Gary Anderson and Oregon State part ways

Agreed! Brings back memories of Nishioka, the former Twin, leaving money on the table.

He only left $3 million on the table and probably made close to that in Japan that season. Not close to the same.

Wow. I must be in the minority here. He had a contract. I think he is dumb for just walking away.

Doesn't he have kids to feed? :D

You can't feed a family on 7mil a year much less 12+ over the next 4.5. Just ask Latrell Sprewell.

He only left $3 million on the table and probably made close to that in Japan that season. Not close to the same.

I thought it was $6 million that he left on the table but if it was only $3 than you are right. I still thought it was very honorable for Nishi.

Anderson's moves in the past few years have just seemed strange. When he left Wisconsin it seemed a lot of the rumors were that they did not fit in at Madison and longed to be back west. With this sudden departure, I wouldn't be surprised if he has some wicked depression going on. Who cares about $15M when you've already made millions but are miserable and your kids are growing up fast?

Just speculation on my part.

Anderson's moves in the past few years have just seemed strange. When he left Wisconsin it seemed a lot of the rumors were that they did not fit in at Madison and longed to be back west. With this sudden departure, I wouldn't be surprised if he has some wicked depression going on. Who cares about $15M when you've already made millions but are miserable and your kids are growing up fast?

Just speculation on my part.

According to this article, he's lost 25 pounds since the season began and there is a lot of infighting among his coaches. No doubt about it, though, Gary's a strange guy. More to come, I'm sure.

http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2017/10/despite_issues_within_the_prog.html

I don't for one second believe that this is all there is to the story. And if for some reason it is, Andersen is a great guy who is also very stupid.

It's not surprising the ones criticizing Anderson's honorable gesture are the same ones that criticized the team's moral courage and applauded the administration's lack of it last winter.

Some crazy stuff at my other alma mater the last 2 1/2 years.
Nebraska AD is dumb enough to hire Mike Riley based on press coverage.
Rumors of a big name coach and Gary Andersen ditches the Badgers to go to the PAC. A miracle!
This stuff. Wow.

Something was clearly off this year. I expected them to be a decent team, much like Kills third year.
His press conferences were crazy this year, like he was totally disconnected with what was going on with the team, in particular the offense. The current AD came from Pitt, but had been the AD at Utah State that hired GA to be their HC. They are supposed to be very close friends. He almost broke down crying at the press conference talking about him.
Andersen had been HC at Southern Utah for one year and quit to go back as D.C. at Utah. Pattern?
Tons of rumors, but the most likely is that he realized a series of events and his decisions had dug a hole he was not getting out of. There were no off field incidents with players and he improved the APR.
It sounds like this has been coming for a while. USC coaches were aware last Saturday.
Until proven otherwise, it seems he declined the money so the the guy that gave him his first real shot is not hamstrung hiring his replacement. He is a different dude and looked progressively worse at every presser. Much like Jerry before he bailed.
The ultimate lesson is if you F up the QB position at a P5 school you are going to fail. He did.
He did give the middle finger to Barry A and Wisconsin, so have like the guy for that.

That is interesting. Watching the MN - OSU game, I thought that Gary Anderson looked too thin. Hope he's not ill.

That was my first thought as well. Lucia (Hockey) managed to struggle with cancer, but the coach at Missouri (Pinkel?) retired due to cancer. Our own Coach Kill left due to illness, and Urban Meyer also quit coaching for a while due to illness.

Meat grinder jobs. That's for sure.

It's not surprising the ones criticizing Anderson's honorable gesture are the same ones that criticized the team's moral courage and applauded the administration's lack of it last winter.

You love that topic. Nobody brings it up as often as you do.

Top Bottom