Isaiah Washington Question??

Washington does the same for Bakary who likely benefits from Washington dumping the ball off to him in the paint as opposed to setting high ball screens for Dupree.

I think this is a great point. Bakary is lacking in several areas, but he is large, strong and extremely explosive big fella. If he gets used to playing with IW and is ready for those dump off passes and lobs he can slam home a lot of easy buckets.

Bakary is lacking in several areas, but he is large, strong and extremely explosive big fella.

:confused:

"Explosive" is not a word I'd associate with BK in any way, shape or form.

Also, although he has bulked up in the upper body since he arrived, he is NOT strong in the lower body/core so as to hold rebounding positions, set strong screens, etc., nor is he strong with the ball in his hands. Lack of "basketball strength" is one of his biggest deficiencies. He gets the ball knocked out of his hands a lot, and has spindly legs like a baby giraffe and gets moved far too easily. I think it's one reason he gets called for a lot of illegal screens - he has trouble holding his position.

With Wash, we should never have problems breaking a press.

Who cares about who starts, its about who finishes, and I can see a IW/NM backcourt in crunch time

"Explosive" is not a word I'd associate with BK in any way, shape or form

He absolutely is. I'm not talking about taking someone off the dribble, I'm talking about quick jump, ability to get up fast.

Fast twitch muscle fibers, quick jump.. yes, explosive.

Guys like RS3, EE, Colt45, Gas, Bryce Webster, etc. = Not explosive around the rim.

He absolutely is. I'm not talking about taking someone off the dribble, I'm talking about quick jump, ability to get up fast.

Guys like RS3, EE, Colt45, Gas, Bryce Webster, etc. = Not explosive around the rim.
There were some gasps from the crowd yesterday when Konate moved legally with the ball and scored!

Washington already showed me he can adjust. After he threw failed rockets at BK in the first exhibition game, yesterday he gave him passes he could handle.

CMON MAN!!!!

Agreed. If Konate gets the ball under the rim with a little space, I fully expect him to go straight up and dunk it.

Just out of curiosity with IW's fast start for the Gophers, I went to Colorado's site to see what kind of start McKinley Wright is off to. Gophers fans were not pleased at the time last year that despite only 2 open scholarships, Pitino didn't land any local talent. As you'll recall, Washington committed before Wright's visit.

Colorado has only had one game so far, an exhibition. Wright scored nine points, had four assists, committed three turnovers and had two steals in 26 minutes. He got the most minutes of anyone on the roster, which is interesting. He also started, so it's fair to assume he'll play a lot for the Buffaloes this year.

While I would've been thrilled to have Wright a Gopher this year, I'm just as thrilled if not moreso to have IW off to a good start.

From a lineup balance standpoint, I don't think you gain much from having Washington start. If you look at our second unit you don't have much as far as shot creation, who would you rather have being ball dominant with a weaker supporting cast Dupree or Washington? I think DuPree compliments Coffey and Mason much more than Washington. Washington does the same for Bakary who likely benefits from Washington dumping the ball off to him in the paint as opposed to setting high ball screens for Dupree.

If I'm coaching, he's getting 25 minutes coming off the bench giving DuPree a breather and running the point when Mason needs rest.

I agree. Our starting lineup also loses a lot of length defensively if you start Washington over Dupree.

I think Isaiah is much better suited as a 6th man off the bench with the second unit due his ability to score in spurts when he heats up. He doesn't need talent around to set him up either. I want his offensive prowess to help out the second unit.

Maybe Konate should just stay down on the defense end. Not even come down on the offensive end. Haha

But who would set the moving screens? Kidding aside, look around the country. There aren't many back up centers better than Konate. The bar's not set that high of course, but Konate runs the court well and is a serviceable rebounder and shot blocker.

I agree. Our starting lineup also loses a lot of length defensively if you start Washington over Dupree.

I think Isaiah is much better suited as a 6th man off the bench with the second unit due his ability to score in spurts when he heats up. He doesn't need talent around to set him up either. I want his offensive prowess to help out the second unit.

100%

Washington, Mason, Coffey, Murphy, and Lynch does seem like our best line up. Dupree is so versatile that he is the ideal 6th man. He could sub for Washington, Mason, or Coffey and be a seamless fit. I just hope he'd be ok coming off the bench after starting the year as a starter. He'd be a sure fire starter next year so hopefully he'd keep that in mind.

The reason why is because IW is a pass first guy. Mason and Mcbrayer are both shoot first guys so when mason is struggling hitting 4/15 nobody else touches the ball and we go in long scoring droughts. So IW plays point, mason 2 so when he struggles, IW is still getting others touches. Love Mcbrayer of the bench because he is a shooter and scorer coming to 2nd group or instant offense. He reallly thrived in that roll last year where he had the most success.

The reason why is because IW is a pass first guy. Mason and Mcbrayer are both shoot first guys so when mason is struggling hitting 4/15 nobody else touches the ball and we go in long scoring droughts. So IW plays point, mason 2 so when he struggles, IW is still getting others touches. Love Mcbrayer of the bench because he is a shooter and scorer coming to 2nd group or instant offense. He reallly thrived in that roll last year where he had the most success.

IW is a pass first guy? I have not gotten that impression at all these first 2 exhibitions. This kid likes to score, and that’s totally fine by me.

I've never heard anyone describe IW as a "pass first" point guard. I have read multiple discussions about his value playing next to Mason as SG, because of his scorer's mentality.

IW wasn't a pass first PG in high school because he didn't have players around him that deserved the ball.

Get him in the right situation and his ability to break down defenders will be on full display.

He has the athleticism and handles to beat anyone in the country off the bounce. No one else on the Gophers team can do this. No one is really that close. (yes, I like Nate Mason but he isn't that kind of athlete/attacker)

Pass first

This thread... Lol, what does pass first mean anyway?

If I had to define what a "pass first" point guard is, I think of a guy like Doug Gottlieb (Notre Dame/Oklahoma State). Means a really good PG who gets a lot of assists, but not much of a threat to shoot/score. Having seen Jelly play only once, I definitely wouldn't define him that way.

Having seen Jelly play only once, I definitely wouldn't define him that way.

No, but he seems plenty willing to draw the defense and dish it. Score if it's there, pass if someone is in position to score... Guess I would just call him a point guard!

This thread... Lol, what does pass first mean anyway?

This thread was intended to dive into the reasoning behind his only ACC offer was from Ga. Tech. It got derailed quickly and because an argument surrounding his playing style. My original question still stands.

This thread was intended to dive into the reasoning behind his only ACC offer was from Ga. Tech. It got derailed quickly and because an argument surrounding his playing style. My original question still stands.

You've been given about 20 different potential reasons. If you want the exact reasons you'll need to ask Jelly and 5-10 coaches at other Universities that saw him play but didn't offer and then you'll have ~10 reason that were included in the 20 potential reasons already discussed on Gopherhole.

Good question. I would love to know the answer as well. My guess would be his lack of size played a factor. While it would be nice if all of our guards could be 6’-5” and super-athletic, I’ll take an Isaiah Washington any day! I think some of those schools in his back yard will soon be regretting not recruiting him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom