QB Change

While I don't think Rhoda is per se the problem with the offense, putting Croft does have two positives:

1. Running game (zone read) - obviously he's more of a threat to keep the ball. That alone will force teams to loosen up on the RB.
2. Offensive line - being more mobile, he can keep plays alive a little better when teams penetrate the line. The pass blocking hasn't been terrible from my recollection, but it hasn't been great either. If he can keep plays alive a little longer receivers will have a better chance at getting open.

Of course, he needs to make good decisions. The above advantages will get wiped out fast if he turns the ball over.

We'll see if this is true and if so how long it lasts...

Man I hate this forum. Reading the threads y'all act like the world is ending. Now I know why other fans tell me not to come here. If I was Fleck I'd dart out of here first chance I got. We only deserve coaches like Brewster because as fans, we are acting like ****ing idiots.

I suggest you listen to those other fans. We will try to get by without posts that complain about complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I hate this forum. Reading the threads y'all act like the world is ending. Now I know why other fans tell me not to come here. If I was Fleck I'd dart out of here first chance I got. We only deserve coaches like Brewster because as fans, we are acting like ****ing idiots.

You mean the handful of fans that seem to be getting joy from the team losing two games? I agree it's frustrating. I think it's the minority and they could be trolls.

It's times like this that we need to keep rowing.

Times are tough, we're off course a bit, but let's not just throw the oars in the water and give up.
If we keep doing the things we need to do as fans, results will eventually come as a product of our process.

Going crazy and posting a bunch of angry posts isn't rowing the boat. It's being a distraction.

We just need to keep rowing (and as fans, we have it easy), so let's try not to sabotage ourselves by acting like loser fans of a loser football program. Let's try and be confident, patient, and stable.

(Let's not act like Nebraska fans after each loss).

I duno.

He didn't beat Rhoda for the job.... maybe it sparks the team a bit but I'm not sure that lasts. It's not like it was all Rhoda's fault or anything.

I fear our best hope for QB is something next year.

Anyone remember when the scuttlebutt on GH was that Kill and TC couldn't evaluate QB talent because they DIDN'T play Rhoda?

It was Parra not Rhoda. Parra sat on the bench at STA last year, though I think he is their starter this season. As for Croft, I thought he was better in the Spring and vs Buffalo, I think you got to see what you have with him, as we are very limited in what we can do with Rhoda. Who knows if this is even true though

While I don't think Rhoda is per se the problem with the offense, putting Croft does have two positives:

1. Running game (zone read) - obviously he's more of a threat to keep the ball. That alone will force teams to loosen up on the RB.
2. Offensive line - being more mobile, he can keep plays alive a little better when teams penetrate the line. The pass blocking hasn't been terrible from my recollection, but it hasn't been great either. If he can keep plays alive a little longer receivers will have a better chance at getting open.

Of course, he needs to make good decisions. The above advantages will get wiped out fast if he turns the ball over.

We'll see if this is true and if so how long it lasts...

I agree with this, and I think Rhoda's fumble really did him in.
He had an entire side of the field open on first and goal and couldn't hold on to the football.
If what Croft did was enough to give Rhoda the starting job, what Rhoda did was enough to give it right back.

When I saw that defense lineup I saw an instant touchdown, our coaches did as well, they audibled to it, and Rhoda did the worst possible thing and looked completely inept in the process.

Are they any rumors about Fleck going after a JC or grad transfer QB?

Are they any rumors about Fleck going after a JC or grad transfer QB?

I thought that he'd indicated that this was not part of his M.O....... I guess in the end, it would depend who is on the plate.

I thought that he'd indicated that this was not part of his M.O....... I guess in the end, it would depend who is on the plate.

Yeah I don't think Fleck likes bringing in JC guys if he can avoid it. I'm sure if there was a perfect fit out there they might make a run at him but I would expect them to look to hand the reigns to Morgan next season assuming he shows he can get it done. This year they are going with best available and for better or worse that appears to be Rhoda at the moment. Will be interesting to see if one of the other guys gets a longer look due to Rhoda's struggles against Big Ten defenses so far.

It's times like this that we need to keep rowing.

Times are tough, we're off course a bit, but let's not just throw the oars in the water and give up.
If we keep doing the things we need to do as fans, results will eventually come as a product of our process.

Going crazy and posting a bunch of angry posts isn't rowing the boat. It's being a distraction.

We just need to keep rowing (and as fans, we have it easy), so let's try not to sabotage ourselves by acting like loser fans of a loser football program. Let's try and be confident, patient, and stable.

(Let's not act like Nebraska fans after each loss).

Don't do the crap you were doing last year. There's a saying about Rocks and glass houses.

Yeah JP said outright he doesn't do the JC thing as a part of how he recruits regularly.

Of course they did offer one but I don't think we can expect it.

He begged Rhoda to stay and still tossed Neil McLaurin aside (awkwardly...)....

PJ says it's still Rhoda

http://www.startribune.com/four-injured-gophers-starters-will-miss-michigan-state-game/450107923/

But he has been less than truthful to the press before; i.e. Duke's suspension, asked directly if anyone other than Croft was suspended, he said "Not that I can think of right now" (Mark Coyle school of non-answers).

PJ needs to come up with some better rules for himself about this stuff.

If you don't want to talk just say "no comment". Or come up with a policy on "I don't talk about discipline matters". Or something about not talking about the QB starter or something.

His half answers make it seems like he is searching for answers while in front of the press... or that he is wishy washy about all these things.

He might be on the ball for all these things but his vague comments make it seem otherwise.

The only way I see Rhoda getting benched in favor of Croft is if A. Rhoda get's hurt or B. Rhoda has a turnover fest on Saturday. Otherwise I don't think coach Fleck is going to change QB's. He pretty much said in the paper Rhoda is still going to be and is his starter. The message is pretty clear, break the rules and you break the trust the coach is going to have for you. He seems pretty straight forward about that.

The only way I see Rhoda getting benched in favor of Croft is if A. Rhoda get's hurt or B. Rhoda has a turnover fest on Saturday. Otherwise I don't think coach Fleck is going to change QB's. He pretty much said in the paper Rhoda is still going to be and is his starter. The message is pretty clear, break the rules and you break the trust the coach is going to have for you. He seems pretty straight forward about that.

Really cause the message I got was fumble the football and your ass is on the bench. Guess who fumbled this time?

Really cause the message I got was fumble the football and your ass is on the bench. Guess who fumbled this time?

For probably the 3,785th time, Croft didn't get benched because of the fumble. The (at least stated) reason was because he tried to scoop it up instead of falling on it. It wasn't the fumble, it was his response to the fumble.

For probably the 3,785th time, Croft didn't get benched because of the fumble. The (at least stated) reason was because he tried to scoop it up instead of falling on it. It wasn't the fumble, it was his response to the fumble.

It doesn't matter, he put the ball on the ground when he should have scored a touchdown. What he did was far worse than a bobbled snap.

I suspect that is the case as well.

PJ is ok with failing (and he better be because we're getting a lot of that).

He is not ok with being given a clear order and choosing not to follow it.

Fair or not that seemed to be the trigger.

It doesn't matter, he put the ball on the ground when he should have scored a touchdown. What he did was far worse than a bobbled snap.

They are both bad, but I don't agree with you that Rhoda's was worse.

I believe the argument is - he didn't choose to fumble. Croft didn't choose to fumble either. It's at least somewhat out of their control. Choosing not to fall on the ball is a conscious decision and goes directly against what they've been drilled to do.

You must be pretty slow. It's not the fumble, it's the trying to pick it up and having it squirt through your legs behind you instead of falling on it. They've only been told tens of times to fall on it, but I guess that wouldn't matter to someone like yourself.

Yer right. Fumbling inside your own 20 and then trying to pick it up when you've been told over and over and over to fall on the ball, and having it go between your legs backwards is no big deal. Man! Thanks for the clarification!

Rhoda didn't only fumble, he has three interceptions in the red zone. Four red zone turnovers overall, and they have been killers the past two weeks. The ball is the program. Unless it's not.

Rhoda simply hasn't brought enough to the table in other ways to overlook those turnovers. Croft, Green, Morgan ... I dont care who, but one of them should be getting a few series, if not a start.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I'm fine with Rhoda as the starter, and maybe we'll compete with or even beat MSU.
If we don't, and the offense is not good, then I'd be upset to not give someone else some experience.

Why do so many talk like Croft is #2 on he depth chart?

Why do so many talk like Croft is #2 on he depth chart?

He was earlier, and earlier it was a two man competition... and nobody else has gotten much praise beyond say "needs lots of reps"....*

*Tanner got praise but also that they want to keep his red shirt on at all costs.

Rhoda didn't only fumble, he has three interceptions in the red zone. Four red zone turnovers overall, and they have been killers the past two weeks. The ball is the program. Unless it's not.

Rhoda simply hasn't brought enough to the table in other ways to overlook those turnovers. Croft, Green, Morgan ... I dont care who, but one of them should be getting a few series, if not a start.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

But but but he's such a great leader.:mad:

Anyone remember when the scuttlebutt on GH was that Kill and TC couldn't evaluate QB talent because they DIDN'T play Rhoda?

A slight bit of selective mid-remembering going on here. Kill/TC couldn’t evaluate QB talent because they never could find a good QB and ran off most every one they recruited. Rhoda was a only minor part of the argument.

Guess this thread is over. Announced on another thread today that Rhoda will be the starter. The reliable source wasn't so reliable after all.

Top Bottom