2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

Tennessee is so incredibly desperate at this point. Idk if I've seen anything like this. In a week they may be forced to hire Clayes.

It kind of feels like when we were hiring Kill or Pitino. Both took longer to get our coach, but eventually we got decent coaches.

How about Arizona State? What a joke if they end up hiring Herm Edwards. It would be Ray Anderson hiring his former client and friend, period. Nothing more than that. Anderson talks about how "more is expected" at Arizona State. Ha. Edwards is a great radio guest and entertaining analyst. However he is 63, has not coached since 2008 and has a 54-74 career coaching record in the NFL. The offenses of Chip Kelly and RichRod would run circles around him.

How about Arizona State? What a joke if they end up hiring Herm Edwards. It would be Ray Anderson hiring his former client and friend, period. Nothing more than that. Anderson talks about how "more is expected" at Arizona State. Ha. Edwards is a great radio guest and entertaining analyst. However he is 63, has not coached since 2008 and has a 54-74 career coaching record in the NFL. The offenses of Chip Kelly and RichRod would run circles around him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis

I don't think schematics would be an issue at all for Herm. The man knows football and I doubt he'll have too much trouble scheming to defend a spread zone read type offense. What I do doubt is that he'd have the desire or energy to recruit at a high level as well as all the fundraising, interviews, overseeing and babysitting that come with the gig. Herm would be great at X's and O's and great at teaching and molding young men. Just don't think he'd be able to get the talent in their needed.

I don't think schematics would be an issue at all for Herm. The man knows football and I doubt he'll have too much trouble scheming to defend a spread zone read type offense. What I do doubt is that he'd have the desire or energy to recruit at a high level as well as all the fundraising, interviews, overseeing and babysitting that come with the gig. Herm would be great at X's and O's and great at teaching and molding young men. Just don't think he'd be able to get the talent in their needed.

Herm is a Cover2 devotee. To say that scheme has run its course is being kind.

I feel that Edwards to AZ State would be very similar to Lovie at Illinois and Mora at UCLA. Old NFL guys without the energy that's needed to recruit at the college level.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Herm is a Cover2 devotee. To say that scheme has run its course is being kind.

That’s a lazy take. Almost every team in the country runs some cover two.
Just because Leslie Frazier’s Tampa 2 got torched doesn’t mean teams don’t successfully use this defense a lot.

Just because Leslie Frazier’s Tampa 2 got torched doesn’t mean teams don’t successfully use this defense a lot.

Lazy? Hardly. Certainly teams play some (a little) Cover2. With the proliferation of spread based offenses throughout the country, teams are no longer playing exclusively base Cover2 schemes.

The point of my original post really was that Ray Anderson fired a coach and is apparently seriously considering hiring his former client and friend to replace him. That friend has was not successful as an NFL head coach, has never been a college head coach and has been away from coaching since 2008. Anything is possible...but color me skeptical in terms of that working for ASU.

I don't think Kill would want to go to a highly stressful environment that is UT. Rebecca will not approve.

Tracy Claeys sooner or later will land someplace as a DC.

Understatement of the year!

PSU OC rumored gone....calling Mr. Limegrover? For our benefit, we can only hope.

Media reports are indicating Jimbo will leave after his game this week for A&M.

Jimbo's wife had a couple affairs. One with an ex-Florida football player. Also one with a tennis coach around Florida St. He and his now ex-wife are divorced.
He's probably paying her millions so he needs millions more to make up the difference. Plus, getting the hell out of an environment where you lost your wife probably isn't the worst idea.

Jimbo actually did pretty well in the divorce settlement. She doesn't get any of his future earnings. http://www.gossipextra.com/2016/01/05/jimbo-fisher-divorce-settlement-5536-60919

Reports that Tennessee is focusing in on Brohm. Purdue could get Lou Holtz'd after one season.

Brohm would be a home run hire for TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope that doesn't happen. Hope he stays at Purdue. He has already turned them around and upped their game. Will be great competition for the Gophs and the rest of the West division.

He's from Louisville and played for U of Louisville. Coached there, then got his first gig at Western Kentucky, and did a great job. Got the call up to Purdue. Hope he sees Kentucky as the furthest south he's willing to go, and hope he recognizes the disgusting stench in Tennessee from interference by the fanbase and even senators. Terrible.

I wonder why Tennessee is reportedly pursuing Brohm and not PJ? (SARCASM) Brohm's buyout appears to be 5.9 million (if after 12/31: 5.75million). PJ's buyout, with new contract is only 5 million.

Hmm...why is Brohm being pursued? He's more expensive.

Wait...I know, PJ isn't interested.
links: http://www.startribune.com/paying-p-j-fleck-a-look-at-the-salaries-buyouts-in-his-six-gophers-seasons/459342203/

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2017/06/15/bonuses-buyout-details-revealed-jeff-brohms-purdue-contract/400475001/

disclaimer: UT is nuts, but...

I wonder why Tennessee is reportedly pursuing Brohm and not PJ? Brohm's buyout appears to be 5.9 million (if after 12/31: 5.75million). PJ's buyout, with new contract is only 5 million.

links: http://www.startribune.com/paying-p-j-fleck-a-look-at-the-salaries-buyouts-in-his-six-gophers-seasons/459342203/

http://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2017/06/15/bonuses-buyout-details-revealed-jeff-brohms-purdue-contract/400475001/

Tennessee has no interest in changing a culture. Did you see the protests? They love their culture. Sarcasm alert!

Tennessee has no interest in changing a culture. Did you see the protests? They love their culture. Sarcasm alert!

Oh, they want him but they are hung up on some fine print. They are in talks about changing RTB to STB (strum the banjo).

I wonder why Tennessee is reportedly pursuing Brohm and not PJ? Brohm's buyout appears to be 5.9 million (if after 12/31: 5.75million). PJ's buyout, with new contract is only 5 million.

I don't think buyout is much of a factor these days unless the number is astronomical. Especially for a program that brings in $$ like Tennessee. Chris Petersen's buyout is only $1.5M at Washington. I haven't heard that TN is pursuing him, but most anyone who follows college football would say Petersen > Brohm.

I hope that doesn't happen. Hope he stays at Purdue. He has already turned them around and upped their game. Will be great competition for the Gophs and the rest of the West division.

He's from Louisville and played for U of Louisville. Coached there, then got his first gig at Western Kentucky, and did a great job. Got the call up to Purdue. Hope he sees Kentucky as the furthest south he's willing to go, and hope he recognizes the disgusting stench in Tennessee from interference by the fanbase and even senators. Terrible.

I think he did it too fast to stay longer.
If they go 4-8, next year Purdue fans will be upset.

You need to leave your job at the perceived peak of performance.
Purdue will inevitably have a dip coming up, and since he didn't illustrate a chart like PJ did, you know people will be on him when they lose a couple in a row.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom