pick up on your sarcasm, but in all honesty I'm looking for something like a fake punt/FG/Extra Point, maybe a handoff to a runner who then throws it (I know this has a name, I just don't know it), etc.

MSU will run at least 1 against us.

I can pick up on your sarcasm, but in all honesty I'm looking for something like a fake punt/FG/Extra Point, maybe a handoff to a runner who then throws it (I know this has a name, I just don't know it), etc.

HB Toss?

At this point, would Rhoda keeping it on the read-option constitute a trick play?

There are a lot of disagreements on this site, but I'm confident in saying we all know the Gophers should run a lot of flea-flickers. A. LOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In his first two seasons, Kill ran a few trick plays. There was a nifty fake field goal for a touchdown and an onside kick (which the NCAA eventually banned) against Iowa helping the Gophers retain Floyd. As the team got better, Kill pretty much shelved the tricks. I'm with you, we are approaching trick plays "we need them" territory.

In his first two seasons, Kill ran a few trick plays. There was a nifty fake field goal for a touchdown and an onside kick (which the NCAA eventually banned) against Iowa helping the Gophers retain Floyd. As the team got better, Kill pretty much shelved the tricks. I'm with you, we are approaching trick plays "we need them" territory.

Huh?

Trick plays go against our elite culture. [emoji41]

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...2014-and-gain-x2014-ncaa-rule-change-20150713

It was a cool play in its day.

History won’t wipe away a 2011 onside kick when four Minnesota players decimated two Hawkeyes, which enabled a surprise recovery and led to an 22-21 upset. But if the same play took place this fall, it would be nullified.

A kicking team’s players remain banned from blocking the receiving team before they were eligible to touch the ball. Starting this year, the NCAA’s rules committee deemed blocking on kickoffs reviewable, something for which Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz has lobbied.

“Coach Ferentz sent this play in the last couple of years,” said Bill Carollo, the Big Ten’s coordinator of football officials. “I couldn’t get it through for two consecutive years. So finally it went to the rules committee and said this is a safety issue. They can’t be blocking; the kicking team cannot block until they’re eligible to touch the ball.

“The receivers ... usually I’m waiting for this ball that’s kicked in the ground, and I’m defenseless and we’re blowing people up. Even if we’re not hitting them in the head, we’re blowing them up. So they can’t be blocking until the ball is touched by the receivers or the ball goes 10 yards.”

Yeah, I should have used one of these ;) but I was waiting to get on a plane.

Like to see a real trick play to, but until then would like to see them run outside more that once or twice a game.

For this numbing offense, a simple screen pass would constitute a bolt of creativity. The key to this play is not allowing the defenders to wonder "why am I getting in so easily?" I think the Gophers have effectively suppressed this question.

Bravo!

In my experience, players like trick plays. even if they don't always work, they show the team the coach is willing to try something different.

How about a down-and-out to Lingen, with a hook-and-ladder lateral to a trailing Brooks? I'd buy that for a dollar. (sorry, watched Robocop the other night.......)

In this offense, having Rhoda keep it on the read-option would constitute a trick play.

In the interest of developing a program, I'd prefer seeing a focus on fundamental execution. Without being able to succeed with the bread and butter, a defense can play straight up, making a trick play far more unlikely. Tricks work to counter expectations. Screen passes aren't great, because defenses are already keying on the RBs.

We ran a flea-flicker on our first offensive play of the game against Indiana in 2013. It was awesome.

The surprise motion offense against Iowa was also awesome. They were confused all day.

Top Bottom