What position group is thinner: DB or WR?

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
With many injuries on both sides, the coaches are taking players from other positions to fill short term needs.

The WR group being thin is not a new thing in the past six years but we have been seen some really good secondaries until this year.

Any other guys that could step up? Is Hunter Register still a possibility? Could Eric Carter see a larger role?

It's hard to evaluate the WRs with OL and QB issues.

The thing is you can get by with one really good, and some ok WRs or even a couple bad WRs.

If you have one or two inexperienced guys in the secondary ... the other team is going to toast them enough times to put a game out of reach.

DB's:

We have 5 DB's in the 2-Deeps that are in their 1st or 2nd year in the program. There are 3 Wr's.

Overall we have 16, 1st or 2nd year players in the 2 deeps.

4 WR
3 OL
3 CB
2 S
2 DE
2 LB

DB's:

We have 5 DB's in the 2-Deeps that are in their 1st or 2nd year in the program. There are 3 Wr's.

Overall we have 16, 1st or 2nd year players in the 2 deeps.

4 WR
3 OL
3 CB
2 S
2 DE
2 LB

Thanks for the breakdown.
Just looking at the roster there are still a few touted guys that haven’t played offensive snaps that we might see at WR (Register, Hmielewski...).

Thanks for the breakdown.
Just looking at the roster there are still a few touted guys that haven’t played offensive snaps that we might see at WR (Register, Hmielewski...).

Drew has seen snaps. We have a handful of decent walk ons at WR that have seen snaps as well. I would say right now, WR is much deeper than DB.

So Douglas could have played either CB or WR. Was he that much better as a WR?

There have to be some guys that can be serviceable at WR that never play, but at CB it gets real thin in a hurry. If they ran poor Coney Durr out there on Saturday, things are bad, since he clearly is not recovered. So much for that 95 percent healthy BS.

Melvin Holland? is Register still on the team? There are probably some RBs that could play WR as well after a few days of practice.

So Douglas could have played either CB or WR. Was he that much better as a WR?

Most evaluators and schools thought he would be a better DB. One of the reasons PJ landed him is he agreed to let him try first at WR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have to be some guys that can be serviceable at WR that never play, but at CB it gets real thin in a hurry. If they ran poor Coney Durr out there on Saturday, things are bad, since he clearly is not recovered. So much for that 95 percent healthy BS.

Melvin Holland? is Register still on the team? There are probably some RBs that could play WR as well after a few days of practice.

Melvin Holland is injured, but Register has been playing on special teams. I wonder what the story with him not cracking the lineup is? Hands?

DB is definitely thinner, as I believe we have only 2 scholarship corners left active in Shenault and Durr. As for Hunter Register, last year after the Holiday Bowl he announced on twitter that he was a DB and showed a picture of him posing with the DB's post game. Sometime in the Spring, post coaching change, Register moved back to WR. For Fall camp, Register did not make the roster so that give you an indication of where he was on the depth chart. I would guess that the staff is considering moving Drew or Hunter to DB, but they both make more sense at S (especially Register) so that doesn't do much to help out the problem at CB. I would guess that Ayinde plays more CB and maybe even starts there given that Durr is not completely recovered.

Top Bottom