Whose coaching act is better? Mike Zimmer the Grump or P.J. Fleck the Salesman?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Mike Zimmer doesn’t want to answer questions. P.J. Fleck all but interviews himself.

Zimmer usually wears sweats, except that on Vikings gamedays he wears his gameday sweats. Fleck showed up for his weekly Gophers news conference on Tuesday wearing bright-blue pants, matching tie, side-buckled brown shoes that looked Italian-ish and a snazzy checked sports coat that would have gotten most of us beaten up if we wore it in high school.

Zimmer is fluent in grumbling, and in his second language, eye-rolling. Fleck speaks in aphorisms and slogans and could sell you undercoating on a glass-bottomed boat.

There have been coaches, managers and front-office personnel in Twin Cities sports history who handled their public duties with grace, sometimes even eloquence. Paul Molitor does it. Leslie Frazier, Flip Saunders, Terry Ryan and Dwane Casey represented themselves and their organizations with class and good humor.

On the local football scene, there currently is no middle ground. Zimmer has become a grump, and Fleck is exactly the salesman we expected him to be.

Which do you prefer in a football coach?

http://www.startribune.com/whose-co...he-grump-or-p-j-fleck-the-salesman/450351593/

Go Gophers!!

What does the outcome of the poll matter? Soupcan will treat them like garbage either way.

"snazzy checked sports coat that would have gotten most of us beaten up if we wore it in high school."

This sounds autobiographical.

Good lord.

I haven't seen any of souhans writings for quite a while, and I guess a tiger can't change it's stripes. 1 or 2 sentence "paragraphs", mostly sprinkled in with what he believes are clever quips. Never giving any real information or insight. For an "opinion columnist" he rarely provides any informed insight.

What a hack.

People like Souhan have to think people are "acting" because they've never been part of something real their entire lives. Souhan, just because your writing and probably most of your existence is an "act" doesn't mean everyone else's is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't tell what Souhan despises most in his coaches: salesmen or seizures?

Successful coaches in the NFL seem to be the reserved/curmudgeon type like Belichick/McCarthy/Zimmer. Guys like Harbaugh and Carroll have a schtick that doesn't seem to work long-term at the NFL level. It takes a different skill set to motivate rich professionals as opposed to 19 year olds, to say nothing of recruiting and acting as the face of the program.

Recruit, develop, win. If a college coach does that, I don't care what his personality is.

Everyone seemed to like Zimmer when he started, but it's getting old with how grumpy he's getting. He's also kind of thin-skinned... last year with the slaughtered fat cat thing... that was odd how he took that personally.

PJ... Minnesotans think it's an act because no one in this state is that optimistic. He easy to hate because Minnesotans hate people with optimism.

Everyone seemed to like Zimmer when he started, but it's getting old with how grumpy he's getting. He's also kind of thin-skinned... last year with the slaughtered fat cat thing... that was odd how he took that personally.

PJ... Minnesotans think it's an act because no one in this state is that optimistic. He easy to hate because Minnesotans hate people with optimism.
Maybe you need to be more optimistic about Minnesotans. Your tone is very pessimistic.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

I actually don't think it's an act for either coach. Bottom line, win games and be honest. Don't feed us a bunch of BS. Oh, and win games.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Successful coaches in the NFL seem to be the reserved/curmudgeon type like Belichick/McCarthy/Zimmer. Guys like Harbaugh and Carroll have a schtick that doesn't seem to work long-term at the NFL level. It takes a different skill set to motivate rich professionals as opposed to 19 year olds, to say nothing of recruiting and acting as the face of the program.

Recruit, develop, win. If a college coach does that, I don't care what his personality is.

I like how you just called Zimmer a success in the NFL while calling Super Bowl Carroll winner and NFC winner Harbaugh long-term failures.

That was clever

If they win it's adorable almost no matter what they do.

From an entertainment standpoint I prefer PJ.

Zimmer's like a spouse after you get married. Doesn't dress up anymore, why bother, NFL Players have almost no choice who they play for no need to gild the lily. Fleck's stuck with a continuous search for people who like him enough to choose to play for him. Zimmer's schtick would be a complete failure at the college level, and PJ's salesmanship would be wasted in the NFL. It's apples and oranges

Zimmer's like a spouse after you get married. Doesn't dress up anymore, why bother, NFL Players have almost no choice who they play for no need to gild the lily. Fleck's stuck with a continuous search for people who like him enough to choose to play for him. Zimmer's schtick would be a complete failure at the college level, and PJ's salesmanship would be wasted in the NFL. It's apples and oranges

I have wondered if PJ would make a good NFL coach, and my belief is "no". I think he'd be horrible with any player making over $500k a year.

Good analogy on the married spouse.

Top Bottom