2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tennessee has entered Dumpster Fire status.

Backing out of a reported $20M deal because fans disapproved. That ought to attract a lot of coaches. Kiffin may be only option.

Summary so far:

UCLA - Kelly
TX A&M - Jimbo
Florida - Dan Mullen
Tennessee - Schiano, wait no.... dumpster fire status

Arkansas - Gus?
Nebraska - Likely Frost
Arizona St - Sumlin?

2nd wave schools
Mississippi State -
Florida St -

Gus Malzahn is going to leave Auburn?? After he wins a national title this year and was runner up in 2013 (with players he helped recruit there, as OC from 2009-2011)?

Sorry but that seems crazy. Not saying it won't happen.

Frost is an idiot if he goes to Lincoln. May he fail just like everyone else there fails now.

Tennessee ... what a pathetic joke. Friggin' senators trying to micromanage a college football team? Hope that school and team suffer 10 more years of mediocre football.

Summary so far:

UCLA - Kelly
TX A&M - Jimbo
Florida - Dan Mullen

Arkansas - Gus?
Nebraska - Likely Frost
Arizona St - Sumlin?

2nd wave schools
Mississippi State -
Florida St -

After Gus beat Bama yesterday he's not leaving Auburn.

I think UT has to go with Tee Martin or Norvall. I think that job has lost any appeal after today's debacle.

Arizona St. I could see Sumlin or Bielema.

If FSU opens up, I assume Frost would have to be under consideration for it. I just don't see Jimbo leaving. Jimbo has been involved in rumors the past 2 years and hasn't left. Is A&M really a better job than FSU?

I find the Schiano news hard to believe. He's worried about fans not liking him?

Summary so far:

UCLA - Kelly
TX A&M - Jimbo
Florida - Dan Mullen

Arkansas - Gus?
Nebraska - Likely Frost
Arizona St - Sumlin?

2nd wave schools
Mississippi State -
Florida St -

I've heard Brent Venables is the frontrunner at Arkansas.

per ESPN:

Ole Miss officials removed the interim tag from football coach Matt Luke, who guided the Rebels to a 6-6 record this past season, after taking over the job when former coach Hugh Freeze abruptly resigned in July.

The university announced the promotion Sunday night. Rebels athletics director Ross Bjork couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

The Rebels upset No. 14 Mississippi State 31-28 in the Egg Bowl on Thursday night. Ole Miss self-imposed a postseason ban for this season in February, after receiving a revised NCAA notice of allegations.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ebels-remove-interim-tag-head-coach-matt-luke

Go Gophers!!

No, Tennessee backed out. They hired him and fired him in the same day due to a huge backlash from the fans.
The backlash was due to him being an assistant while Sandusky was abusing boy's. Some guys should no longer be head coaches, Schiano is one if them.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

It would confirm the boilers made the better hire?
Or worse hire?

Depends on how much you value their bowl game this year.

And depends on what happens with Fleck over time.

No, Tennessee backed out. They hired him and fired him in the same day due to a huge backlash from the fans.

Is this about not getting Gruden or purely about being associated with Paterno, or the second hand account of allegedly telling another coach he saw Sandusky doing something in the shower, or a combination. I suppose any allegation associated with Sandusky or Paterno even if far from reliable will be radioactive. I don’t recall a backlash from OSU but obviously not as public a figure there.

Is this about not getting Gruden or purely about being associated with Paterno, or the second hand account of allegedly telling another coach he saw Sandusky doing something in the shower, or a combination. I suppose any allegation associated with Sandusky or Paterno even if far from reliable will be radioactive. I don’t recall a backlash from OSU but obviously not as public a figure there.

They seem to be playing the Penn State card, but I get the sense that most of it has to do with being disappointed that they didn't get a big name or at least an up-and-comer to get excited about.

I get that Schiano's name was brought up in McQueary's Penn State deposition, and obviously if he did know anything about what was going on there he is the scum of the earth. I didn't even know he had any ties to that until Sunday. It was like second-hand hearsay that was refuted by the person he supposedly told. From what I know about Vols fans I don't think they would care one iota about it if his name was Chip Kelly or Scott Frost.

per ESPN:

Ole Miss officials removed the interim tag from football coach Matt Luke, who guided the Rebels to a 6-6 record this past season, after taking over the job when former coach Hugh Freeze abruptly resigned in July.

