2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

Who does Oregon go after? Current Boise coach perhaps?

Chad Morris of SMU seems to be the popular choice for Arkansas right now.

The domino effect on the hiring is interesting.

Longest chain in the end seems to be:

Texas A&M < Florida St < Oregon <

We'll see who Oregon hires, but it could cause another domino to fall if not two more.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Aaaah. 'Looks like the Sun Devil emblem himself... (pointy ears and chin). He has a trident on either side of him. What a coincidence.

Claeys mentioned anywhere lately? Perhaps one of these hires would look at him as a DC.

Steve Sarkisian is sober now.
He’d be an okay Oregon hire.

Who does Oregon go after? Current Boise coach perhaps?

Row the Duckboat has a ring to it. Hopefully Coyle’s extension carried a stiff buyout as The Ducks are going to be hard up for splashy candidates this year and may be sniffing around. Taggart was/is primarily a recruiter and faceman. They have a nice class they will be desperate to save.

It’s been a chaotic carousel this year, for sure.

Row the Duckboat has a ring to it. Hopefully Coyle’s extension carried a stiff buyout as The Ducks are going to be hard up for splashy candidates this year and may be sniffing around. Taggart was/is primarily a recruiter and faceman. They have a nice class they will be desperate to save.

It’s been a chaotic carousel this year, for sure.
If Oregon and he didn’t want each other last year why would they want each other this year when Oregon is a worse job due to so many transitions and Fleck is less appealing due to 5-7?

Honestly mike leach might be an interesting hire for them. Different kind of spread.
Kevin Sumlin
Lane Kiffin
Steve Sarkisian
Dana Holgerson
Memphis guy I forget the name

If Oregon and he didn’t want each other last year why would they want each other this year when Oregon is a worse job due to so many transitions and Fleck is less appealing due to 5-7?

Honestly mike leach might be an interesting hire for them. Different kind of spread.
Kevin Sumlin
Lane Kiffin
Steve Sarkisian
Dana Holgerson

I’m not making any prediction, just stirring the pot. Perhaps they favored Taggart because he has ties to that Florida talent.

Ducks fans are outraged they were Kiffin-ed. Can’t say I blame them.

Kevin Sumlin
Lane Kiffin
Steve Sarkisian
Dana Holgerson

Sark is an interesting option. One I haven't heard brought up before, but very intriguing. West coast guy who was at least moderately successful as a Pac12 HC. Still in his early 40s. The lawsuit he filed (and I believe has since been dismissed) against USC could be an issue. Still, he could be a great hire if he has his personal issues under control.

Memphis guy (Mike Norvell) just signed a extension with a hefty raise either today or yesterday so I think he's off the board.

Not sure if I see a fit with the other 3, but I have heard Sumlin's name mentioned multiple times in connection with the job.

After this experience with Taggart I think they will look for someone with west coast ties.

Oregon may try to nab Justin Wilcox from Cal. He is a Duck grad. Sumlin is the clubhouse leader.

All things considered a solid hire by TN. He's put together some great defenses, but has never been a HC at any level (even HS) so we'll see how it goes. He's going to need a really good OC because it doesn't have any experience on that side of the ball. Don't think Tee is going to come over from USC so I'll be curious who he gets. I hope Pruitt succeeds in his first year and then leaves in the middle of the night for the USC job. That's what that fan base deserves.

Riley back at Oregon State as assistant.

It took Philip Fullmer about a week with no hype, meeting with two defensive coordinators in New York. And what was close to a Minnesota search, he changed to finding who he wanted and landed him.

Fulmer swoops in and gets his guy.

I don't see anything wrong with that. One question then: why all the danged charade?? Why hire Currie in the first place? Why let him bumble around interviewing 10 different guys?? Why drag Tennessee's name through the mud?? If you wanted Fulmer as the AD and wanted to let him pick his football coach ..... OK fine, then why didn't you do that?

Since Fullmer was let go they have tried everything. The history of the program has been a disaster since they took a flyer on Lane Kiffin. The charade has been in full bloom since then. Currie showed he was not capable. And someone with some courage put Fullmer in charge. And presto.

There must be some dirty back-history between Fulmer and either admin or big boosters for Tennessee at the time .... because it's not even like he really deserved to be fired.

I do believe Fulmer can be the Barry Alvarez to Tennessee that they need to get back to the Payton Manning glory days.

Sorry if already posted.

UTEP Hired Kansas State OC as It's next HC

Dana Dimel (Was Co-Offensive coordinator at K-State)

The power struggle over Tennessee's football program (between coaches, boosters, administration) over the last three decades or so could be a whole series of 30 for 30s in and of itself. Fulmer is no saint. Nobody in all of it really is. I lived in Knoxville for a year. The bullet points:

- It's widely believed that Fulmer helped force out successful head coach Johnny Majors in the early 90s. Fulmer was an assistant for Majors, and had taken over as interim head coach while Majors underwent heart surgery. Majors doesn't mince words when talking about Fulmer to this day.
- John Currie was the #2 in the UT athletic administration when Fulmer was fired in 2008. As you might guess, Fulmer was not happy.
- Fulmer wanted to be AD at Tennessee after Dave Hart stepped down last year. The Haslam family (who own Pilot gas stations and pretty much all of Tennessee including the university) wanted to be in control of the football team and have ties to Currie. So Currie was hired as AD.
- Fulmer was obviously not happy about not being named AD, and even more so that the job went to a guy who was heavily involved in firing him. Much of the TN fan base has an affinity for Fulmer due to his success as head football coach, so Fulmer was named as a special consultant to the president. They basically gave him a no-show job to appease the small but vocal portion of the fan base that was livid Fulmer was not named AD.
- It has been speculated that Fulmer, still bitter about Currie being named AD, sabotaged the hiring process for a new football coach over the last few weeks. Once it got really bad, there was basically a coup between Fulmer and some influential boosters to take over for the Currie/Haslam contingent.

There are a bunch of articles about all of it. It's really pretty interesting. Basically they are nuts in Tennessee, and all of that is probably why no established coach wanted to have anything to do with that situation for the last ten years.

There must be some dirty back-history between Fulmer and either admin or big boosters for Tennessee at the time .... because it's not even like he really deserved to be fired.

I do believe Fulmer can be the Barry Alvarez to Tennessee that they need to get back to the Payton Manning glory days.
http://www.thefulmercup.com he deserved to be fired.

The power struggle over Tennessee's football program (between coaches, boosters, administration) over the last three decades or so could be a whole series of 30 for 30s in and of itself. Fulmer is no saint. Nobody in all of it really is. I lived in Knoxville for a year. The bullet points:

- It's widely believed that Fulmer helped force out successful head coach Johnny Majors in the early 90s. Fulmer was an assistant for Majors, and had taken over as interim head coach while Majors underwent heart surgery. Majors doesn't mince words when talking about Fulmer to this day.
- John Currie was the #2 in the UT athletic administration when Fulmer was fired in 2008. As you might guess, Fulmer was not happy.
- Fulmer wanted to be AD at Tennessee after Dave Hart stepped down last year. The Haslam family (who own Pilot gas stations and pretty much all of Tennessee including the university) wanted to be in control of the football team and have ties to Currie. So Currie was hired as AD.
- Fulmer was obviously not happy about not being named AD, and even more so that the job went to a guy who was heavily involved in firing him. Much of the TN fan base has an affinity for Fulmer due to his success as head football coach, so Fulmer was named as a special consultant to the president. They basically gave him a no-show job to appease the small but vocal portion of the fan base that was livid Fulmer was not named AD.
- It has been speculated that Fulmer, still bitter about Currie being named AD, sabotaged the hiring process for a new football coach over the last few weeks. Once it got really bad, there was basically a coup between Fulmer and some influential boosters to take over for the Currie/Haslam contingent.

There are a bunch of articles about all of it. It's really pretty interesting. Basically they are nuts in Tennessee, and all of that is probably why no established coach wanted to have anything to do with that situation for the last ten years.

How did Fulmer sabotage the hiring process?

Was he calling these other coaches saying "No, don't take the money. It's a mess over here!"

How did Mega Tongue not win the The Coach Mike Haywood “Leading by Example” Award?

The Fulmer Cup

This is the one every coach dreams of… granted, it’s a nightmare, but it’s still a dream: the Fulmer Cup goes to the D1 team whose cumulative team score pushes it to the top. A team must have two separate players arrested or cited to qualify for the team award.

The Ellis T. Jones III Award

Given to the individual player who contributes the most points to his team during the season, OR has the most incredible incident that resulted in Fulmer Cup points. Named after Ellis T. Jones III, the first winner of the individual award and the reason the team award requires at least two players from a team to qualify.

The Coach Mike Haywood “Leading by Example” Award

Given to the coach or administrator who earns the most points and/or gets fired in the most embarrassing fashion. This award does not have to be awarded annually and is completely up to the Committee. This award had an added quirk last season when Haywood returned to coaching at FCS Texas Southern and is thus eligible to win his own award.

The Paul Dee Memorial Award for High Profile Compliance

Awarded to the conference that, through the fortuitousness of group effort, has the highest point total. “High-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance.”

Furthermore, the Switzer Sweep is a very rare award going to the team that manages to win a National Championship, pull in a top recruiting class, and win The Fulmer Cup all in one calendar year.

How did Mega Tongue not win the The Coach Mike Haywood “Leading by Example” Award?

The Fulmer Cup

This is the one every coach dreams of… granted, it’s a nightmare, but it’s still a dream: the Fulmer Cup goes to the D1 team whose cumulative team score pushes it to the top. A team must have two separate players arrested or cited to qualify for the team award.

The Ellis T. Jones III Award

Given to the individual player who contributes the most points to his team during the season, OR has the most incredible incident that resulted in Fulmer Cup points. Named after Ellis T. Jones III, the first winner of the individual award and the reason the team award requires at least two players from a team to qualify.

The Coach Mike Haywood “Leading by Example” Award

Given to the coach or administrator who earns the most points and/or gets fired in the most embarrassing fashion. This award does not have to be awarded annually and is completely up to the Committee. This award had an added quirk last season when Haywood returned to coaching at FCS Texas Southern and is thus eligible to win his own award.

The Paul Dee Memorial Award for High Profile Compliance

Awarded to the conference that, through the fortuitousness of group effort, has the highest point total. “High-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance.”

Furthermore, the Switzer Sweep is a very rare award going to the team that manages to win a National Championship, pull in a top recruiting class, and win The Fulmer Cup all in one calendar year.

Current standings: http://www.thefulmercup.com/standings/2017-standings/

That is really interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom