How many wins would Claeys have had this year?

How many wins would Claeys have had this year?

• 12 (12-0 and a 4 year extension)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • 11 (11-1 and a 4 year extension)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 10 (10-2 and a 2 year extension)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 9 (9-3 and who knows)

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • 8 (8-4 and probably replaced by Coyle)

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • 7 (7-5 and Coyle fires him)

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • 6 (6-6 and Coyle fires him)

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • 5 (5-7 and Coyle fired him after loss 6)

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • 4 (4-8 - Fired)

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • 3 wins or less (fired tarred and feathered by Coyle

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
Good post with many a good point.
In my opinion replacing Claeys after the bowl game was a needed ripping off of a bandaid and then I also think the hire was a home but we won’t know that for a couple of years.

Understood.

The contract Kaler offered Claeys meant that the next A.D (Coyle) was hired to fire the Coach. People who were disgusted by the scandal ans said they were through with the program aren't coming back. Or at least not yet.

A 2-3 win season this year means that Fleck's job will become very difficult and selling tickets for next season, let alone in 2019 or 2020 , damn near impossible.

Understood.

The contract Kaler offered Claeys meant that the next A.D (Coyle) was hired to fire the Coach. People who were disgusted by the scandal ans said they were through with the program aren't coming back. Or at least not yet.

A 2-3 win season this year means that Fleck's job will become very difficult and selling tickets for next season, let alone in 2019 or 2020 , damn near impossible.

Hate to break it to you but they've won 3 games already. And if you're digesting finishing 6-6 will dramatically impact season tickets in a negative way, you're insane.

Understood.

I don’t know about this. I think Fleck will recruit well and his coaching staff will get on the same page. If the team wins 4 or 5 this year but shows improvement in the years ahead the fans will come.
It took Kill a little while but I got season tickets after his first 3 win season because I believed he was putting in a system that he was confident could win. I don’t remember people being this negative about Kill during his first year but maybe I am wrong?

Understood.

Ticket sales may dip, but all the ticket sales comes down to beating bigger names and some good bowl appearances and wins that's it.... and even then the bump in sales likely will lag a year.

A super stinky season won't change the formula much at all.

Hate to break it to you but they've won 3 games already. And if you're digesting finishing 6-6 will dramatically impact season tickets in a negative way, you're insane.

Nice try Johnny One Note!

Was talking about how a 2 or 3 win season would kill season ticket sales for next season. Your brilliant mind figured out that they already have 3! Getting shut out the rest of the way, and losing a couple more trophy games will destroy attendance for next year. Winning those trophy games will certainly stave-off an empty TCF.

I would have said "you should have known that", but as we all have seen you're just not very bright,

Ticket sales may dip, but all the ticket sales comes down to beating bigger names and some good bowl appearances and wins that's it.... and even then the bump in sales likely will lag a year.

A super stinky season won't change the formula much at all.

Pretty true. Next year they have New Mexico State, Fresno State and Miami of Ohio at home in the Non-Conference schedule. The home Big Ten schedule includes IA, IN, Purdue and Northwestern. Only a few more good wins this year will help sell tickets to that dreadful slate of games.

The football team tamping down expectations certainly ain't gonna help.

Only guys like Johnny One-Note find that so hard to grasp.

Hey, but as this poll says "What about Claeys!" :rolleyes:

Nice try Johnny One Note!

Was talking about how a 2 or 3 win season would kill season ticket sales for next season. Your brilliant mind figured out that they already have 3! Getting shut out the rest of the way, and losing a couple more trophy games will destroy attendance for next year. Winning those trophy games will certainly stave-off an empty TCF.

I would have said "you should have known that", but as we all have seen you're just not very bright,

Why are you putting 2-3 wins when they already have more than 2? Hard to follow with weird mistakes like that. Apologies

Pretty true. Next year they have New Mexico State, Fresno State and Miami of Ohio at home in the Non-Conference schedule. The home Big Ten schedule includes IA, IN, Purdue and Northwestern. Only a few more good wins this year will help sell tickets to that dreadful slate of games.

The football team tamping down expectations certainly ain't gonna help.

Only guys like Johnny One-Note find that so hard to grasp.

Hey, but as this poll says "What about Claeys!" :rolleyes:

Don't discount the draw of seeing Indiana in MN for the first time in a decade!

It's hard to know how many wins Claeys would have had. But I know how many he has, "0".
:)

Probably a win or two less than last year, and maybe one or two more than PJ will get this year. But that should be expected. We are running new schemes on both sides of the ball, and the off field stuff is brand new as well. I believe PJ when he says his culture is different, which is to say he runs his program differently than most other coaches. I believe it because you can see it’s different just from a fan perspective. Imagine how different it is for the players.

We didn’t hire PJ for wins this year or even next year, we hired him for the chance to take that next step down the road. If he stays here long enough I think we can make it happen. The most important question I have is how long will PJ stay once he breaks through. I’m tired of the revolving door of coaches at the U. PJ mentioned it. Teams like us (Iowa, Wisconsin, maybe Michigan State) are where they are because they have coaching stability. We desperately need that here. Hopefully we now have our Kirk Ferentz, or Mark Dantonio, or Pat Fitzgerald.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, and we just got rid of a 9 win coach in his first full season of being a head coach. Is that really that smart? I'm not so sure. Claeys would not have had the turnover, and would stole a few players at the end, and would have won 9 again this year with his players.

But that doesn't mean that hiring PJ was wrong. Young, energetic coach, had success at WMU...

Just don't talk to me about how we need to change the culture. Tracy's "culture" was just fine. It was that pile of garbage Coyle who brought everything on PJ by talking total trash about Claeys at the press conference.

Can we move on ? Will we ever move on???

Just don't talk to me about how we need to change the culture. Tracy's "culture" was just fine. It was that pile of garbage Coyle who brought everything on PJ by talking total trash about Claeys at the press conference.

That was HIS reason, not mine or many others. I will say from what it sounds like PJ is a little more strict than Tracy was, but that doesn’t mean Tracy didn’t have a good culture necessarily. What can’t be denied is that there were several kids who who were found to have broken student conduct rules and kicked off the team. Not getting into whether or not it was fair or justified, the fact remains it happened. Made it very easy for the A.D to make the switch. I’m a Claeys guy, so I would have preferred Coyle to just say we’re going in a new direction, but obviously he felt like he needed more justification to fire a 9 win coach. Regardless it’s water under the bridge and I think we’re all better off supporting this team and this coach. I think the fans staying generally positive can only help the team overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the biggest thing is how will PJ recruit? Wins matter.

Top Bottom