QB Change

Guess this thread is over. Announced on another thread today that Rhoda will be the starter. The reliable source wasn't so reliable after all.

If Croft was starting you wouldn't know until Saturday.

Guess this thread is over. Announced on another thread today that Rhoda will be the starter. The reliable source wasn't so reliable after all.

Most likely, but if we have learned one thing this year it is that PJ feels no obligation to mention and/or be fully honest about personnel. I'm not saying he needs to be or even should, but we have to take all of this in that context. Remember, the Duke stuff was out there for days and PJ never confirmed it - until Sat pregame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be pretty slow. It's not the fumble, it's the trying to pick it up and having it squirt through your legs behind you instead of falling on it. They've only been told tens of times to fall on it, but I guess that wouldn't matter to someone like yourself.

This post is funny. Sure, trying to pick up a fumble is far worse than 4 redzone TOs. Sure, they haven't been told not to fumble. Croft was sat for his "ball is the program" miscue because PJ had a choice. He didn't have the choice with Rhoda because Croft did some other no-no as well.

This post is funny. Sure, trying to pick up a fumble is far worse than 4 redzone TOs. Sure, they haven't been told not to fumble. Croft was sat for his "ball is the program" miscue because PJ had a choice. He didn't have the choice with Rhoda because Croft did some other no-no as well.

You seriously want to go down that hole again?

I feel the same way about this. That play Rhoda made on option inside the 10 yard line Saturday was AWFUL. It wasn't just bad...it was worse than that. He was indecisive, didn't trust his read, let the ball get away from his body, and sort of halfheartedly stuck it out for extra yards. I'm sure these are things he's told not to do, but he did them anyway. You know why he did them? He wasn't thinking. He made a mistake. Sort of like freaking out and not jumping on a fumble you dropped because it was raining. Same as a guy throwing into double coverage because he thinks his arm is good enough to force it in there. They're all mental errors. They're all effort plays. They're all a guy wanting to make something happen.

At the end of the day, PJ gets to make those decisions. I don't envy him having to draw the line on which are benchable...

Don't know anything about your source, but I'd be very surprised if Rhoda doesn't start Saturday. If the Gophers get into big trouble, maybe Croft could see some playing time. Personally, I'd have started Streveler last year and this year and barring that would have given Croft the starter against Buffalo to see what he can do. The offense this year is about 20% of what an offense should be.

I just heard from a reliable source that Demry Croft will be our guy going forward. Thoughts?
LOL, the old "reliable source" routine. I love it when old reliable surfaces to get things stirred up.
I also heard from a reliable source that this night game is being broadcast exclusively on Aggievision. [emoji41]

You seriously want to go down that hole again?

So he had a realistic choice to sit Rhoda for fumbling when Croft was suspended?

It's times like this that we need to keep rowing.

I'm gonna spend the rest of the season rowing from my bark-a-lounger rather than spending my money on a seat at the bank...cause last time I was at the bank...I was robbed!!! [emoji41]

I think the biggest issue PJ has in starting Croft is slating him as the #3 last week.
He did that to say you have to play yourself back in the #2 role after making mistakes.

So if Rhoda was hurt, would he really stick by that or not.

I would have to assume if Croft becomes "starter" material again and we have "two starters" that we'll see split duty this week at best.

MSU won't see it coming.
Can you imagine the first time we run the read option and the QB keeps it. Wide open field ahead.

For the GH's the afore mentioned inside zone IS an option play. Unfortunately the way we are running it, the QB has been instructed to give the ball. Which takes the option out of the equation. Perhaps if we play someone other than Rhoda, we will see the true option segment.

I remember one of many, many blurbs on TV featuring Fleck. He was telling about how he made a mistake that cost his team. He was dejected on the bench when the off. cord. or head coach came up to him and said we believe in you. We are coming right back to you. He said that meant a lot to him and he has that same philosophy when players make mistakes. Supposedly that was about game mistakes and that is why bench Croft for the fumble doesn't fit with that story. If he is sticking to that philosophy ...there must be a much more to it.

For the GH's the afore mentioned inside zone IS an option play. Unfortunately the way we are running it, the QB has been instructed to give the ball. Which takes the option out of the equation. Perhaps if we play someone other than Rhoda, we will see the true option segment.

Once again, inside zone is not necessarily an option play.

I remember one of many, many blurbs on TV featuring Fleck. He was telling about how he made a mistake that cost his team. He was dejected on the bench when the off. cord. or head coach came up to him and said we believe in you. We are coming right back to you. He said that meant a lot to him and he has that same philosophy when players make mistakes. Supposedly that was about game mistakes and that is why bench Croft for the fumble doesn't fit with that story. If he is sticking to that philosophy ...there must be a much more to it.

And, once again, he didn't bench Croft for fumbling.

I think the biggest issue PJ has in starting Croft is slating him as the #3 last week.
He did that to say you have to play yourself back in the #2 role after making mistakes.

So if Rhoda was hurt, would he really stick by that or not.

I would have to assume if Croft becomes "starter" material again and we have "two starters" that we'll see split duty this week at best.

Croft jus' has to keep on rowin'!!!!

Fleck today: Fleck reiterated that Connor Rhoda will remain the starting quarterback.

“If there was a better answer today, I would have somebody else in there. That’s not the better answer,’’ Fleck said. “He’s the better answer for our football team. He’s proven that he can run this offense very efficiently. But he’s also make mistakes. What I want to be able to say is, ‘Watch him grow from those mistakes.’ ’’

PJ says it's still Rhoda

http://www.startribune.com/four-injured-gophers-starters-will-miss-michigan-state-game/450107923/

But he has been less than truthful to the press before; i.e. Duke's suspension, asked directly if anyone other than Croft was suspended, he said "Not that I can think of right now" (Mark Coyle school of non-answers).

There is a difference, PJ actually knew the truth and refused to answer, while Coyle.....um......uhhhh........what happened is....you need to understand.....very happy with the way things are going.....Row the HYPPRRR, or whatever it is that little guy who makes all the noise keeps saying.....

And, once again, he didn't bench Croft for fumbling.

I believe it was Merrick Jackson, on the 4th Purdue fumble, tried to pick it up instead of falling on it. Luckily, I believe it Stetler was the one who came out with the football. Does anybody remember if Jackson played the rest of the game after this play?

Not much has been discussed about that attempted pick up & play....

I believe it was Merrick Jackson, on the 4th Purdue fumble, tried to pick it up instead of falling on it. Luckily, I believe it Stetler was the one who came out with the football. Does anybody remember if Jackson played the rest of the game after this play?

I think someone said it's different on defense...that they practice to scoop and run?

The defense is supposed to attempt to scoop-and-score whenever possible; the offense is not.

Explains the difference then. I don't agree with it, but that's my opinion & sounds like they're doing what they're told.

The amount of criticism leveled on Croft for not falling on a ball that was near-impossible to fall on is ludicrous considering the bonehead missed assignments on defense, fumbles, throws into coverage, and trotting out a crippled Durr for the two minute drill. Rationalizations about what is coached vs not coached in terms of mistakes.

The amount of criticism leveled on Croft for not falling on a ball that was near-impossible to fall on is ludicrous considering the bonehead missed assignments on defense, fumbles, throws into coverage, and trotting out a crippled Durr for the two minute drill. Rationalizations about what is coached vs not coached in terms of mistakes.

He was able to put his hands on it. If you can do that, you can fall on it with a good chance to recover. Maybe he would have still lost the ball, but he would have done what the coaches had told him to and he wouldn't have been benched. End of story.

Fleck is trolling Gopherhole. He now lists Morgan as 3rd on the Depth Chart.

Top Bottom