2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

This Tennessee coaching search is amazing. Now they have fired their AD so do they let some interim AD hire the new coach? Sure that will go over great with the new AD.

v78008otr8101.jpg

Sheesh! Good luck to them turning things around too soon. It seems that they let the boosters and fans influence decision making.

Why did they even fire Butch Jones? His record starting in 2013 was 5-7, 7-6, 8-4, 9-4, and 4-8 in 2017. However, they were 0-8 in SEC East conference play. That will do it down there although they lost close games against Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky. I think Butch Jones could have turned things around in 2018. You'll never know now.

What nutnik would want to walk into that dumpster fire?

Sheesh! Good luck to them turning things around too soon. It seems that they let the boosters and fans influence decision making.

Why did they even fire Butch Jones? His record starting in 2013 was 5-7, 7-6, 8-4, 9-4, and 4-8 in 2017. However, they were 0-8 in SEC East conference play. That will do it down there although they lost close games against Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky. I think Butch Jones could have turned things around in 2018. You'll never know now.

What nutnik would want to walk into that dumpster fire?

Look at Fulmer's run. They fired him too, after 5-7 season.

1993 - 2004 he had no less than 8 wins per season, and one national title among several conference division titles, champ games, and bowl games. 2005 he went 5-6, no bowl game. Bounced back in 2006 and 2007, at 9-4 and 10-4 respectively. Then 5-7 in 2008 and fired.

And Tennessee is reported to now have fired the AD, Currie

What a mind boggling move. I understand to some extent the displeasure with where the search is now, but firing him is not going to improve that.

You hire what should be a pretty reasonable choice for coach. You get so much pressure from legislators, gubernatorial candidates, alumni, etc. (based off one guy's statement that has been vehemently denied) that you virtually have no choice but to pull out. You then go after several other reasonable choices and they turn you down because of the interference above. You then find someone supposedly interested who has done a great job at two schools (the Pirate), and the Regents won't allow it (I'm assuming based on Craig James' personal campaign against him), and fire you over that choice.

Maybe he should have known what a sh!t storm he was going to stir up with the Schianno hire, but to me that's the only mistake he's really made, if that was a mistake. I understand the whole guilty until proven innocent thing, but there has not been a single corroborating report to what was said in the testimony.

At this point I'd be happy to be out of there.

Just looked it up and found this link that says Currie is owed $5.5 million dollars. OMG - I'd be doing cartwheels right now. Get out of that dumpster fire AND get that kind of money? Yes, please!

https://twitter.com/MichaelReports/status/936648213255413760

This coaching search has already cost the University nearly $14 million, between Currie and Jones' buyouts. Add in potential lawsuit from Schiano, plus the normal costs of running a coaching search ... damn, Tennessee, you are doing this dumpster fire thing better than anyone I've ever seen.

Meanwhile, Mississippi State goes and gets their man with zero drama and quickly, A&M goes and makes a home run hire with their mountains of cash, UCLA pulls in a huge name in short order ... further highlighting just how bad Tennessee must be.

This coaching search has already cost the University nearly $14 million, between Currie and Jones' buyouts. Add in potential lawsuit from Schiano, plus the normal costs of running a coaching search ... damn, Tennessee, you are doing this dumpster fire thing better than anyone I've ever seen.

Meanwhile, Mississippi State goes and gets their man with zero drama and quickly, A&M goes and makes a home run hire with their mountains of cash, UCLA pulls in a huge name in short order ... further highlighting just how bad Tennessee must be.

This is the most revealing thing. Everyone else seems to have their guy lined up and ready to go. Hell, it sounds like FSU already has their offer ready to go. I bet UCF has their guy ready to go and they're not even a P5.

Their facilities are as good or better than just about anybody. Friends son goes there.
They have spent a money like crazy. Check out their facilities page.

I'm sure that's true. I just thought it was a rich statement to make, not that it was false.

TA&M is second only to Texas in the amount of revenue collected by the athletic dept.

ESPN reports Jimbo to A&M. Reportedly he will not be coaching FSU on Saturday as they try to get to bowl eligible.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ng-florida-state-accept-coaching-job-texas-am

Hope they lose the game, actually. Let their season be done. This game shouldn't have been allowed to be scheduled for this week, when normally just the ACC championship game occurs.

What a mind boggling move. I understand to some extent the displeasure with where the search is now, but firing him is not going to improve that.

You hire what should be a pretty reasonable choice for coach. You get so much pressure from legislators, gubernatorial candidates, alumni, etc. (based off one guy's statement that has been vehemently denied) that you virtually have no choice but to pull out. You then go after several other reasonable choices and they turn you down because of the interference above. You then find someone supposedly interested who has done a great job at two schools (the Pirate), and the Regents won't allow it (I'm assuming based on Craig James' personal campaign against him), and fire you over that choice.

Maybe he should have known what a sh!t storm he was going to stir up with the Schianno hire, but to me that's the only mistake he's really made, if that was a mistake. I understand the whole guilty until proven innocent thing, but there has not been a single corroborating report to what was said in the testimony.

At this point I'd be happy to be out of there.

Just looked it up and found this link that says Currie is owed $5.5 million dollars. OMG - I'd be doing cartwheels right now. Get out of that dumpster fire AND get that kind of money? Yes, please!

https://twitter.com/MichaelReports/status/936648213255413760

The whole thing was a scam. Fulmer wants to be the AD and clearly the admin are rigging it so that Fulmer becomes the new AD. Seems odd they hired Currie then, only nine months ago. Guess the timing for Fulmer wasn't right then, for whatever reason.

Wonder if Fulmer will try again on Cutfliffe? Or if he'll try Doug Marrone or Dave Clawson.

After burning nearly every coaching bridge so far with the search Tennessee is gonna have to pay major bucks for their 15th choice of coach. Can't imagine a coaching search going more poorly and makes our previous foibles in coaching searches seem incredibly minor in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching carousel is always entertaining. So glad we are not a part of it this year.

How bout this A&M AD Scott Woodward?

As Washington AD: Bring in Chris Petersen when everyone wanted him and no one could get him

As Texas A&M AD: Reels in Jimbo Fisher who is one of only four active coaches with a natty

I'd say Scotty is earning his paychecks.

This sounds fun:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This sounds fun:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In 3 or 4 years I would very surprised if we are watching a Husker team winning 52-35 games every week. He may prove to be able to adjust his style to conditions and personnel, but i don't see him able to bring in the personnel to Lincoln to succeed with their current style.

Is anyone else surprised by the $$$ going to some of these coaches?

Scott Frost. Great hire. But $5 million a year. (That's about 10t-12th overall).

Jimbo at $7.5 of course. He's proven.
Paul Chryst is a bargain at $3.2

Arkansas, Tennessee, and FSU could all be hiring at over $4,000,000.

How is the hiring of Mullen affect our recruiting of Curtis Dunlop?

We are his dream job. No worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could you see Fleck instilling his "culture" at FSU? He'd be tossed before the ACC season started. Those folks want national championships immediately.

Could you see Fleck instilling his "culture" at FSU? He'd be tossed before the ACC season started. Those folks want national championships immediately.
They FSU have the athletes to win right away and compete for national titles. Fleck would be foolish not to considerate it if FSU even were interested. There is no comparison of the types of athletes FSU gets compared to Minnesota. Saying all of that I just don't see FSU pursuing Fleck.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Apparently he's staying with UCF for the bowl game, which seems odd.

Top Bottom