2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

If I were Jon Gruden I wouldn't take the Tennessee job for double what Saban makes, given the rest of his options...not the least of which is making $5M per to talk about football on TV a few Mondays a year and otherwise hang out in Tampa and be a football geek who comes and goes as he pleases. Trade that for sweet talking entitled 16 year olds in random living rooms? No thanks. Gruden's said as much himself.

Why does Tennessee obsess over him so much, anyway? He's a pro coach who was a grad assistant once there for a year back in the 80s. He hasn't been on a college staff since being the WR coach at Pitt in 1991. He runs complex professional schemes and demands a ton from his QB. Even a dump truck full of money doesn't change that he's a risky hire for a college program. Just ask fans at Nebraska about Bill Callahan.

Who even knows if Gruden wants to coach again. It seems he is doing OK with his color on MNF and his QB Camp show.

As a lot of coaches have said: "I have never lost a game in the broadcast booth."

Gruden to Tennessee is like us being obsessed with Mike Shanahan coming back here because he was the OC for a season in 1979 before becoming a pro coach for 30 years.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Please Tennessee, hire Bo Pelini, I'm sure he'll get along just grand with your fan base.

How does that go over for Purdue if Brohm was taking the job and now isn't.

Oh, you're checking out other gals?
That's cool I guess as long as you come home to me.

Total inside job by Ray Anderson. He hired his buddy. He was manipulative as Denny's agents, so it is not exactly a surprise. If I was an ASU fan, I would not be excited about the future.

Yea, that one was odd from the get go. In the press conference where he announced Graham had been fired the AD said that he wanted the offensive and defensive coordinators to stay at ASU in those positions. So whoever got the job was going to have to deal with that. Most current coaches or even recently fired coaches would not have agreed to keeping both. Would have wanted to bring in their own guys.

I'd still take that over the Tennessee situation where they are literally down to their 11th or 12th choice at this point, plus the embarrassment of signing Schiano to the MOU and then backing out the same day.

The whiny Vols fans will be silenced with threat of executions and "Generations Punishment". A dangerous comic strip villain in real life. It would have been funny if the nuclear threat wasn't real.

Yea, that one was odd from the get go. In the press conference where he announced Graham had been fired the AD said that he wanted the offensive and defensive coordinators to stay at ASU in those positions. So whoever got the job was going to have to deal with that. Most current coaches or even recently fired coaches would not have agreed to keeping both. Would have wanted to bring in their own guys.

I'd still take that over the Tennessee situation where they are literally down to their 11th or 12th choice at this point, plus the embarrassment of signing Schiano to the MOU and then backing out the same day.

AD's make up whatever excuse they need in order to fire the current football head coach and hire a new guy, either someone they know and/or someone they want. Happens literally every year, at football schools.

Tennessee is a sewer. What "name" coach would want anything to do with a fanbase and state government who can meddle around/nix the dealings of the college football program?? No way

What's the connection to Jimbo Fisher, for Texas A&M?

Jimbo played QB at Samford (now a FCS team, in Alabama), started coaching there, then coached QBs at Auburn for several years, bounced around as an OC/QB for a few years, then landed at Florida State as the OC/QB for two years before becoming the HC for the last eight years.

Why would he leave for a completely different part of the country, which he has no connection to??

AD's make up whatever excuse they need in order to fire the current football head coach and hire a new guy, either someone they know and/or someone they want. Happens literally every year, at football schools.

Tennessee is a sewer. What "name" coach would want anything to do with a fanbase and state government who can meddle around/nix the dealings of the college football program?? No way

Of course ADs do that. It just happened here last year. But the qualifier that the new head coach has to keep both the OC and DC is not common for a multitude of reasons.

The only thing Tennessee has going for it at this point is that everyone knows they are going to have to overpay. Even the agent for whoever they hire is going to be able to buy a small country.

Jimbo played QB at Samford (now a FCS team, in Alabama), started coaching there, then coached QBs at Auburn for several years, bounced around as an OC/QB for a few years, then landed at Florida State as the OC/QB for two years before becoming the HC for the last eight years.

Why would he leave for a completely different part of the country, which he has no connection to??

Jimbo and the current Texas A&M AD worked together at LSU.

