How many wins would Claeys have had this year?

How many wins would Claeys have had this year?

• 12 (12-0 and a 4 year extension)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • 11 (11-1 and a 4 year extension)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 10 (10-2 and a 2 year extension)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 9 (9-3 and who knows)

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • 8 (8-4 and probably replaced by Coyle)

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • 7 (7-5 and Coyle fires him)

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • 6 (6-6 and Coyle fires him)

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • 5 (5-7 and Coyle fired him after loss 6)

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • 4 (4-8 - Fired)

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • 3 wins or less (fired tarred and feathered by Coyle

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
I believe we would be 5-0 right now under Claeys based on how MD and Purdue went. There is no question our defense would be stronger and Rhoda would not be at the helm on offense, which I think would be an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with this. I believe 7-9 wins would have been where he would have ended up.

"I have to agree with this. I believe 7-9 wins would have been where he would have ended u"

My guess would be 7-8 wins. I know Fleck is the "motivation guy" but the bowl last year showed me the team rallied behind Claeys. That said, I think he would have been fired regardless. Winning is not the top priority for this administration - more important to set low expectations, make some money of Men's BB and Football and try to stay out of the news. I think they would honestly prefer the team to go back to cellar dweller status so the media stops covering the team completely. If it were not for the Big Ten money, I don't think they would even field a team - school pride and fan interest simply does not matter to them.

PJ Fleck however he works out was not a lowered expectations hire.

7-5 and it wouldn't have been a bad season.

Claeys would be 7-0 tight now, having also won over the hearts and minds of Gopher Nation and national pundits. Making Academics Great Again.

Probably a win or two less than last year, and maybe one or two more than PJ will get this year. But that should be expected. We are running new schemes on both sides of the ball, and the off field stuff is brand new as well. I believe PJ when he says his culture is different, which is to say he runs his program differently than most other coaches. I believe it because you can see it’s different just from a fan perspective. Imagine how different it is for the players.

We didn’t hire PJ for wins this year or even next year, we hired him for the chance to take that next step down the road. If he stays here long enough I think we can make it happen. The most important question I have is how long will PJ stay once he breaks through. I’m tired of the revolving door of coaches at the U. PJ mentioned it. Teams like us (Iowa, Wisconsin, maybe Michigan State) are where they are because they have coaching stability. We desperately need that here. Hopefully we now have our Kirk Ferentz, or Mark Dantonio, or Pat Fitzgerald.

I’m starting to fear that “year zero” refers to the number of B1G wins.

Claeys would be 7-0 tight now, having also won over the hearts and minds of Gopher Nation and national pundits. Making Academics Great Again.

Sorry I didn't include that as an option, but by some people's answers, that's true. And Winfield would never get hurt which would have been nice.

We would not have Rhoda, because the only reason he came back is due to Fleck, and everything I have read on GH leads me to believe Croft or some other QB is much better than Rhoda. Also, it sounds like Croft would not have been suspended by Claeys and would be playing, because several on GH know that is what would have happened, because, evidently, Fleck throws out discipline like Halloween candy and Claeys would never discipline a player for something trivial and many suspect Croft did not wear a collared shirt to class and is now paying his dues. I also read on GH that several players would not have been hurt and that Claeys would have signed several talented players in the 4 weeks he had left before NSD that would have been difference makers. In addition, GH posters lead me to believe that several unknown players would have become star DBs already under Claeys' tutelage and we would not have depth issues at numerous positions like Fleck has obviously caused.

So, GH leads me to believe that Claeys would have us at 5-0, though I think it would have been closer to 4-1.

Coyle is rolling in money he wouldn't have otherwise, he doesn't care about this year.

no, he has to write bigger checks. The extra revenue isn't paying for the increased payroll.

Kill after eliminating year zero: 26-20; 12-15 in B1G

We would not have Rhoda, because the only reason he came back is due to Fleck, and everything I have read on GH leads me to believe Croft or some other QB is much better than Rhoda. Also, it sounds like Croft would not have been suspended by Claeys and would be playing, because several on GH know that is what would have happened, because, evidently, Fleck throws out discipline like Halloween candy and Claeys would never discipline a player for something trivial and many suspect Croft did not wear a collared shirt to class and is now paying his dues. I also read on GH that several players would not have been hurt and that Claeys would have signed several talented players in the 4 weeks he had left before NSD that would have been difference makers. In addition, GH posters lead me to believe that several unknown players would have become star DBs already under Claeys' tutelage and we would not have depth issues at numerous positions like Fleck has obviously caused.

So, GH leads me to believe that Claeys would have us at 5-0, though I think it would have been closer to 4-1.

:clap:

I guess we might have had a few better players on the field without the suspensions. QB would be a crapshoot. We might have lost to MTSU or Buffalo. Maybe one more win.
However, a quality coach with good pedigree crazy enough to want to crawl into this situation may not have been available.
We need better players.

Attendance and interest would have been even lower than it is now. No ESPN show or fox9 weekly show. No weekly appearances on many radio shows.
Similar record or maybe 1 more loss due to even worse offense against OSU or MTSU.

