PMac: I think P.J. Fleck will experience a lot of success at the U...more than Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Is that even accurate?

I mean the panic is because we did alright last year and now look pretty damn bad. I'm not on the panic boat but I'm certainly worried and this situation seems quite different from previous coach transitions.

I'm not sure I'd link to Pat as an example of a fan. Phil seems pretty off the ball / extra hot takeish here..

Nobody has turned on him.

We're just watching the games.

Amazing how polarizing this guy is as a coach. He was reportedly that way at Western, they even had legal issues due to discussion about him.

You're either WITH or AGAINST, no in between. I think that slant starts with with him. He pushes "us against them".

Amazing how polarizing this guy is as a coach. He was reportedly that way at Western, they even had legal issues due to discussion about him.

You're either WITH or AGAINST, no in between. I think that slant starts with with him. He pushes "us against them".

All coaches have an us vs them narrative at some point.

Considering media coverage and such I think that's just natural.

If PJ Fleck wasn't our coach I would be worried. If we were looking at winning 4 games and still recruiting classes ranked in the 70s/80's I would be worried.

Give PJ time to recruit some talent. Your first year isn't usually loaded with expectations in football. Only so many kids can play as true freshman.

You heard him. Mackey predicts at least 9 wins next year. Lets hold him to that prediction for next year.;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I think it's a whole new level of arguing here on GH. Partly it's a reaction to Coyle and the way firing Claeys was handled. But it's definitely also due to PJ, and the things he says and does. People are certainly eager to jump on the little things like handing the ball back, running down the sidelines, wearing special shoes, and, of course, "elite" and "row the boat."

Amazing how quickly the narratives have been established regarding him by one faction: He's not an X's and O's coach. He doesn't care about winning this year. He's going to lose the upperclassmen.

We've played five games so far. Yes, the two losses were extremely frustrating. But this story has a long way to go. I honestly haven't seen anything yet to make me doubt that PJ Fleck gives the program its best chance in a long time to get to the next level.

Yep. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I think it's a whole new level of arguing here on GH. Partly it's a reaction to Coyle and the way firing Claeys was handled. But it's definitely also due to PJ, and the things he says and does. People are certainly eager to jump on the little things like handing the ball back, running down the sidelines, wearing special shoes, and, of course, "elite" and "row the boat."

Amazing how quickly the narratives have been established regarding him by one faction: He's not an X's and O's coach. He doesn't care about winning this year. He's going to lose the upperclassmen.

We've played five games so far. Yes, the two losses were extremely frustrating. But this story has a long way to go. I honestly haven't seen anything yet to make me doubt that PJ Fleck gives the program its best chance in a long time to get to the next level.

Mulligan, I hate to say it, but I think your memory is failing you. Fleck debate is nothing compared to the Mason debate, Tubby debate, Kill health debate, etc.

I'm looking forward to a fun win Saturday night to get the Big Ten season turned around.

Go Gophers!!

Never saw so many posters who have under 100 posts on this site that came out of the woodwork this past weekend and just blasted PJ.

If PJ Fleck wasn't our coach I would be worried. If we were looking at winning 4 games and still recruiting classes ranked in the 70s/80's I would be worried.

Can you enlighten me what period/coaching staff you are referring to?

The backlash towards Fleck five games into his career is just laughable. He has a QB that couldn't start in the MIAC, another one that fails drug tests and then zero depth on both sides of the ball. They lose starters to transfers, injuries, expulsions etc.

Fleck has upped recruiting a ton so far, We are the leader in the clubhouse for a top quarterback out of California. When have we EVER been in that situation. A fringe 4 star DE just decommited from Kentucky and now the Gophers are trending in Crystal ball. He would be the highest rated recruit of 2018.

Give Fleck time to change this around. The fan base is embarrassing at this point.

That'd be my hope. 8 regular season wins isn't all that impressive to me. Mason had 9 twice. Brewster had 6 twice.

If a coach could ever get us to 10 regular season wins I think I would enjoy it

Hope fleck is the guy. Don't know if he is. I feel like Kill and Claeys weren't.

People seem to not have the view that I had. Namely, if we had kept Claeys, we'd be on our way to 4-8 to 6-6 with poor recruiting and he'd be gone after this season.
At best Claeys was getting a one year (or two year with low buyout again) contract and if we didn't have enough to fire him last year, we would have had it this season by end of season.

As I recall, everyone knew we were full on rebuild when Kill got here. I don't recall people calling for his head in his first or second year or even third. The only time people started calling for his head was when his seizures got pretty bad. And with Fleck, no one is calling for his head either, but yes a lot of fans and people are frustrated because this was not a rebuild. It was a 9 win team. 9!!! Now we're losing to teams that won 1 or 2 B10 games only last year.

I honestly haven't seen anything yet to make me doubt that PJ Fleck gives the program its best chance in a long time to get to the next level.

You would say that no matter who the coach was this early in his tenure unless a video surfaced of him snorting cocaine with a $20 bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People seem to not have the view that I had. Namely, if we had kept Claeys, we'd be on our way to 4-8 to 6-6 with poor recruiting and he'd be gone after this season.
At best Claeys was getting a one year (or two year with low buyout again) contract and if we didn't have enough to fire him last year, we would have had it this season by end of season.

And you're an unbiased observer. I could think of some other descriptors.

Mulligan, I hate to say it, but I think your memory is failing you. Fleck debate is nothing compared to the Mason debate, Tubby debate, Kill health debate, etc.

I'm looking forward to a fun win Saturday night to get the Big Ten season turned around.

Go Gophers!!
You must be a Spartan fan...[emoji56]

I agree completely. In a year or two under cleays we are talking Brewster territory. He was a disaster waiting to happen and coyle knew that.

Top Bottom