FSU is asking Jimbo to make a decision as to not leave them in limbo. They are playing a re-scheduled game this weekend hoping to become bowl eligible.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...r-urged-make-decision-florida-state-seminoles

He's the lowest paid of any active HC who has won a national title. He wants more money. They want a national championship and don't care what it costs.

You pretty much outlined why he would leave - he has no loyalty to any locale, Florida included. He's lived in West Virginia, Alabama, Ohio, Louisiana, and Florida...might as well give Texas a try if they'll give him the most money.

Main thing that is odd about him wanting to leave is his contract. $5.5M a year through 2024 with automatic extensions for 9+ wins, and FSU has to pay him the full contract if they fire him. He has about as much job security as any coach in the country ($40Mish buyout) as long as he isn't fired for cause. But A&M has better facilities. If they give him a major raise and similar contract terms I guess I can see it. Throw in his bad relationships with the FSU AD and major boosters, and maybe he just wants out. I was surprised initially, but the more I look at it I could see it. Fisher has a lot of leverage so if A&M wants him they will probably have to match the favorable contract terms.

NCState coach gets his raise and stays at N.C. State. How does Tennessee AD have a job? There is no hire changing the fall out.

NCState coach gets his raise and stays at N.C. State. How does Tennessee AD have a job? There is no hire changing the fall out.

Wow.

They can't even steal the NC State coach.

Vols fans will probably melt down.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm glad we hired our coach when we did and I can't believe we got Fleck.

That means after running Schiano out of town, (maybe literally?), Tennessee has been turned down by Gruden, Grundy, Brohm and now Doeren. Maybe others.

Gotta give Kaler and Coyle credit for getting the guy they wanted all along.

Wonder who they would have hired if P.J. was successful in getting that Oregon job?

That means after running Schiano out of town, (maybe literally?), Tennessee has been turned down by Gruden, Grundy, Brohm and now Doeren. Maybe others.

I'm still hoping they pry Pelini away from Youngstown State. Love to see him back in the SEC.

Jimbo and the current Texas A&M AD worked together at LSU.

FSU is asking Jimbo to make a decision as to not leave them in limbo. They are playing a re-scheduled game this weekend hoping to become bowl eligible.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...r-urged-make-decision-florida-state-seminoles

He's the lowest paid of any active HC who has won a national title. He wants more money. They want a national championship and don't care what it costs.

You pretty much outlined why he would leave - he has no loyalty to any locale, Florida included. He's lived in West Virginia, Alabama, Ohio, Louisiana, and Florida...might as well give Texas a try if they'll give him the most money.

Main thing that is odd about him wanting to leave is his contract. $5.5M a year through 2024 with automatic extensions for 9+ wins, and FSU has to pay him the full contract if they fire him. He has about as much job security as any coach in the country ($40Mish buyout) as long as he isn't fired for cause. But A&M has better facilities. If they give him a major raise and similar contract terms I guess I can see it. Throw in his bad relationships with the FSU AD and major boosters, and maybe he just wants out. I was surprised initially, but the more I look at it I could see it. Fisher has a lot of leverage so if A&M wants him they will probably have to match the favorable contract terms.

Thanks guys, appreciate the perspective. So TA&M is going to pay the $40M buyout?? Wow. But, will say that TA&M is the #2 revenue collecting athletic dept in the nation, behind only, yep you guessed it, Texas. Can pretty much afford whatever they want.

HAHAHAHA! That is awesome. Every dumb hick Tennessee fan who protested Schiano's hiring deserves this!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm glad we hired our coach when we did and I can't believe we got Fleck.

Not wrong at all ... but the thing is though, Tenn has being going after other big name coaches or other Power 5 coaches. We went "down" to the MAC for our coach. I suspect that Tennessee will have to "stoop" to that level now, and hire a coach from the American conference.

I spoke too fast, now Tennessee is targeting Sumlin.

Hope he tells them "I need a year off, to collect my thoughts and figure out what I want to do next" !!

The $40M number is what FSU would owe Jimbo if they fired him. The buyout Jimbo owes FSU to get out of his contract (which A&M would likely be on the hook for) is more like $5M-$10M -- it's a weird buyout and it's tough to nail down exactly what it would be, because it depends on how many of his assistants FSU retains if he leaves.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/flor...6390554/jimbo-fisher-buyout-florida-state-fsu

Top Bottom