2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

- It has been speculated that Fulmer, still bitter about Currie being named AD, sabotaged the hiring process for a new football coach over the last few weeks. Once it got really bad, there was basically a coup between Fulmer and some influential boosters to take over for the Currie/Haslam contingent.

Also, it's Rumor that Haslem wanted Mel Tucker when it came down to the most recent couple of candidates and Fulmer went against him again with the Pruitt hire. Always good drama on the hill.

How did Fulmer sabotage the hiring process?

Was he calling these other coaches saying "No, don't take the money. It's a mess over here!"

I haven't seen anything specific. I'm guessing it was more behind the scenes. Since the coaching contracts require approval from the chancellor maybe he was in her ear telling her not to approve the hirings? Hence, why the Schiano MOU was never finalized, why they wouldn't approve the funds for Brohm's buyout, and why they said no to Leach even though most of the fan base would have loved him. That's really just a guess though.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/01/ph...t-tennessee-so-whats-next-in-coaching-search/

I'm really disappointed in myself that I did not already know about the Fulmer Cup. This stuff is priceless.

Our FBS champs in 2017 are the Ragin' Cajuns who had a bizarre combination of events: A player was arrested for an alleged rape in a dorm room; afterward, 13 of his teammates were charged with felony theft for stealing from their accused teammate's room! Two wrongs (or in this case 14 wrongs) don't make a right... but they do score Fulmer Cup points!

USF's Hassan Childs got 3 bonus points for each time he was shot after pulling a gun on family.

In the years since the Cup was created, other players have scored more points than Nathanial Robbins, however few have reached the sheer level of variety in one night that went really, really south. To summarize: After an argument at a bar where his girlfriend accused him of cheating on her, he tried to make up and fell asleep on her couch. She finds his phone and is upset at some texts he sent, so she threw water on him. To quote Sublime: That's when things went out of control. During the ensuring argument, Robbins (6'5", 265 lbs) grabbed his girlfriend and threw her around the room, including grabbing her by the throat and attempting to choke her. Somehow during this time he also burned a giant teddy bear he had bought for her on the apartment's stove (arson charge stems from this). During the fracas, both of his girlfriend's roommates tried to stop him but were also assaulted. The roommates then went to a neighbor's to call 911. Two police arrived as Robbins was trying to break into the neighbor's apartment. At this point an officer got between Robbins and his girlfriend and drew his firearm, telling him to get on the ground. Robbins chose to tackle the officer down a flight of stairs, knocking the second officer down in the process. More police arrived and subdued him after a struggle. The end result? 15 counts (originally 18): 8 felonies, 7 misdemeanors, and a lot of points.

How did Fulmer sabotage the hiring process?

Was he calling these other coaches saying "No, don't take the money. It's a mess over here!"
I don't remember if it was PAPN or Football Four but it was made very clear that Fulmer was interfering with the process. He has wanted to be the AD since he got fired. Fulmer also had a grudge against the guy who just got fired (forgot name).

Read bizzle’s excellent summary post, it explains why. Long story short: warring “tribes” within the organization.

That’s a fundamental aspect of humanity ... sad but absolutely true.

Read bizzle’s excellent summary post, it explains why. Long story short: warring “tribes” within the organization.

That’s a fundamental aspect of humanity ... sad but absolutely true.

Look around us our whole society today. Tribalism in any organization or governance is the ruination.

Look around us our whole society today. Tribalism in any organization or governance is the ruination.

It truly is the downfall of humanity.

It does motivate teamwork, within the tribe, but too much hatred of other tribes.

I would be hard pressed to think of an FCS head coach that moved directly into a P5 job.

Usually FCS coaches get a crack at a G5 job, and if they do well in the G5, then move up to the P5.

I took "BCS" to mean P5. There are so many acronyms ... it can get confusing.

Here are the main ones to know:

Official NCAA "sub-divisions" of DI for college football:
FBS - bowls ... this was formerly called DI-A
FCS - playoff ... this was formerly called DI-AA

Media names to describe the "haves" and "have-nots" of the FBS:
P5 - power 5 (Big Ten, PAC12, Big 12, ACC, SEC, + Notre Dame)
G5 - group of 5 (Mountain West, MAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, American, + BYU and Army)

Post-season systems:
BCS - this is the old system, that had five bowl games at the end (championship was separate and would rotate among Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange). Used the AP poll, coaches poll, and a bunch of computer rankings.
CFP - this is the new system, which has six bowl games (the four mentioned above, plus the Cotton and Peach), two of which are considered the semi-finals of a four team bracket, an then there is a seventh game that is the two winners, which is played after the bowl games in some bid out NFL stadium. Uses a committee to form its own ranking.

