2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

McElwain won his division in his first two years, and is the only coach in SEC history to do so. He didn't have middling results.

Gee, why'd he get fired with those spectacular results?

No one could watch Florida the last two years and conclude "that's the second best team in the SEC. They won their division!" They were the 5th or 6th best team in the conference both years. I.e. middling.

A couple questions about the coaching changes.

1. Is Tennessee / Gruden 99% bull crap or 100% bull crap?

2. Is Jimbo going to A&M? Really? People leave FL St?

3. Is Tennessee going to look like idiots again?

4. How much is Scott Frost going to get paid.

5. (Not a question) - with early signing period, this is going to make for an interesting end to the season with some coaches maybe getting offers before the existing coach is gone. (Mike Riley).

6. What retread will end up in Kansas?

1. I'm drinking the kool-aid and would think it would be fun to see. I feel like it is 51/49 in favor of happening. His son was on the football staff at TN and has stated numerous times he loves the school.

2. I think this is more outlandish than the Gruden Rumors.

3. If they don't get Gruden the Vegas leader in the clubhouse would be Memphis' Mike Norvell. If I was a Vol fan I wouldn't be too excited about that hire especially after this Gruden rollercoaster.

4. His Agent has to be loving all these openings.

5. Agree. A lot of pressure on A.Ds to maneuver around the signing period and not decimate an early recruiting class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one could watch Florida the last two years and conclude "that's the second best team in the SEC. They won their division!" They were the 5th or 6th best team in the conference both years. I.e. middling.

Division Champs*

The same reason Claeys got fired - they committed the cardinal sin of not being hired by the current AD. It certainly wasn't for performance.

All a team can do is win its division. It doesn't matter whether you're the second-best or ninth-best team in your conference. You're one of only two playing in the championship game.

1. I'm drinking the kool-aid and would think it would be fun to see. I feel like it is 51/49 in favor of happening. His son was on the football staff at TN and has stated numerous times he loves the school.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is an insanely stupid post.

In 2016, Florida was AT WORST the 3rd best team in the SEC. Most observers would likely have them as the second best team in the SEC. The only team you could even argue might have been better than Florida (other than Bama) was Auburn and that was a coin flip. They beat LSU - - at LSU and had a better record.

In 2015, they went 7-1 in the SEC. You call that "middling"? They smashed Ole Miss (who I am sure is one of the teams you have ranked higher than them). Their losses were at LSU, Florida State, Alabama, and Michigan. That's it.

They were horrible this year and they wanted to put their own guy in. That's why he was fired. He wasn't fired because they were "middling". . . that's insane.

He got fired because he was not hired by the current AD. He did not get along with really anyone in Florida. They used the "death threat" thing as an excuse to fire him and put their own guy in.

What type of plane does a big-time program usually have?

You're responding to a guy that "doesn't believe in" recruiting rankings, so take that FWIW.

And the "program" that owns this plane is the state of Nebraska, not the University of Nebraska. The plane is typically used to shuttle people from Lincoln to Omaha turning the typical 1 hour drive into a 1 hour flight, but at least you don't sit in traffic. I think they also shuttle people out to the Sand Hills Golf Club for various boondoggles.

Nothing says a big-time internet poster like an abbreviation of Minneapolis by using Mnpls. Maybe he means "Minnesota? Please :rolleyes: "

A couple questions about the coaching changes.

1. Is Tennessee / Gruden 99% bull crap or 100% bull crap?

2. Is Jimbo going to A&M? Really? People leave FL St?

3. Is Tennessee going to look like idiots again?

4. How much is Scott Frost going to get paid.

5. (Not a question) - with early signing period, this is going to make for an interesting end to the season with some coaches maybe getting offers before the existing coach is gone. (Mike Riley).

6. What retread will end up in Kansas?

1. 100% bullcrap. His name comes up every time they have an opening. Yea, he was a grad assistant there like 30 years ago. Yea, his wife was a cheerleader there. Yea, his son goes to school there. It really doesn't make much sense other than those reasons. He could have had it at pretty much any point in the last decade or so and has never pulled the trigger, and I don't know why he would all of a sudden make the jump now. He hasn't even been involved in the college game for over 25 years so I find it kind of funny that they want him so bad.

