Gary Anderson and Oregon State part ways

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I don't have a news article for this one yet but word has it Oregon State fans have received an email stating that Gary Anderson and Oregon State have mutually decided to part ways.

He left Wisc to go to Oregon State to ... nowhere for now.

Wow...what a downward trajectory for a career.

The school apparently sent emails out to the students regarding this.

I'm still trying to source the email.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wow, both parties have mutually agreed to release each other from all future contract obligations and payments, which were guaranteed through the 2021 season.

That says a lot about Andersen's character to put the school and the program first. I am sure he could have been "fired" at the end of the season and received a pretty hefty buyout for years to come.

Wow, both parties have mutually agreed to release each other from all future contract obligations and payments, which were guaranteed through the 2021 season.

That says a lot about Andersen's character to put the school and the program first. I am sure he could have been "fired" at the end of the season and received a pretty hefty buyout for years to come.

Yeah kudos to Gary there... that's some standup guy stuff right there.

Apparently he left $12,000,000 on the table, as his contract was fully guaranteed through 2021:

Pretty remarkable and perhaps unprecedented for a coach to walk away from that much money. I have a lot of respect for him as both a person and a coach.

Apparently he left $12,000,000 on the table, as his contract was fully guaranteed through 2021:

Pretty remarkable and perhaps unprecedented for a coach to walk away from that much money. I have a lot of respect for him as both a person and a coach.

Respect for being a stand up guy, but pity for being so stupid. His head coaching career is over and now what is he going to do to make a living? He should have at least negotiated a reduced buyout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will the Arkansas coach do the same thing?

How does him getting paid according to the terms of a fairly negotiated contract have any impact on the players on the team? How is him getting a check a distraction to the players?

There is more to this story. I'm not buying the "he feels so hard he gave up millions" story line just yet

Oregon State should go after Chip Kelly - can you imagine what that would do the Oregon/Oregon State rivalry?!

Go Gophers!!

Who walks away from 15.3 million dollars?

The same guy who walked away from a cushy job at Wisconsin. With Barry there, he didn't have to do anything. He was essentially a security guard standing on the sidelines and jingling keys for 2 million a year.

Wow. I must be in the minority here. He had a contract. I think he is dumb for just walking away.

Doesn't he have kids to feed? :D

How does him getting paid according to the terms of a fairly negotiated contract have any impact on the players on the team? How is him getting a check a distraction to the players?

There is more to this story. I'm not buying the "he feels so hard he gave up millions" story line just yet

I think Andersen may be inferring that saddling OSU with a $15 mil buyout may significantly hamper the ability to pay top dollar in hiring the next staff.

Agree with you though, that there always could be something else to the story with him though...

Wow. I must be in the minority here. He had a contract. I think he is dumb for just walking away.

He seems like a very principled man. I'm not sure we'll ever know exactly why he left Wisconsin, but I'd bet there is a lot more to the story than just wanting to go west.
Just guessing that he has been very careful with the millions he has already made. He could also go the TV route, or with the move he just made, he could get plenty of speaking engagements.

He seems like a very principled man. I'm not sure we'll ever know exactly why he left Wisconsin, but I'd bet there is a lot more to the story than just wanting to go west.
Just guessing that he has been very careful with the millions he has already made. He could also go the TV route, or with the move he just made, he could get plenty of speaking engagements.

He straight up said he left because he didn't want to deal with Wisconsin's academic admissions.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-standards-pushed-gary-andersen-to-oregon-st/

I think Andersen may be inferring that saddling OSU with a $15 mil buyout may significantly hamper the ability to pay top dollar in hiring the next staff.

Agree with you though, that there always could be something else to the story with him though...

Yeah - he's either really a great guy or there is something else going on that he doesn't want to be made public. I think it's more likely the former but you never know.

Latrell's taking care of them

Yeah - he's either really a great guy or there is something else going on that he doesn't want to be made public. I think it's more likely the former but you never know.
Booster club might be taking care of some of it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This seems really dumb unless the University has some dirt on him.

Reduced buyout seems like the least they could have done.

Yeah - he's either really a great guy or <b>there is something else going on that he doesn't want to be made public. </b>I think it's more likely the former but you never know.

I was with you on the 2 options, but I'd go with the latter. In fact, I would bet a lot on it. Folks don't just give up millions because they are nice guys.

I dunno, it would have to be hell of a pile of dirt to be worth 15 million or whatever. If it's abusing players or sheltering rapists it would all come out with the lawsuits.

I'm guessing Andersen is a practicing Mormon so I would doubt either of those scenarios. He may be one of those people who is embarrassed by how much he's paid. He is "donating" the money to the school perhaps and maybe he feels he failed the school and the players and his is his genuine way of saying sorry. Pretty refreshing if you ask me. One doesn't often see CEOs giving back to the companies and employees they just robbed.. He and his family have generational wealth, he'll be fine doing whatever and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another chance at a small school.

Top Bottom