2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

Who says that? How can one say that about a guy who was a head coach for only two teams- one of which traded him to the other after 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those words exactly taken from a blog I read. Implied by many that he took others teams to the next level.

What your saying I think supports that opinion.

Arizona Wildcats fire football coach Rich Rodriguez - AZ Central

The University of Arizona fired football coach Rich Rodriguez on Tuesday.

The school was weighing whether to fire football coach Rich Rodriguez, two people with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday. Those people spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

The firing likely will be attributed to the Wildcats’ poor finish to the season, losing four of their last five games, and be done without cause, giving Rodriguez his full $6.3 million buyout.

Beyond the on-field performance, however, the school also has been dealing with a troubling allegation behind the scenes that led them last fall to hire an outside law firm to investigate Rodriguez for potential workplace misconduct, according to the people with knowledge of the probe. Though no misconduct was determined by the probe, which Rodriguez cooperated with fully, a former administrative assistant subsequently has threatened to file a lawsuit against him.

If that lawsuit is filed this week as Arizona officials expect, it could bring significant negative publicity, particularly in the current national environment. A call to the woman's attorney was not returned Tuesday.

Rodriguez’s contract runs through May 31, 2020.

Using Jan. 1, 2018, as the termination date, under the terms of the agreement, being fired for cause would cost Rodriguez at least $10.2 million. That includes more than $3 million that would have been owed, or vested, to Rodriguez had he been Arizona’s head football coach on March 15.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...fire-football-coach-rich-rodriguez/998475001/

Why was he fired? This explains it.

Rich Rodriguez was fired as Arizona's head football coach on Tuesday after a $7.5 million notice of claim was filed with the state’s attorney general’s office alleging that Rodriguez ran a hostile workplace and sexually harassed a former employee.

The UA announced his termination in a press release around 8:30 p.m. University president Robert C. Robbins and athletic director Dave Heeke said they will "honor the separation terms" of Rodriguez's contract — his buyout is about $6 million.

"While this is a difficult decision, it is the right decision," they wrote. "And it is a decision that lives up to the core values of the University of Arizona."..

Rodriguez tweeted a statement late Tuesday in which he said he will "vigorously fight these fabricated and groundless claims" made by his former administrative assistant. The coach said he was fired by email.

"I am not a perfect man, but the claims by my former assistant are simply not true and her demands for a financial settlement are outrageous," he wrote.

A 'hideaway book' — and a coverup
The notice of claim was filed Thursday by a former employee and her attorney. A notice of claim is an advance notice of a lawsuit against a public body. Most notices of claim are first sent to the Arizona Board of Regents or the University of Arizona itself. Her $7.5 claim went directly to the attorney general's office.

Portions of the claim obtained by the Star on Tuesday paint a culture in which secrecy was valued above all else.

The notice of claim alleges, among other things, that Rodriguez and his closest aides followed a "hideaway book" that detailed such sayings as "Title IX doesn't exist in our office." Those who had the most interaction with Rodriguez — the former employee and two assistant coaches — referred to themselves as the "Triangle of Secrecy," according to the claim. The three were charged with lying to Rodriguez's wife to cover up an extramarital affair, according to the claim, and were ordered to protect the coach's reputation above all else.

The former employee said in the claim that she "had to walk on eggshells at work, because of (Rodriguez's) volatility and sheer power over the department." Rodriguez would call her at all hours of the night, she said in the claim, to change travel plans or deal with Rodriguez's personal emergencies. In the claim, the former employee said she became increasingly troubled by Rodriguez's actions over the past year. She suffered migraines as a result, the claim states.

The UA's Office of Institutional Equity began investigating Rodriguez in October, three months after the former employee left for an off-campus job...

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...cle_a5da70da-f02d-11e7-a7f8-17b0f5c5ce06.html

Herm Edwards at AZ State, and now this. Yikes!

Gary Andersen (former Wisconsin and Oregon St head coach) is back at Utah as an assistant.

He's from SLC, and played at Utah. Has mostly coached in Utah.

Wisconsin liked what they saw when they played Utah State (and almost lost), and hired him. He took a chance to make it work at a big program, but it was not a good fit. Tried again out west, but clearly his heart and family wanted back in Utah.

Not the head coach, but coaching related (cut and paste from reddit with some additions/clarifications):

Dan Enos and Greg Roman will be the newest additions to the Michigan coaching staff, replacing Tim Drevno (OC,OL) Pep Hamilton (Assistant head coach & passing game coordinator), and Greg Frey (run game coordinator), all of which rumored to have accepted jobs elsewhere. Bringing in Greg Roman, it appears that Harbaugh is planning on switching to the pistol offense that he ran with Colin Kaepernick in SF. He's got the QB's for it in Patterson, McCaffrey, and Milton, as well as athletic WR's in DPJ, Black, and Collins.

Sounds like a Brewster like change in philosophy :)

If Roman is going to be the QB coach and main offensive game planner & play caller, I wonder if Enos going to be the RB coach and run game coordinator? He was OC & QB coach for Bret Bielema at Arkansas, but I'm assuming that was a pro-style, running offense like what was/is run at Wisconsin.

Interesting that Enos is going to the "dark side" at Michigan, after being one of the better QB's in Michigan State's history and having coached there a bit too. Was also an unremarkable head coach at Central Michigan.

Gary Andersen (former Wisconsin and Oregon St head coach) is back at Utah as an assistant.

Wisconsin liked what they saw when they played Utah State (and almost lost), and hired him. He took a chance to make it work at a big program, but it was not a good fit. Tried again out west, but clearly his heart and family wanted back in Utah.

Dude made a terrible mistake leaving Wisc... at least he gets to go home and coach.

Has K-State had that much success? Had to have been tough in the Big 8 with Nebraska and Oklahoma, as well as Colorado and Missouri to lesser extents.

I know Kansas has some good JUCO programs, but have no idea what Synder’s relationship with them was like.

KSU was easily the worst program in the country when Snyder took over. In 1998 just ten years after Sports Illustrated published an article calling them Hapless U and the worst program in the country, Snyder had them 11-0 in the regular season and ranked #1 in the polls. They lost to TAMU in the big12 conf championship. In 2003 they knocked off an all time great OU team that was ranked #1 in the conf championship. He had a stretch where he won 11 games 6 times in seven year, becoming just the second program to accomplish such a feat. In 2012 they started 10-0 and were ranked #1 in the bcs polls before falling to Baylor. He's made a bowl in 19 of his last 22 years of coaching, the 3 missed bowls were in one stretch. Yeah, I'd say they've had quite a big of success. Not only that, but Snyder runs things the right way. Very clean program. Here's a blurb on how he handled probably the biggest controversy the team faced...

Player misconduct at 2004 Fiesta Bowl[edit]
In the early morning hours of New Year's Day, 2004, police were called to the Kansas State team hotel in Paradise Valley, Arizona, by a woman who accused quarterback Ell Roberson of sexually assaulting her.[18] Roberson and the rest of the Kansas State team were in town to play Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Police did not arrest Roberson, and later determined that no crime had been committed and no charges should be filed,[19] but an investigation by the Kansas State athletic department concluded that Roberson and several other players had violated unspecified team rules.[20] As a result, Snyder stripped Roberson of his scholarship, denied the players their Fiesta Bowl rings and required them to perform community service. Snyder also issued an open letter of apology to the people of Kansas and supporters of Kansas State's football program for the conduct of his players in the days leading up to the bowl game.

The rumor in Corvallis is that he was a raging drunk and knocked up a cheerleader. That would explain the unbelievable decision to pass on 12.5 million and the crazy tweets to the Dan Barreiro of Portland. So he should have been a perfect fit in Madison.

the Indianapolis Colts interviewed Baylor HC Matt Rhule for It's HC Vacancy earlier this week. Not joking.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/01/colts-interviewed-baylors-matt-rhule-for-head-coach

If Indianapolis did ultimately hire Rhule, he’d certainly be an outside-the-box candidate, as his only coaching experience at the NFL level came in 2012 when he served as the Giants’ offensive line coach. Rhule does have vast amounts of collegiate experience, as he’s been working in the NCAA since 1998. Rhule was head coach at Tempe for four seasons before taking over Baylor, where posted a disappointing 1-11 record in 2017.

From Charley Walters:

It looks like ex-Gophers football coach Jerry Kill is headed back to Southern Illinois to work in a liaison-development capacity, the same position he held at Kansas State before becoming offensive coordinator at Rutgers last season.

You would think Arizona could actually attract a decent coach. Not another failed retread.

If they had Niumatalolo lined up as rumored and ended up with Sumlin, talk about a swing and a miss.

I dunno about that. There certainly has to be question marks regarding that offense in a P5 conference, plus Khalil Tate had tweeted that he didn't come to Arizona to run the triple option.

I dunno about that. There certainly has to be question marks regarding that offense in a P5 conference, plus Khalil Tate had tweeted that he didn't come to Arizona to run the triple option.

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have run the triple option at Arizona.

Why do you say that?

He runs the triple option because you pretty much have to at a service academy. He's a sharp guy, he knows that it would be very difficult to recruit and very difficult to win at a Power 5 school running that offense.

He runs the triple option because you pretty much have to at a service academy. He's a sharp guy, he knows that it would be very difficult to recruit and very difficult to win at a Power 5 school running that offense.

Johnson has made it work at Ga Tech. I'm guessing he would have run it in a somewhat modified fashion. Would have been fun to see it.

Johnson has made it work at Ga Tech. I'm guessing he would have run it in a somewhat modified fashion. Would have been fun to see it.

True, Paul Johnson has had a lot of success including two Oragne bowls at GT, plus he preceded Ken N. at Navy and had success there before GT. I agree Ken would have ran a modified version, but I'm sure it would have been very run heavy. I don't have the hate for Sumlin that some seem to though. He never quite broke through in the SEC, but he seems to be a good recruiter and he does have a record of 86-43. He was better than his predecessors Sherman and Franchione at TAMU.

True, Paul Johnson has had a lot of success including two Oragne bowls at GT, plus he preceded Ken N. at Navy and had success there before GT. I agree Ken would have ran a modified version, but I'm sure it would have been very run heavy. I don't have the hate for Sumlin that some seem to though. He never quite broke through in the SEC, but he seems to be a good recruiter and he does have a record of 86-43. He was better than his predecessors Sherman and Franchione at TAMU.

I don't understand the Sumlin hate either. He's not Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, but 86-43 is impressive. He made a bowl in 9 out of 10 seasons as a HC. At 53 years old he's got plenty of tread left on the tires. That's a great hire for Arizona.

I don't understand the Sumlin hate either. He's not Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, but 86-43 is impressive. He made a bowl in 9 out of 10 seasons as a HC. At 53 years old he's got plenty of tread left on the tires. That's a great hire for Arizona.

I know with one poster it sure seems it's because I have stated that Sumlin would have been at the top of my list. You can probably guess the poster...

Top Bottom