STrib: Four injured Gophers starters will miss Michigan State game; Rhoda still QB1

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Safety Antoine Winfield Jr., who suffered a hamstring injury early in the Sept. 30 loss to Maryland and missed the Purdue game, won’t play against Michigan State. That will leave the Gophers without their best defensive playmaker and the player they like to match up against an opponent’s best offensive threat.

In addition, cornerback Kiondre Thomas (leg), wide receiver Phillip Howard (head) and offensive tackle Nick Connelly – all starters who were injured against the Boilermakers – won’t play against the Spartans.

The Gophers could see the return of senior safety Duke McGhee to the lineup. McGhee, who sat out the past two games because of a disciplinary suspension, will “possibly be back,’’ Fleck said. “We’ll see how his week of practices goes.’’

Fleck reiterated that Conor Rhoda will remain the starting quarterback.

“If there was a better answer today, I would have somebody else in there. That’s not the better answer,’’ Fleck said. “He’s the better answer for our football team. He’s proven that he can run this offense very efficiently. But he’s also make mistakes. What I want to be able to say is, ‘Watch him grow from those mistakes.’ ’’

http://www.startribune.com/four-injured-gophers-starters-will-miss-michigan-state-game/450107923/

Go Gophers!!

CgcYU6I.gif

Hope Weyler is back. It's a shame Howard is out and the Purdue player just keeps playing. BT absolutely sucks at targeting calls. Worst in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can Refs tack on Targeting to a play being reviewed?

per Randy:

Safety Antoine Winfield Jr., who suffered a hamstring injury early in the Sept. 30 loss to Maryland and missed the Purdue game, won’t play against Michigan State. That will leave the Gophers without their best defensive playmaker and the player they like to match up against an opponent’s best offensive threat.

In addition, cornerback Kiondre Thomas (leg), wide receiver Phillip Howard (head) and offensive tackle Nick Connelly – all starters who were injured against the Boilermakers – won’t play against the Spartans.

The Gophers could see the return of senior safety Duke McGhee to the lineup. McGhee, who sat out the past two games because of a disciplinary suspension, will “possibly be back,’’ Fleck said. “We’ll see how his week of practices goes.’’

Fleck reiterated that Conor Rhoda will remain the starting quarterback.

“If there was a better answer today, I would have somebody else in there. That’s not the better answer,’’ Fleck said. “He’s the better answer for our football team. He’s proven that he can run this offense very efficiently. But he’s also make mistakes. What I want to be able to say is, ‘Watch him grow from those mistakes.’ ’’

http://www.startribune.com/four-injured-gophers-starters-will-miss-michigan-state-game/450107923/

Go Gophers!!

This has to be a mistake, because in another thread some dude told us that Croft was the new starter from here on out. Can't make this sh!t up.

I'm waiting for the position chart to confirm who is/isn't playing/starting.

Absolutely, happened to gophers last year. Doesn't need to be called on the field. Unbelievable some of the non targeting calls against gophers last couple years.

Absolutely, happened to gophers last year. Doesn't need to be called on the field. Unbelievable some of the non targeting calls against gophers last couple years.

2nd only to the "targeting" calls on the Gophers last year (most of them, anyway).

This has to be a mistake, because in another thread some dude told us that Croft was the new starter from here on out. Can't make this sh!t up.

All the playing time Rhoda is getting this year is reallly going to pay off for our QB situation next year. Just you watch.

All the playing time Rhoda is getting this year is reallly going to pay off for our QB situation next year. Just you watch.

IALTO. Shows how horrible the alternatives are and that next year's starter is not on the roster.

Yes. If you mean if they would have reviewed the Howard hit. Targeting could have been tacked on after review even if no flag was thrown. My understanding is that the replay booth could have even buzzed the field official to initiate a review.

We are down to Shenault and a bunch of (young) walk ons at CB. Durr isn't close to 100%. Talk of playing some WRs at DB that presumedly haven't played defense since high school, if ever.

If PJ isn't going to play one of Harris, Estes, or Beck (can he play at corner?) it's very likely going to be a horror show. Couple that with his stubborn allegiance to Rhoda and we will be lucky to score double digits on offense.

I reset my expectations after Purdue. I'm resetting them further this week. We have met the enemy, and he is...

IALTO. Shows how horrible the alternatives are and that next year's starter is not on the roster.

Yep....damn Les. We're really starting to agree on things. Maybe we need to get together for a round of golf. Being a 9 HDCP , you would have to give me a few strokes aside. :)

We are down to Shenault and a bunch of (young) walk ons at CB. Durr isn't close to 100%. Talk of playing some WRs at DB that presumedly haven't played defense since high school, if ever.

If PJ isn't going to play one of Harris, Estes, or Beck (can he play at corner?) it's very likely going to be a horror show. Couple that with his stubborn allegiance to Rhoda and we will be lucky to score double digits on offense.

I reset my expectations after Purdue. I'm resetting them further this week. We have met the enemy, and he is...

Note the weird loyalty coaches have had for a decade here for "blue collar" QBs who can't run and pass at about 55% but fit into the system and are liked by the coaches because they are tough.

I pretty much agree. I predicted a narrow Gopher win this week, but I'd definitely change that to a loss (and a bad one) if all 4 of these players are out.

Note the weird loyalty coaches have had for a decade here for "blue collar" QBs who can't run and pass at about 55% but fit into the system and are liked by the coaches because they are tough.

Mitch couldn't run?

Leidner was 59.5% and 56.4% his last 2 years, which is not great but at least he could run.

Stubborn allegiance would imply he has a better option. Fleck gets to see Rhoda, Croft and Green every day in practice. Plus what we've seen from Croft on the field. It's not like we have Joe Montana sitting on the bench right now. Fleck isn't dumb. If there were an option that he felt was more likely to win, he'd play them. Unless you think he's intentionally tanking this season for some reason.

Stubborn allegiance would imply he has a better option. Fleck gets to see Rhoda, Croft and Green every day in practice. Plus what we've seen from Croft on the field. It's not like we have Joe Montana sitting on the bench right now. Fleck isn't dumb. If there were an option that he felt was more likely to win, he'd play them. Unless you think he's intentionally tanking this season for some reason.

I think it goes back to the thought that if this is the best option, and with Rhoda starting the Gophs are not going to win many more games, why not get the future in at QB now?

I think it goes back to the thought that if this is the best option, and with Rhoda starting the Gophs are not going to win many more games, why not get the future in at QB now?

Assuming what the other poster said... because Coft is not as good?

And who said Croft is the future QB? PJ has been talking up Morgan and keeping his redshirt on...

Maybe he wants to win as many games as possible this year? Just a thought.

Maybe he wants to win as many games as possible this year? Just a thought.

Didn't say it is my thought or that I agree with it. There are plenty of other posters out here saying it though.

I'm in the camp of play the combination of players who give you the best chance to win each week.

Assuming what the other poster said... because Coft is not as good?

And who said Croft is the future QB? PJ has been talking up Morgan and keeping his redshirt on...

Not saying Croft is, but future's obviously not Rhoda. See post #28.

Not saying Croft is, but future's obviously not Rhoda. See post #28.

The future is Saturday. And the rest of this season. Fleck may start Rhoda because he gives us the best chance to win.

Top Bottom