True dat.

And remember it's all 'bout the HOW brother GFB. Like HOW they hangin? HOWdy Doody. HOW Kemosabi. Gordie HOWe. You see MSU's got the HOW down. We're still on the Who, What, Where, When and Why.

Are you tracking with this?

HOW true and HOW could I forget

I believe we would be 5-0 right now under Claeys based on how MD and Purdue went. There is no question our defense would be stronger and Rhoda would not be at the helm on offense, which I think would be an improvement.

The offense would certainly be different because Rhoda would not be at the helm. Better is debatable because we don't know who would be running the offense. In regards to the defense being stronger, what are you basing that on? The personnel would be essentially the same as what is out there right now. The Winfield injury is a tough one for this D to overcome based on how valuable he is.

It's likely we would have different DB recruits including Creamer, Layne, and possibly still H-H. The prior staff would not be as reluctant to plug in young players as they repeatedly did so.

Went with 7-5. Second choice would be 6-6. I think there were 3 main reasons Claeys was fired and this is one of them. IMO the team was going to take a step back this year, and Coyle knew he was probably going to fire Claeys at the end of the 2017 season. Would have had to give Claeys some kind of extension after the 2016 season if he wasn't going to fire him so he pulled the trigger a year early.

Attendance and interest would have been even lower than it is now. No ESPN show or fox9 weekly show. No weekly appearances on many radio shows.
Similar record or maybe 1 more loss due to even worse offense against OSU or MTSU.

Attendance maybe lower a bit, but long term TC or PJ both have to do the same thing to put a serious dent in attendance.

Yeah, that's pretty easy to say but hard to prove. They played at least 5 games last year without starters and won 4 of them.

As for attendance, unless there were a couple thousand of actual season ticket holders who said that "unless they hire P.J. Fleck, I'm not renewing my Season Tickets!" Most of that rhetoric is coming from people who barely go to games let alone have season tickets.

"Great hire! Yeah, about my promise to buy tickets..."

As for ESPN and the weekly tv and radio shows and radio apperances, before the season they were great! After the Buffalo game, not so much, but after the next two victories they were again good for the program and people who have to keep answering the "what do you think about Fleck" question. After the last two losses and the Offensive schemes and performances therein?

Bet the viewer/listener numbers are way down and they are generating as much snark as possible. Fleck's "rah, rah, can you believe" approach comes off a little hollow, and ripe for mockery, when they lose and look woefully unprepared while doing it.

You wouldn't have the feeble "but what about Claeys!" attempts, such as this poll, if people actually believed that Fleck and Company have been doing a good job. They come of as more of "Stay Calm! All is Well!" thing than a rational approach to what's gonna happen next.

They are struggling thru a lot of injuries. Though continuously focusing on the past staff and ignoring the present isn't going to change the mind of one person who isn't already in Fleck's camp.

P.J. has looked like a good hire to me from the get go. Now how and his staff respond to their problems the rest of the way will be crucial to confirming that.

Anybody talking about waiting until "2019 or 2020" is more likely a dreamer or trolling. Take your pick.

Nobody asked you to click on this thread. Leave if you don't like the topic. I swear, people gotta bitch about everything.

God, you are unabashedly clueless about yourself. That's all you do.

Yeah, that's pretty easy to say but hard to prove. They played at least 5 games last year without starters and won 4 of them.

As for attendance, unless there were a couple thousand of actual season ticket holders who said that "unless they hire P.J. Fleck, I'm not renewing my Season Tickets!" Most of that rhetoric is coming from people who barely go to games let alone have season tickets.

"Great hire! Yeah, about my promise to buy tickets..."

As for ESPN and the weekly tv and radio shows and radio apperances, before the season they were great! After the Buffalo game, not so much, but after the next two victories they were again good for the program and people who have to keep answering the "what do you think about Fleck" question. After the last two losses and the Offensive schemes and performances therein?

Bet the viewer/listener numbers are way down and they are generating as much snark as possible. Fleck's "rah, rah, can you believe" approach comes off a little hollow, and ripe for mockery, when they lose and look woefully unprepared while doing it.

You wouldn't have the feeble "but what about Claeys!" attempts, such as this poll, if people actually believed that Fleck and Company have been doing a good job. They come of as more of "Stay Calm! All is Well!" thing than a rational approach to what's gonna happen next.

They are struggling thru a lot of injuries. Though continuously focusing on the past staff and ignoring the present isn't going to change the mind of one person who isn't already in Fleck's camp.

P.J. has looked like a good hire to me from the get go. How how and his staff respond to their problems the rest of the way will be crucial to confirming that.

Anybody talking about waiting until "2019 or 2020" is more likely a dreamer or a trolling. Take your pick.

Good post with many a good point.
In my opinion replacing Claeys after the bowl game was a needed ripping off of a bandaid and then I also think the hire was a home but we won’t know that for a couple of years.

I’m okay with that if it means in year 9 we win 9 B1G games.

Doubt PJ would make it past year 4 if that is how his BIG win total is going to go, unless he is undefeated in NC play and winning bowl games, when they actually make them.

Top Bottom