2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

I know it’s head coach thread, but how many assistants will be hired and fired as soon as the kids sign on the dotted line?

No idea if anything will happen but Harbaugh is mentioned as a candidate for every NFL opening. He has connections for most all jobs. Luck at Indianapolis is certainly one.

Supposedly, Gruden is returning to the Raiders but if he doesn't, Harbaugh is next with the Bay area connection.... and on and on.

No idea if anything will happen but Harbaugh is mentioned as a candidate for every NFL opening. He has connections for most all jobs. Luck at Indianapolis is certainly one.

Supposedly, Gruden is returning to the Raiders but if he doesn't, Harbaugh is next with the Bay area connection.... and on and on.

Rumors to Chicago Bears again also with his connections there but who knows.

Could definitely see him Harbaugh back to the NFL.

I think he thought he could come into a uber-program like Michigan, and do all these innovative things that no one had done before (at least in the Big Ten), and swoop in and win the national championship. The NCAA (driven by the SEC) slammed its foot down, and wouldn't let him do much of what he wanted to do. And the success hasn't come, with Ohio St and Michigan St getting the better of him for the most part, plus Penn St's reemergence doesn't help either.

Who would Michigan go after? Probably have to be a big name. Don't think they'd take a risk on a successful lower level coach, after Brady Hoke.

Things like moving the spring practices off campus as well other recruiting ploys. Not sure if was Mich. but I know Alabama did it and that is bring in mid-year high school graduates and have them become immediate members of the scout team. Alabama did it because they didn't have a scout team QB that could do what was necessary in practice. Which means practicing before classes even start. Not sure if basketball players can go on the summer European trips or not. I guess that would be doing the same thing. Playing before classes.

Judging a coach as to success has always baffled me. Take Jon Gruden for example. Yes he won a Super Bowl, but it was with Tony Dungey's players. His over all records for Oakland and Tampa isn't very good in my opinion. Yet he is well sought out and rumored for many coaching jobs. Seems like people want a coach for the name and not what he has done.

Take Jon Gruden for example. Yes he won a Super Bowl, but it was with Tony Dungey's players.

THIS type of saying baffles me.

You coach the players you have. When you're the head coach, the players ARE your players. How you choose to utilize them, is entirely your choice.

Judging a coach as to success has always baffled me. Take Jon Gruden for example. Yes he won a Super Bowl, but it was with Tony Dungey's players. His over all records for Oakland and Tampa isn't very good in my opinion. Yet he is well sought out and rumored for many coaching jobs. Seems like people want a coach for the name and not what he has done.

“He’s a finisher not a builder”. I’ve read/heard that many times.

Today’s nfl rosters are built by general managers. Very few coaches have that football operations title anymore. Gruden might be one of those that days he deserves the title and gets it though.

The satellite camps thing, off the top of my head. SEC schools screamed. The NCAA pushed over small children to run over and scold the big bad Big Ten.

To the best of my knowledge none of the camps have been prohibited- even PJ participated in satellite camps. What has he not been able to do that he desired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today’s nfl rosters are built by general managers. Very few coaches have that football operations title anymore. Gruden might be one of those that days he deserves the title and gets it though.

Who says that? How can one say that about a guy who was a head coach for only two teams- one of which traded him to the other after 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has Frost's staff been announced, or is there any speculation? Is he keeping it together, or hiring new coordinators and assistants?

Has Frost's staff been announced, or is there any speculation? Is he keeping it together, or hiring new coordinators and assistants?

He brought everybody, or nearly everybody, with him from UCF.

Meatchicken doing their best to screw the undefeated B10 record.

He has alot of finishing up to do. He keeps getting fired.

I heard Ben Lieber (who played for Snyder) say in the past couple weeks that he thought Snyder would say he's coming back, then bail so late that he could basically hand pick his successor.

Wants his son to be the successor. Lieber said the son has been pretty much doing the day-to-day HC stuff for the past 10 years. Interesting that he also mentioned Snyder did not have relationships with players...was intimidating, distant and more or less unapproachable. Is a delegating HC, the assistants have the player relationships and run their parts of the team.

Wants his son to be the successor. Lieber said the son has been pretty much doing the day-to-day HC stuff for the past 10 years. Interesting that he also mentioned Snyder did not have relationships with players...was intimidating, distant and more or less unapproachable. Is a delegating HC, the assistants have the player relationships and run their parts of the team.

Can someone explain how Snyder is successful?

Great X and O's
Great recruiter?
Or just a JUCO expert?

Beat me to it.

I think I read somewhere that Bill Snyder wants his son to take over but K-State is not completely sold on his son as the next HC.

Anyone else hear that or did my brain make it up? Neither would surprise me.

Has K-State had that much success? Had to have been tough in the Big 8 with Nebraska and Oklahoma, as well as Colorado and Missouri to lesser extents.

I know Kansas has some good JUCO programs, but have no idea what Synder’s relationship with them was like.

Has K-State had that much success? Had to have been tough in the Big 8 with Nebraska and Oklahoma, as well as Colorado and Missouri to lesser extents.

I know Kansas has some good JUCO programs, but have no idea what Synder’s relationship with them was like.

I think it's more how bad Ron Prince (?) was after he retired the first time. And during that time Kansas had it's best run in years. Suddenly getting 7 or 8 wins and making a Bowl seemed pretty good again.

Beat me to it.

I think I read somewhere that Bill Snyder wants his son to take over but K-State is not completely sold on his son as the next HC.

Anyone else hear that or did my brain make it up? Neither would surprise me.

You are correct. Appears he's doing everything he can to make them hire his kid next.

"McMurphy reported K-State president Richard Myers, other school officials and boosters reached a verbal agreement in December 2016 with Leavitt — a former Snyder assistant and head coach at South Florida and at the time defensive coordinator at Colorado — to come to K-State as head coach-in-waiting for the current season and take over in 2018."

"According to the McMurphy report, Snyder nixed the plan, maintaining his stance that his son Sean, the Wildcats’ associate head coach and special teams coordinator, become the next head coach."

http://cjonline.com/sports/catzone/...-declined-plan-hire-jim-leavitt-coach-waiting

2x Big XII Champions
4x Big XII Division Champions
Took a .370 winning percentage (90+ years) to .650 program.

Top Bottom