2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

Lol agents have to be calling Tennessee right now seeing if they can get their guy into this goat rodeo, even if they have no intent to leave their current jobs.

NCState coach gets his raise and stays at N.C. State. How does Tennessee AD have a job? There is no hire changing the fall out.

The AD had his guy to begin with. Pitchfork Nation changed that. Yes the AD has to share some of the blame but not sure what else he can do at this point except reach further down the list.

yes-this-is-dog-no-i-will-not-coach-tennessee.jpg

Bet you they go with Tee Martin. Might be the only thing that saves this now. They can spin that they decided to go with true Orange blood.

Bet you they go with Tee Martin. Might be the only thing that saves this now. They can spin that they decided to go with true Orange blood.

I hope Tee Martin gouges them big time after the way he's been treated.

In the end, Brady Hoke will be the new HC.

They haven't gone far enough down the list yet to talk with PJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope Tee Martin gouges them big time after the way he's been treated.

Honest question, have they treated him poorly? I think he would be a great fit, but I figured their hesitation was no head coaching experience. It would be strange for a school of Tennessee's pedigree to go with someone who has never been a head coach.

Taggart and Brohm already have schools knocking on their doors. Maybe these schools don't understand the importance of building culture?

Taggart and Brohm already have schools knocking on their doors. Maybe these schools don't understand the importance of building culture?

Or, possibly they are down on PJ as they don't know Barry Alvarez struggled in his first year at WI. We should keep that under wraps.

Honest question, have they treated him poorly? I think he would be a great fit, but I figured their hesitation was no head coaching experience. It would be strange for a school of Tennessee's pedigree to go with someone who has never been a head coach.
I'm not saying Tee is a garaunteed sucess but the SEC has hired plenty of assistants as head coaches, including two in Missisippi this week. He's more than qualified now that they are a handful of candidates beyond the underwhelming Greg Schiano. It's become a near slap in the face to Tee at this point. A sliver of me is wondering whether Haynesworth (gasp) may be on to something...

Yeh, that's absolutely it.
No one wanted to hire PJ but us.

I'm not saying Tee is a garaunteed sucess but the SEC has hired plenty of assistants as head coaches, including two in Missisippi this week. He's more than qualified now that they are a handful of candidates beyond the underwhelming Greg Schiano. It's become a near slap in the face to Tee at this point. A sliver of me is wondering whether Haynesworth (gasp) may be on to something...

Kind of looking like Sumlin, but he is a little lighter than Tee.

Kevin Sumlin? Kevin Steele? Les Miles? Only fired coaches options now? - Knoxnews

At least they see some humor in it.

"If Tennessee's coaching search were a military venture, someone likely would have sounded "retreat" by now.

At the least, shouldn't UT athletic director John Currie be summoned back from the field? Time to regroup.

Better yet, just pretend the past week never happened. "Snap and clear," as recently fired Tennessee coach Butch Jones would say. Then start over with a fresh group of candidates. You might even consider a new point man for the mission.

More: Kevin Sumlin: 5 things to know about potential UT Vols football coach

Instead, UT scurries ahead desperately. Things are going so badly, the Vols are now scouring through the bin of fired coaches for candidates.

Kevin Steele's name has come up. So has Kevin Sumlin's.

Some fans even seem infatuated with former LSU coach Les Miles, who was fired a month into the 2016 season. I couldn't imagine a much worse hire for Tennessee.

The Vols have problems on offense. So did Miles.

The Vols have trouble getting the most from their talent. So did Miles.

Now, let's consider more legitimate options.

Steele has had a great season as Auburn's defensive coordinator. But he went 9-36 at Baylor in his only head coaching job.

Sumlin has a much better track record. He was 35-17 in four seasons at Houston and 52-26 in six seasons at Texas A&M.

More: UT Vols football: Dave Doeren staying at NC State after interest from Tennessee

However, Sumlin lost five games in each of his last four seasons at College Station. That's why the Aggies fired him. They expected more.

Tennessee's expectations are dwindling with every rejection. It couldn't hire Jeff Brohm from Purdue or Dave Doeren from North Carolina State. When Doeren turns you down, it's time for personal inventory.

But Currie is still wandering around in the firing fields, looking for a coach who at least can win an SEC game — an achievement that eluded Jones in his fifth and final season.

In the meantime, Florida has hired Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, and Mississippi State has hired former Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead. He went 38-13 in four seasons as Fordham's coach and was roundly praised for his play calling at Penn State.

Moorhead's name never came up in conjunction with the UT job. Perhaps, Currie couldn't get his number.

And why wouldn't Tennessee be interested in Memphis coach Mike Norvell, who is being mentioned as a candidate to replace former Arkansas coach Bret Bielema? He excelled as an offensive coordinator before he signed on with the Tigers, who are 10-1 in his second season.

Maybe, Norvell would have a better shot at the Tennessee job if he had been fired recently.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...les-only-fired-coaches-options-now/910381001/

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mike Leach is now the man of the hour at Tennessee

If Jimbo decides to leave before their game on Saturday, I know an assistant there that has head coaching experience, even if it's just for one game.

Good grief ... surprised they aren’t going after Tuberville at this point.

If Jimbo decides to leave before their game on Saturday, I know an assistant there that has head coaching experience, even if it's just for one game.

Should I send this to UT?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5S_H0tQgEbY" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Neuheisel said this morning the Tee Martin was the best fit and that Philip Fulmer should be instrumental in helping Tee put a staff together and get things moving in the right direction. Tennessee obviously didn't get the message.

Not really. There have been plenty of coaches hired for better jobs than Tennessee who had never been head coaches.

I have trouble agreeing that Tee Martin has been treated poorly. A relatively young guy with zero HC experience not being interviewed for a SEC HC job is fairly normal. I haven't seen any reports that indicate they've interviewed anyone else with those same credentials or lack thereof.

And Tennessee is reported to now have fired the AD, Currie

And Tennessee is reported to now have fired the AD, Currie

Disgusting. What an awful place. Nebraska on steroids. A huge football fanbase that cares about nothing but winning, yet they really don't win all that much. Like one national title under Fullmer 20 years ago. And they all think they should be Alabama. And terrible admin and even state government that interfere with the operations of the team??

And right in the middle of the redneck south. Gross

Hope no serious AD candidates give them a whiff either.

Top Bottom