2. No. He has a contract that pays him $5.5M+ through 2025 with a bunch of automatic renewals built in. The fans aren't getting restless with him at all and basically see this year as a blip on the radar. Unless there is something else going on there is no reason to think he wants out.

3. Maybe. Depends who they get. I think they are going to end up with Norvell or Bobo, and many Tennessee fans would see that as a disappointment. If I were them I would go open up the checkbook and go hard after Mullen. Not sure if he'd take it, but he'd be my number 1 target.

4. I think he ends up at Nebraska for around $5M a year.

5. Yes, that does throw a wrench in things. ADs are going to want to have a guy in place at least a week before signing day.

6. No clue. They might be best to give Beaty a little more time. No big names would be willing to go there. It's going to take time to fix that trainwreck.

In 2016, Florida was AT WORST the 3rd best team in the SEC. Most observers would likely have them as the second best team in the SEC. The only team you could even argue might have been better than Florida (other than Bama) was Auburn and that was a coin flip. They beat LSU - - at LSU and had a better record.

In 2015, they went 7-1 in the SEC. You call that "middling"? They smashed Ole Miss (who I am sure is one of the teams you have ranked higher than them). Their losses were at LSU, Florida State, Alabama, and Michigan. That's it.

They were horrible this year and they wanted to put their own guy in. That's why he was fired. He wasn't fired because they were "middling". . . that's insane.

He got fired because he was not hired by the current AD. He did not get along with really anyone in Florida. They used the "death threat" thing as an excuse to fire him and put their own guy in.

I don't know if I'd say that is the only reason he got fired. He is supposed to be an offensive guy and Florida's offense has been pretty bad the whole time he has been there. His teams mostly depended on the defense that had been built before he got there and a pretty weak SEC East. He also made some really odd comments in press conferences that would have caused issues with any administration. I don't doubt that the AD wants his own guy in there, but McElwain didn't do himself any favors along the way. Still has a 44-28 record as HC and made bowl games in 4/5 full seasons as HC. He'll get another job fairly soon. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a lower level Power 5 job.

Maybe according to 247. They were only ranked 8th in SEC talent in 2016 per 247. In 2015 they were 7th. McElwain was a loser at recruiting and that's what really counts.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just watched the video on that.
He did a good job of delivering. No smirk. Good deadpan delivery right there.

Figured you guys would get a kick out of this.

IMG_20171115_113630.jpg

Solid tweet by "John Ivory". I bet that Gator fans were excited when Chip Kelly was announced as their head coach today.

On PTI today they said another name being floated for the Vols is bringing back Lane Kiffin! Oh please make this happen.

On PTI today they said another name being floated for the Vols is bringing back Lane Kiffin! Oh please make this happen.

Fleck and Kiffin as Co-Head Coaches!! Can you imagine these two co-existing?:clap:

2. I think this is more outlandish than the Gruden Rumors.

I thought that too, then I read this.

http://gridironnow.com/seminole-fans-underestimate-texas-am-at-your-own-peril/

The heart of the article is this table:

Category
Ticket sales
FSU ----- A&M
$17,445,095 ---- $41,710,523
Contributions
FSU ---- A&M
$15,840,981 ---- $32,806,055
Recruiting budget
FSU ---- A&M
$655,785 ----- $884,700
Head coach's salary
FSU ---- A&M
$7,437,349 $6,304,582
Assistant coaches' salaries
FSU ---- A&M
$5,329,311 ---- $4,082,237
Total operating expenses
FSU ---- A&M
$42,547,101 ---- $29,945,769
Total operating revenues
FSU ---- A&M
$66,023,711 ---- $99,563,727

The article's conclusion is that A&M is every bit as good as FSU. FSU has more tradition, A&M has more resources.

Top Bottom