As far Kent and Lafayette go ... in my opinion, both would be well served by giving a successful FCS coach, or even a D2 coach, a chance.

I would be hard pressed to think of an FCS head coach that moved directly into a P5 job.

Usually FCS coaches get a crack at a G5 job, and if they do well in the G5, then move up to the P5...

Sorry you were so confused. Didn't mean P5 conference exclusively. Used BCS to mean any team that plays above that FCS level, because they are still playing to get into a Bowl Game i.e. Pac12, MWC, AA, Sun etc. Have any FCS Coaches or Athletic Directors from an FCS level school moved to a BCS level school this season?

The answer is no then?

Sorry you were so confused. Didn't mean P5 conference exclusively. Used BCS to mean any team that plays above that FCS level, because they are still playing to get into a Bowl Game i.e. Pac12, MWC, AA, Sun etc. Have any FCS Coaches or Athletic Directors from an FCS level school moved to a BCS level school this season?

The answer is no then?

The acronym you want to use then, is FBS. Or DI-A is fine in my book too, that's the old school for that.

Anyway, I would have said no, but dpo provided two examples ... maybe the only two in the last few decades.

As far Kent and Lafayette go ... in my opinion, both would be well served by giving a successful FCS coach, or even a D2 coach, a chance.

ULL did that last time with Hudspeth, had success, and then infractions. I doubt that they'll do that again. In fact, their fan base is thinking they have a shot at Kevin Sumlin.:rolleyes:

Interesting side note, the doom of the program was the infractions and Jay Johnson leaving.

Looks like there are three positions still open: Kent, Lafayette and SMU.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...college-football-coaching-rumors-changes-2017

By the way, saw a link for this and OMG does it describe a typical Gopher coaching search. Just think of the last two searches - the names pretty much fill themselves in:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...-football-coaching-search-rumors-houston-nutt

Hopefully we won't have to use that randomizer anytime soon...
Awsome links

Btw.... SMU hired Sonny Dykes, former Cal COACH. In fact, he is planning to coach them in their bowl game next week!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The acronym you want to use then, is FBS. Or DI-A is fine in my book too, that's the old school for that.

Anyway, I would have said no, but dpo provided two examples ... maybe the only two in the last few decades.

The question was were any hired this season. So the answer seems to be no.

Awsome links

Btw.... SMU hired Sonny Dykes, former Cal COACH. In fact, he is planning to coach them in their bowl game next week!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That must have gotten updated minutes after I looked at it.

Crazy he's coaching the Bowl Game only 9 days after taking the job, but I read the Associate Head Coach left with Chad Morris to go to Arkansas. Dykes said it was basically out of necessity.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/11/16761508/sonny-dykes-smu-head-coach-bowl-game

Some other updates:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ned-277m-6-plus-years-scrapped-tennessee-deal

More details about the Tennessee - Schiano debacle. Now it is beyond apparent, to me, that the whole "uproar" thing was a flat out scam and lie, used for cover. Fulmer was back there screwing up the deal from the get go, and had help from Tenn admin that wanted to sabotage Currie in favor of Fulmer. I'm completely convinced that's how it went down.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-state-leaving-defensive-coordinator-sun-bowl

Herm Edwards won't get his wish to hang on to the DC from this season, who was only at AZ St for one year after leaving Baylor from the scandal.

A chance for Tracy Claeys?? Probably not, unless he has some connection with Edwards.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...coach-mike-houston-10-year-contract-extension

The head coach at James Madison, one of the top if not the top FCS program currently, signed an extension to stay for 10 more years. They won the natty last year and could easily do it again this year.

Have to think that JMU is going to make a hard push for FBS in the next few years. Their program is in a similar position to where App State was at before they moved up.

I like the Dykes hire.

He had LA Tech going well, then was given the chance to coach Cal. Had them trending up to 8-5 in 2015, then regressed to 5-7 in 2016 and was fired. Should've gotten another year, IMO.

Herm's plan to keep coordinators already takes a hit as OC Napier is getting out of town.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good. Make Edwards hire his own OC and DC, as both will have now left the AZ State program.

Not yet a done deal but looks like Syracuse co-offensive coordinator Sean Lewis becoming the next Kent State coach later this week.

Source: Adam Rittenberg on Twitter

Herm's plan to keep coordinators already takes a hit as OC Napier is getting out of town.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That my friends, would be awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it too late to schedule ASU for sometime around 2019-2022?
I don’t see this Herm Edwards thing working out.

Not yet a done deal but looks like Syracuse co-offensive coordinator Sean Lewis becoming the next Kent State coach later this week.

Source: Adam Rittenberg on Twitter

Football Scoop says Lewis will be hired by Ken State in a five year deal. Warinner stays with MN, it seems.

Top Bottom