2017 College Football Head Coach Fire and Hire Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Oregon State, first out of the gate:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Florida on the market for a new coach - this will be a big opening.

Florida, Jim McElwain part ways; DC Randy Shannon named interim coach

Florida and Jim McElwain have mutually parted ways after the football coach claimed that family members and players received death threats last week.

McElwain's claims "created a different storyline and caused a lot of distractions," athletic director Scott Stricklin said at Sunday's news conference.

Strickland added, "This is more than just wins and losses. I'll leave it at that."

Defensive coordinator Randy Shannon will serve as interim head coach. Shannon, who was Miami's head coach from 2007 to '10, was promoted to defensive coordinator in January.

"We want to thank Coach McElwain for his efforts in leading the Gator football program," Stricklin said in a statement released earlier Sunday. "We are confident Coach Shannon will provide the proper guidance to the players and rest of staff during this time, and we will begin a national search for the next head coach."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rida-gators-head-coach-jim-mcelwain-part-ways

Go Gophers!!

It should be an interesting couple weeks, I have to think Tennessee will be looking shortly. Nebraska too. I wouldn't be shocked to see changes at Texas A&M & Arkansas either. I wonder where Chip Kelly lands.

per ESPN:

Tennessee, winless this season in SEC play, has fired fifth-year coach Butch Jones with two games left in the regular season.

"Unfortunately, we are not where we need to be competitively," Tennessee athletic director John Currie said Sunday in a statement. "For that reason, I have asked Coach Jones to step down."

Defensive line coach Brady Hoke will serve as the Volunteers' interim head coach.

On Saturday, Tennessee was blown out 50-17 at Missouri, the Vols' fifth loss in their past six games. Two weeks ago, they lost at Kentucky, marking only their second loss to the Wildcats in the past 33 years.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21387123/tennessee-volunteers-fire-coach-butch-jones

Go Gophers!!

Ah... Brady Hoke.
He and Al Golden were both too good for the Gophers job when Kill was hired. Weren't they?

per ESPN:

Tennessee, winless this season in SEC play, has fired fifth-year coach Butch Jones with two games left in the regular season.

"Unfortunately, we are not where we need to be competitively," Tennessee athletic director John Currie said Sunday in a statement. "For that reason, I have asked Coach Jones to step down."

Defensive line coach Brady Hoke will serve as the Volunteers' interim head coach.

On Saturday, Tennessee was blown out 50-17 at Missouri, the Vols' fifth loss in their past six games. Two weeks ago, they lost at Kentucky, marking only their second loss to the Wildcats in the past 33 years.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21387123/tennessee-volunteers-fire-coach-butch-jones

Go Gophers!!

Let the Jon Gruden to Tennessee rumors commence.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/why_jon_gruden_to_tennessee_ru.html

Ah... Brady Hoke.
He and Al Golden were both too good for the Gophers job when Kill was hired. Weren't they?

No clue on Al Golden - but regardless of what Dave Mona and Co. have said, Brady Hoke was offered the Gophers Job - maybe not "officially", but was told the job was his if he wanted it. He didn't want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No clue on Al Golden - but regardless of what Dave Mona and Co. have said, Brady Hoke was offered the Gophers Job - maybe not "officially", but was told the job was his if he wanted it. He didn't want it.

Because he knew he would probably get the Michigan job. Who wouldn't make that choice?

Because he knew he would probably get the Michigan job. Who wouldn't make that choice?

I get why he didn't come here.
I'm also glad that he didn't (now - although I did want him at the time).

Ah... Brady Hoke.

I thought it was that we couldn't decide between Bob Stoops or Chris Petersen so compromised with Kill....

I thought it was that we couldn't decide between Bob Stoops or Chris Petersen so compromised with Kill....

From the tea leaves I read, Randy Edsall had more or less accepted the job and then backed out at the 12th hour to coach Maryland.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A jet owned by the State of Nebraska that has never left the state is headed to Orlando tonight. According to people in NE. Sounds like Lincoln is going to get a little Frosty this off-season.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N84NE

Seems odd the state would own a jet that has never left the state. Could be brand new I guess, but the state isn't exactly Alaska or Texas.

Nothing says a big-time program like a turboprop airplane.

I guess they got in touch with a local cropduster and asked to borrow the rig.

Nebraska should have never been in the Big Ten. What an embarresment.

Oregon State, first out of the gate:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

They could a lot worse than just rehiring Mike Riley. Coached them for 12 seasons (2003-2014), went to 8 bowl games (6-2 record), and six seasons were 5-3, 6-3, or 7-2 in the conference.

Gary Anderson went 2-10 in 2015, 4-8 in 2016, and was 1-5 in 2017 when he agreed to terms to step down.

Well, there are those buyouts.

I'm liking this firing and hiring trend at Nebraska. Maybe Frost will be the answer, maybe not. One more chance before permanent fan malaise sets in, and even Neb has to start hurting for $ at some point if ticket revenue declines. Will Frost stick with the spread or buy a time machine to 1997?

The mindset we need to have is that Nebraska getting better is better for us.

We shouldn't hope everyone else is bad enough for us to win.

We should hope everyone else in the West becomes very good so west dominates all other conferences.
Then we hope WI, NE, whoever else all finish with just one or two losses with one of the losses being against us.

Beating a Scott Frost 8-1 team 24-23 will be more satisfying in the long run than hanging 50 on Riley.

I don't care if Nebraska is any good. In fact, I'd be ecstatic if they, Wisconsin, and Iowa become doormats.

Wisconsin clearly sold their souls to Lucifer back in the 90s considering their run with the Pack and the Badgers. It's crazy. Has to be payment time at some point.

Iowa has reached a permanent plateau of averageness but could easily slip beneath the waves if/when Ferentz starts mailing it in or Jr. takes over.

Why not us?

The mindset we need to have is that Nebraska getting better is better for us.

We shouldn't hope everyone else is bad enough for us to win.

We should hope everyone else in the West becomes very good so west dominates all other conferences.
Then we hope WI, NE, whoever else all finish with just one or two losses with one of the losses being against us.

Beating a Scott Frost 8-1 team 24-23 will be more satisfying in the long run than hanging 50 on Riley.

Agree, a strong division is good for the Gophs. That I think Frost will do well at Nebraska.

I'm not a coaching guru, I thought Strong would be great at Texas. But I never understood the Riley or Lovie Smith hires.

A couple questions about the coaching changes.

1. Is Tennessee / Gruden 99% bull crap or 100% bull crap?

2. Is Jimbo going to A&M? Really? People leave FL St?

3. Is Tennessee going to look like idiots again?

4. How much is Scott Frost going to get paid.

5. (Not a question) - with early signing period, this is going to make for an interesting end to the season with some coaches maybe getting offers before the existing coach is gone. (Mike Riley).

6. What retread will end up in Kansas?

What type of plane does a big-time program usually have?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That will either be a spectacular success or a spectacular failure. No middling results like with the last coach, IMO. More likely the former.

That will either be a spectacular success or a spectacular failure. No middling results like with the last coach, IMO. More likely the former.

McElwain won his division in his first two years, and is the only coach in SEC history to do so. He didn't have middling results.

Top Bottom