The university announced the promotion Sunday night. Rebels athletics director Ross Bjork couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

The Rebels upset No. 14 Mississippi State 31-28 in the Egg Bowl on Thursday night. Ole Miss self-imposed a postseason ban for this season in February, after receiving a revised NCAA notice of allegations.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ebels-remove-interim-tag-head-coach-matt-luke

Go Gophers!!

Not a sexy hire at all, but might be a smart move with all the other big sharks looking for HCs and a potential NCAA punishment looming. Not a very desirable job right now compared to basically every other Power 5 opening. Might as well give the guy shot for a couple years while they weather the sanctions. I'm sure it helps that he just won the Egg Bowl too.

If you're Mississippi, it's probably not the best option to try and compete for a better name this year.
Maybe you have a diamond in the rough.

On a separate note, with the Jimbo to TAM rumors, Fl St fans and Texas fans worried about whether Tim Brewster will go to College Station with Jimbo or not.
Kind of interesting.

They seem to be playing the Penn State card, but I get the sense that most of it has to do with being disappointed that they didn't get a big name or at least an up-and-comer to get excited about.

I get that Schiano's name was brought up in McQueary's Penn State deposition, and obviously if he did know anything about what was going on there he is the scum of the earth. I didn't even know he had any ties to that until Sunday. It was like second-hand hearsay that was refuted by the person he supposedly told. From what I know about Vols fans I don't think they would care one iota about it if his name was Chip Kelly or Scott Frost.

Yeah, have they banned Peyton Manning from campus after the accusation vs him? :rolleyes:

Probably a combination of things with Schiano. The mob mentality of guilty until proven innocent continues on. Agree if Schiano kept quiet he has no character and should never be allowed near a school, but a 10+ old second hand account is questionable at best. Still, that’s all it takes these days.

If you're Mississippi, it's probably not the best option to try and compete for a better name this year.
Maybe you have a diamond in the rough.

On a separate note, with the Jimbo to TAM rumors, Fl St fans and Texas fans worried about whether Tim Brewster will go to College Station with Jimbo or not.
Kind of interesting.

Really curious to see what happens with Jimbo. His name keeps coming up for these big jobs, like LSU last year. I really wonder if he is frustrated with something at Florida State. Or maybe he just wants a new challenge. Is he tired of Bobby Bowden hanging over his shoulder? Still, he's the 4th highest paid coach in college football at $5.5M per year on a great contract (gets paid the entire remainder of the contract if he's fired) that runs through 2024 and includes an automatic extension each time he gets 9 or more wins in a season. He's in one of the most talent-rich states when it comes to football and it's not like FSU is Harvard so I'm sure he's able to bring in whoever he wants. It's just odd to me that he would want to leave.

And it is also crazy to me that Texas A&M would be willing to fork over the kind of money necessary to get him. They owe Sumlin over $10M for his buyout, and buying Fisher out of his FSU deal would be $10-15M on top of that. So they'd be forking over $20M+ before they even start paying Jimbo's salary. I know they love their football in Texas, but man that's a lot of money.

Really curious to see what happens with Jimbo. His name keeps coming up for these big jobs, like LSU last year. I really wonder if he is frustrated with something at Florida State. Or maybe he just wants a new challenge. Is he tired of Bobby Bowden hanging over his shoulder? Still, he's the 4th highest paid coach in college football at $5.5M per year on a great contract (gets paid the entire remainder of the contract if he's fired) that runs through 2024 and includes an automatic extension each time he gets 9 or more wins in a season. He's in one of the most talent-rich states when it comes to football and it's not like FSU is Harvard so I'm sure he's able to bring in whoever he wants. It's just odd to me that he would want to leave.

And it is also crazy to me that Texas A&M would be willing to fork over the kind of money necessary to get him. They owe Sumlin over $10M for his buyout, and buying Fisher out of his FSU deal would be $10-15M on top of that. So they'd be forking over $20M+ before they even start paying Jimbo's salary. I know they love their football in Texas, but man that's a lot of money.

Plus, the $10 million owed to Sumlin is due in something like 60 days according to an article I read yesterday. Wow.

Top Bottom