QB Change

GoldyGopher31

Reaction score
I just heard from a reliable source that Demry Croft will be our guy going forward. Thoughts?

I duno.

He didn't beat Rhoda for the job.... maybe it sparks the team a bit but I'm not sure that lasts. It's not like it was all Rhoda's fault or anything.

I fear our best hope for QB is something next year.

Anyone remember when the scuttlebutt on GH was that Kill and TC couldn't evaluate QB talent because they DIDN'T play Rhoda?

1. I don't buy your "source". Paticicularly at your post # 15. Gopherhole is full of those.

2. When Croft is out of the doghouse and eligible to see time on the field, per Coach Fleck, I would not doubt he'd see some time. But no wholesale change at this time.

Hmmm...that's interesting. I'm not entirely surprised, as there are a ton of rational reasons to make the change:

1) If the "ball is the program," then this is no surprise at all. Rhoda has made entirely too many turnovers -- most in the red zone.
2) If inside zone is the bread and butter of this offense going forward, Croft certainly has a better chance to make that work.
3) If you truly don't care about winning this year and all things are equal with talent, why play a rsSR over a rsSO? Makes no sense.

That being said, it's a bit surprising in other ways, namely:

1) Rhoda was just named permanent starter two weeks ago -- and it was supposedly based on talent and performance, NOT character.
2) Even if that decision WAS based on character, it seems odd for a guy like PJ Fleck to make an about-face so quickly based on a couple losses.

Who knows if this report is even true, but it's sure interesting...

I don't know that I would name him the starter permanently, but he has potential to be terribly useful in this next game.

I also don't trust your source, but if you're right then nice scoop :)

To me if you wanted to give Rhoda the best chance at being successful, you would alter the offense to having him under center with one RB behind him (McCrary would see some more snaps) and do more play action passes and straight RB runs. Rhoda is not a good fit for the current offense even though I think he is an okay passer.

To me if you wanted to give Rhoda the best chance at being successful, you would alter the offense to having him under center with one RB behind him (McCrary would see some more snaps) and do more play action passes and straight RB runs. Rhoda is not a good fit for the current offense even though I think he is an okay passer.

Agreed, but against MSU, a mobile QB would be nice.

I just heard from a reliable source that Demry Croft will be our guy going forward. Thoughts?

I don't think you're source is "reliable". I could see Croft getting some playing time going forward though and the opportunity to win the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See if your "reliable" source knows if Winfield is 100% and able to play this week or if he'll be out another week. That's what I'd really like to know. With Winfield and Croft in the mix we may have a chance. While you're at it, ask about Howard and Weyler. Thanks

Hmmm...
not sure to trust source or not.

For PJ to be consistent in his story, Demry would have had to have a really good couple weeks to earn the trust of the coach and the team.

Hmmm...
not sure to trust source or not.

For PJ to be consistent in his story, Demry would have had to have a really good couple weeks to earn the trust of the coach and the team.

He was listed 3rd on depth chart, but reported he took all second team snaps during warm-ups.

If this is the case, I hope Fleck doesn't announce it until right before the game. No open practice, no nothing. Hide it all week and let us wonder.

If this is the case, I hope Fleck doesn't announce it until right before the game. No open practice, no nothing. Hide it all week and let us wonder.

MSU won't see it coming.
Can you imagine the first time we run the read option and the QB keeps it. Wide open field ahead.

I'll believe it when I see it from someone trustworthy but I think it would be the right call.

Rhoda has been better than I anticipated but this season isn't going anywhere. I would much rather see what Demry can do and put him in a position to improve for next season. I also think Demry's mobility would open up the offense to do a lot more and give them a chance to squeeze 3-4 more wins and make a bowl game

I'd predict Rhoda starts and we see Croft for at least a series or two.

1. I don't buy your "source". Paticicularly at your post # 15. Gopherhole is full of those.

2. When Croft is out of the doghouse and eligible to see time on the field, per Coach Fleck, I would not doubt he'd see some time. But no wholesale change at this time.

To me the fact he only has 15 posts makes this more believable, as it shows he doesn't come on GH to troll and/or spew garbage regularly. But perhaps I'm bored and reading too much into this.

If the offense is sputtering on Saturday night and Croft is truly out of the doghouse I believe he will get 2-3 series to show what he can do.

If he plays well and takes care of the ball I would expect him to be handed the keys moving forward.

I'll believe it when I see it from someone trustworthy but I think it would be the right call.

Rhoda has been better than I anticipated but this season isn't going anywhere. I would much rather see what Demry can do and put him in a position to improve for next season. I also think Demry's mobility would open up the offense to do a lot more and give them a chance to squeeze 3-4 more wins and make a bowl game

Big Ten Stats against Maryland and Purdue (not exactly powerhouse defenses)
Conor Rhoda, Minnesota 2(games) 24-51-3 47.1(PCT) 330(yards) 3(TD) 165.0(avg per game)

If that qualifies as better than anticipated then I would hate to see what you were anticipating. Rhoda isn't the full problem on offense but he is a big part of it and that is not his fault because he was a guy that never should have been needed to start at a Big Ten program. He is a kid who should have ridden out his college career on the bench, enjoying the experience, and helping with the scout team. The fact that he has become the best available option says a lot about the QB recruiting of Kill/Claeys.

At this point, if either is capable at all, I would hand the reigns to Croft or Green. They honestly can't be much worse then Rhoda as a passer and at the very least they would both add the threat of the QB running which should open some things up for the RB in theory.

Would love to see the local boy turned hero angle come true for Rhoda but he is what he is. For all the hand wringing about Leidner (much of it justified), he was light years ahead of Rhoda as a college QB.

Big Ten Stats against Maryland and Purdue (not exactly powerhouse defenses)
Conor Rhoda, Minnesota 2(games) 24-51-3 47.1(PCT) 330(yards) 3(TD) 165.0(avg per game)

If that qualifies as better than anticipated then I would hate to see what you were anticipating. Rhoda isn't the full problem on offense but he is a big part of it and that is not his fault because he was a guy that never should have been needed to start at a Big Ten program. He is a kid who should have ridden out his college career on the bench, enjoying the experience, and helping with the scout team. The fact that he has become the best available option says a lot about the QB recruiting of Kill/Claeys.

At this point, if either is capable at all, I would hand the reigns to Croft or Green. They honestly can't be much worse then Rhoda as a passer and at the very least they would both add the threat of the QB running which should open some things up for the RB in theory.

Would love to see the local boy turned hero angle come true for Rhoda but he is what he is. For all the hand wringing about Leidner (much of it justified), he was light years ahead of Rhoda as a college QB.

Not sure if I would say these stats are light years ahead of Rhoda. And he had 4 years of starting experience under his belt. Neither of them are/were good college QBs. Simple as that.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
2013 Minnesota Big Ten FR QB 10 43 78 55.1 619 7.9 8.1 3 1 131.9
2014 Minnesota Big Ten SO QB 12 122 237 51.5 1798 7.6 7.0 11 8 123.8
2015 Minnesota Big Ten JR QB 13 242 407 59.5 2701 6.6 6.1 14 11 121.2
2016 Minnesota Big Ten SR QB 12 173 307 56.4 2169 7.1 5.8 8 12 116.5
Career Minnesota 580 1029 56.4 7287 7.1 6.4 36 32 121.2

Man I hate this forum. Reading the threads y'all act like the world is ending. Now I know why other fans tell me not to come here. If I was Fleck I'd dart out of here first chance I got. We only deserve coaches like Brewster because as fans, we are acting like ****ing idiots.

I don’t trust sources other than the coach. I could see Croft getting some PT to spark the offense and motivate Rhoda a little. I still say we are a solid team but I am biased.

MSU won't see it coming.
Can you imagine the first time we run the read option and the QB keeps it. Wide open field ahead.

Wrong!! MSU knows already.

The B1G coaches regularly read GH b/c all of us are really more intelligent and more prepared than the U staff. Haven't you read anything in the last two weeks? SHeeesh.

Man I hate this forum. Reading the threads y'all act like the world is ending. Now I know why other fans tell me not to come here. If I was Fleck I'd dart out of here first chance I got. We only deserve coaches like Brewster because as fans, we are acting like ****ing idiots.

If you think any program that Fleck would dart out of here for that is considered above Minnesota in prestige is going to have a more sane fan base after a loss on message boards, you're a fool....

I believe that we may sometimes have unrealistic expectations considering what we have accomplished in the past & what we have to change that past in the present and going forward....and I usually try to avoid message boards after losses, especially when I haven't re-watched the game....but if you think this place is any different than any other fan message board, like I said above, you're a fool!

You read what you read here because this is where the passionate fans are.... with a few trollers mixed in...

There are a good number of posters here with great insight and knowledge, and they all honestly care about the program.... and sometimes reading posts that oppose you opinion is not such a bad idea.

The detritus following a bad loss needs to be expected, but the Star Tribune comment section this ain't...

Ben Leiber on KFAN this morning said that he heard Croft is starting this weekend.

Ben Leiber on KFAN this morning said that he heard Croft is starting this weekend.

So he apparently started this whole deal. I heard this, I heard that! Anything to try and get listeners in to his show I guess.

There is a lot of insanity in this forum.

But I don't know of any coaches that have left because of it yet.

You know, it's funny because when I created that ****post yesterday, I did think that Croft should get the start this week, but I didn't think there was a chance it would happen.
I'm wrong about most things in life so I'm sure this will not turn out well, but I do think that Croft has a better chance against this MSU team. They kicked the crap out of O'Korn. The only team that has had any success against them was Notre Dame with their scrambling QB.

I don’t trust sources other than the coach. I could see Croft getting some PT to spark the offense and motivate Rhoda a little. I still say we are a solid team but I am biased.

This team is without a doubt solid if they have their starting safeties and maybe a starting corner. Croft being able to play too.

Top Bottom