STrib: Four injured Gophers starters will miss Michigan State game; Rhoda still QB1

The future is Saturday. And the rest of this season. Fleck may start Rhoda because he gives us the best chance to win.

I responded directly to another post...which I assume you read...so, what really is your point?

Like I posted last Sunday. He's a Leidner-Like passing QB, with none of Leidner's running ability.

Stubborn allegiance would imply he has a better option. Fleck gets to see Rhoda, Croft and Green every day in practice. Plus what we've seen from Croft on the field. It's not like we have Joe Montana sitting on the bench right now. Fleck isn't dumb. If there were an option that he felt was more likely to win, he'd play them. Unless you think he's intentionally tanking this season for some reason.

Reading between the lines, listening to the press conferences, all the interviews Fleck repeatedly brings up the leadership angle. Right now he feels he needs a certain type of personality at QB and clearly Croft is not it. Many observers at practice felt Croft was a better player. Some mentioned Rhoda's penchant for bad decisions which is starting to rear its head.

I have not seen enough to declare Croft doesn't have "it" as a football player. Rhoda is not performing at a high level, certainly not high enough to win any Big Ten games without a solid defense, which we don't currently have (pending returning players and torn red shirts).

Regarding coach's belief to not burn red shirts, didn't he play true freshmen QB at WMU? Corey Davis was also a true freshman. Any others? Has the philosophy changed - just curious if he's ever commented on that.

Like I posted last Sunday. He's a Leidner-Like passing QB, with none of Leidner's running ability.

I agree he lacks the running toughness that Leidner had, but he also is a better passer in my opinion.

Regarding coach's belief to not burn red shirts, didn't he play true freshmen QB at WMU? Corey Davis was also a true freshman. Any others? Has the philosophy changed - just curious if he's ever commented on that.

Terell was a redshirt freshman. He also planned on playing two freshman receivers before Bell got hurt. He also said he's going to burn another redshirt this week, which I assume will be at CB.

Reading between the lines, listening to the press conferences, all the interviews Fleck repeatedly brings up the leadership angle. Right now he feels he needs a certain type of personality at QB and clearly Croft is not it. Many observers at practice felt Croft was a better player. Some mentioned Rhoda's penchant for bad decisions which is starting to rear its head.

I have not seen enough to declare Croft doesn't have "it" as a football player. Rhoda is not performing at a high level, certainly not high enough to win any Big Ten games without a solid defense, which we don't currently have (pending returning players and torn red shirts).
It has become abundantly clear that our current defensive coordinator and staff are a significant drop off from Sawvel and company.
We were spoiled with creative genius by the former and now we are saddled with mediocrity at best with our defensive staff.

It has become abundantly clear that our current defensive coordinator and staff are a significant drop off from Sawvel and company.
We were spoiled with creative genius by the former and now we are saddled with mediocrity at best with our defensive staff.

Our defensive staff looked amazing the first 3 games when we had Winfield and Duke. Probably the best 3 consecutive games I have ever seen out of a Gophers defense in my lifetime.

Our defensive staff looked amazing the first 3 games when we had Winfield and Duke. Probably the best 3 consecutive games I have ever seen out of a Gophers defense in my lifetime.

Agreed and don’t feed the trolls (Mennosota).
The hobbled defense also held a good Purdue offense to 16 points through 58 minutes and generated 4 turnovers.

Agreed and don’t feed the trolls (Mennosota).
The hobbled defense also held a good Purdue offense to 16 points through 58 minutes and generated 4 turnovers.
I don't blame the kids, but you're watching a different game if you think the defensive schemes this year have been superior to the last few years.
We had an absolutely depleted defense in the bowl game and yet last year's staff came up with a gem of a scheme. This year's staff just provides soft serve vanilla every game.

I believe BU, OSU, and MTSU are all ranked 100+ right now. We did look good those games, no doubt, just not sure that is a big deal. I also recognize the player issues the last 2 games skews those games the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't blame the kids, but you're watching a different game if you think the defensive schemes this year have been superior to the last few years.
We had an absolutely depleted defense in the bowl game and yet last year's staff came up with a gem of a scheme. This year's staff just provides soft serve vanilla every game.

I agree that the bowl game defensive planning and execution was excellent. They had 3 weeks to practice that and had standouts on defense like Damarius Travis and Jalen Myrick. Duke McGhee also played in that game before being ejected. There is not much left in the secondary and considering that these guys did a solid job until the last drive against Purdue.

The bowl game, the bowl game, the bowl game....

Our defense didn't always play like that under the last regime. If our defense had been able to stop Wisky, Nebraska or Penn St in the 4th quarter Claeys might still be here.

I believe BU, OSU, and MTSU are all ranked 100+ right now. We did look good those games, no doubt, just not sure that is a big deal. I also recognize the player issues the last 2 games skews those games the other way.

With the exception of TCU our non-conference schedule hasn't been much to speak of for a while. Last year we played Oregon St, Indiana St and Colorado St and gave up 23, 28 and 24 points.

I'll start blaming Robb Smith and the defensive schemes when we are back to full strength and can't stop anyone.

The bowl game, the bowl game, the bowl game....

Our defense didn't always play like that under the last regime. If our defense had been able to stop Wisky, Nebraska or Penn St in the 4th quarter Claeys might still be here.
Do you think this year's defense will fair well against Nebraska and Wisconsin as well as Michigan? We seem to be watching two different games.

Do you think this year's defense will fair well against Nebraska and Wisconsin as well as Michigan? We seem to be watching two different games.

He is right though (John Galt). You need to forget about last year and support the current team and coaches. That era is over and while it had some good moments, many on here complained about the cheap wins last year, Leidner's faults, RUTM...

It depends on who is healthy.

He is right though (John Galt). You need to forget about last year and support the current team and coaches. That era is over and while it had some good moments, many on here complained about the cheap wins last year, Leidner's faults, RUTM...

As a opposed to quality losses this year? Five minutes from 5-0...

As a opposed to quality losses this year? Five minutes from 5-0...

Are you complaining that the Gopher coach said the two losses were close games or that the players gave a lot of effort?
Seriously quit your complaining and either enjoy the reboot or follow a new team. If you enjoy dwelling on the past or being negative then I guess your current state of mind is a good one for you.

Are you complaining that the Gopher coach said the two losses were close games or that the players gave a lot of effort?
Seriously quit your complaining and either enjoy the reboot or follow a new team. If you enjoy dwelling on the past or being negative then I guess your current state of mind is a good one for you.

Shoe, meet other foot. Just pointing out the juxtaposition. Guess that's upsetting to you.

It's the present that is hard to enjoy.
It's the excuses that is hard to enjoy. It's the meaningless mantras that is hard to enjoy (RTB, HYPPR, Year Zero, etc.)
No one is complaining about the efforts of 18-22 year olds. The lack of enjoyment stems from the less than elite job being done by coaches who make excuses for their poor work.
PJ needs to not just verbalize "it's 100% on me" but he needs to actually make his "elite" better everyday. He is failing at doing the very thing he's preaching. It's better if he just stops talking and goes about the business of showing us his elite coaching skills.

Shoe, meet other foot. Just pointing out the juxtaposition. Guess that's upsetting to you.

Shoe meet other foot? You mean me pointing out that last year people complained about Claeys having soft wins? That wasn’t me and I thought that was dumb as well.
Claeys is gone which I know is hard for some people. The team is thin on depth and talent right and if still is 2 years from now then the current staff will be in a Gary Andersen type of position. I hope we all agree that would be a bad thing?

It's the present that is hard to enjoy.
It's the excuses that is hard to enjoy. It's the meaningless mantras that is hard to enjoy (RTB, HYPPR, Year Zero, etc.)
No one is complaining about the efforts of 18-22 year olds. The lack of enjoyment stems from the less than elite job being done by coaches who make excuses for their poor work.
PJ needs to not just verbalize "it's 100% on me" but he needs to actually make his "elite" better everyday. He is failing at doing the very thing he's preaching. It's better if he just stops talking and goes about the business of showing us his elite coaching skills.

So you guys that don’t like his talk won’t stop talking until either he stops talking or wins at a high level?

Shoe meet other foot? You mean me pointing out that last year people complained about Claeys having soft wins? That wasn’t me and I thought that was dumb as well.
Claeys is gone which I know is hard for some people. The team is thin on depth and talent right and if still is 2 years from now then the current staff will be in a Gary Andersen type of position. I hope we all agree that would be a bad thing?

It wasn't directed at you, it was a general observation on what you just pointed out (soft wins), and how many Flecksters hammer folks who comment that the Gophs were a couple plays from wins in the losses to Penn State and Neb.

So you guys that don’t like his talk won’t stop talking until either he stops talking or wins at a high level?
I am not asking to win at a high level. I'm asking to win the games we should win. Both Maryland and Purdue are games we should win with the players we have.

It wasn't directed at you, it was a general observation on what you just pointed out (soft wins), and how many Flecksters hammer folks who comment that the Gophs were a couple plays from wins in the losses to Penn State and Neb.

I haven’t seen many Flecksters marginalizing last years 9 win season or the quality of the wins. Some of us (I guess i am a [emoji1434] ster) have pointed out that certain position groups were left thin or lacking in quality.
Not trying to give the new staff a free pass, but pointing out that it’s going to be a stretch to get to 6 wins.

I am not asking to win at a high level. I'm asking to win the games we should win. Both Maryland and Purdue are games we should win with the players we have.

I think the team that played at Corvallis (health and suspension wise) could have won one or both of these games. The current squad was competitive in the two Big Ten teams, but I don’t think many outside observers watching those two games would say the Gophers were more talented.

I haven’t seen many Flecksters marginalizing last years 9 win season or the quality of the wins. Some of us (I guess i am a [emoji1434] ster) have pointed out that certain position groups were left thin or lacking in quality.
Not trying to give the new staff a free pass, but pointing out that it’s going to be a stretch to get to 6 wins.

Well, I beg to differ on that one. There's been plenty of posts doing just that.

I agree he lacks the running toughness that Leidner had, but he also is a better passer in my opinion.

He looked like it the first few weeks but he regressed last week badly with lack of pocket presence and throwing off the back foot. Hope they addressed that this week in practice

He looked like it the first few weeks but he regressed last week badly with lack of pocket presence and throwing off the back foot. Hope they addressed that this week in practice

Yeah I had a chance to watch the post storm part of the Purdue game last night for the first time and he looked pretty rough on those last two drives.

Top Bottom