Gophers open up +4 vs Michigan State; line then shifts slightly to +3

Will be interesting to see what the over/under opens at later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good gawd!! Why would bettors take Minnesota on what is essentially a home field advantage point spread!? I'd be on MSU like flies on garbage.

Good gawd!! Why would bettors take Minnesota on what is essentially a home field advantage point spread!? I'd be on MSU like flies on garbage.

We're playing at home against a defense that can't defend the zone read and all we do is zone read.
They are coming off of a super emotional win and have to play as on the road at night.

Take away our home field advantage and they are a touchdown better than us with all of that considered.

That sounds about right to me.

That said, I would also take MSU because I'm not sure that we're going to be able to defend against their receivers.

:( I miss Claeys

We're playing at home against a defense that can't defend the zone read and all we do is zone read.
They are coming off of a super emotional win and have to play as on the road at night.

Take away our home field advantage and they are a touchdown better than us with all of that considered.

That said, I would also take MSU because I'm not sure that we're going to be able to defend against their receivers.

Ya, I miss how Claeys' defense gave up 118 points through the first 5 games last year and Flecks, without a starting defensive backfield the last 2 games, has given up 79 points through the first 5 games (7 of those given up by a pic 6).

This could be a picture perfect definition of a trap game

And I don't miss Claeys at all. If the program was heading in the right direction he would still have a job. Coaches have done 100x worse things than he did and held a job. Also he is still unemployed. If he was such a great coach that would not be the case. He's gone, move on. The program is much better for it.

Also he is still unemployed. If he was such a great coach that would not be the case.

This is a really stupid take. Who had an open job for him in early January? If he's still unemployed for the 2018 season, your point will become valid.

This is a really stupid take. Who had an open job for him in early January? If he's still unemployed for the 2018 season, your point will become valid.

Well Wake Forest took his DC or over him.

And also what "bad thing" did he do? He will be back and will have a great defense for somebody.

I'd be willing to bet my annual salary that Claeys will not be the Head Coach for a P5 school in 2018. Would he ever have become a HC if Kill didn't have health issues? Give me a break, others from the staff were able to find a job.

Well Wake Forest took his DC or over him.

"Wake Forest took his DC" is the accurate part of that post. Over him? You think Claeys and Sawvel both applied and they took Sawvel? I very much doubt that was the case. Going to Wake Forest was essentially a lateral move for Sawvel (1 year as a DC), while it would be a big step down for Claeys with decades of DC experience and HC experience in the Big Ten, and having earned far more over his career than Sawvel. A Wake Forest-type job is about the best Sawvel could hope for, and luckily for him it was available right away - he was smart to take it. Claeys earned multiple millions in his 6 years at Minnesota and could afford to be more selective. Does he want to take a Power 5 DC job? Does he want to go down to low-level FBS (or more likely FCS) and get a head coaching job again? I don't know, and neither do you. Taking any available job when he could easily retire if he wants would be short-sighted and stupid. I know the majority of posters here hate Claeys and resent his existence, but I think even his biggest detractors wouldn't call him stupid.

I'd be willing to bet my annual salary that Claeys will not be the Head Coach for a P5 school in 2018. Would he ever have become a HC if Kill didn't have health issues? Give me a break, others from the staff were able to find a job.

Doubt he wants to be HC. Was in a spot and really had no choice than to try it here. Did the program a favor or we would have had a crisis to find a new coach. Those rowing should thank him. Its funny how people just assume guys like him are throwing out resumes the day after being dismissed. He will have choices because he is a well respected defensive coach. Don't be surprised if he ends up at a pro position of some sort, he has connections there.

I'd be willing to bet my annual salary that Claeys will not be the Head Coach for a P5 school in 2018.

Who said that he would? Who are you betting against?

Would he ever have become a HC if Kill didn't have health issues?

I say yes. Hypotheticals are fun, because neither opinion can be proven correct.

Give me a break, others from the staff were able to find a job.

See my post above. Please post proof that he even looked for/applied for a job. You're looking through the lens of 9-to-5 working schlubs like us. Guys with millions in the bank can afford to be selective and aren't going to apply for whatever job is out there in January because they don't need the income.

"Wake Forest took his DC" is the accurate part of that post. Over him? You think Claeys and Sawvel both applied and they took Sawvel? I very much doubt that was the case. Going to Wake Forest was essentially a lateral move for Sawvel (1 year as a DC), while it would be a big step down for Claeys with decades of DC experience and HC experience in the Big Ten, and having earned far more over his career than Sawvel. A Wake Forest-type job is about the best Sawvel could hope for, and luckily for him it was available right away - he was smart to take it. Claeys earned multiple millions in his 6 years at Minnesota and could afford to be more selective. Does he want to take a Power 5 DC job? Does he want to go down to low-level FBS (or more likely FCS) and get a head coaching job again? I don't know, and neither do you. Taking any available job when he could easily retire if he wants would be short-sighted and stupid. I know the majority of posters here hate Claeys and resent his existence, but I think even his biggest detractors wouldn't call him stupid.

Dude relax, I was being sarcastic. Claeys had no incentive to work this year.

I'm a Minnesota basketball fan but a MSU football fan (Born in MN now at MSU for grad school). I have season tickets to MSU games. I'm surprised by this comment and maybe I've missed something(Entirely possible as I know basketball better than football) but this year has MSU really been that susceptible to zone read? If you could elaborate on this that'd be great. ND opened with play action passing against MSU and didn't play all that much zone read in that game and the rest of the games MSU defense has been pretty tough.

. .... They are coming off of a super emotional win and have to play as on the road at night.

Dantonio is 8-2 in "next games" after playing rival Michigan, including 4-1 on the road. If the Gophers beat Michigan State it won't have anything to do with a hangover.

You keep beating this drum.

And you have written several times about how Wimbush from ND gashed them.

MSU is #12 in the nation for rushing defense, having given up fewer than 100 yards per game (total of 486 yards).

Josh Adams from ND is #6 in the nation in rushing with 776 yards, or just under 130 yards per game. MSU held him to 56 yards. Wimbush ran for 52 yards against them, with his longest attempt being 32 yards.

Including Wimbush and the other QB's that MSU have faced, they have rushed for: 52, -10, -17, 30, -7, and -9 yards. That works out to be an average of 6.5 rushing yards per game by all QBs facing MSU.

They also happen to be #4 in total defense, measured by yards allowed.

[edit: had one of the rushing numbers wrong]

No...all we do is zone...I haven't seen the read (QB keep) as part of the play. Has anybody else seen it?

Ya, I miss how Claeys' defense gave up 118 points through the first 5 games last year and Flecks, without a starting defensive backfield the last 2 games, has given up 79 points through the first 5 games (7 of those given up by a pic 6).

Do you miss Claeys defense that won big 10 games and shut down the opponent in the bowl game?

Reports today say Connelly, Thomas, Howard, Winfield all out vs MSU. The line will only get worse.

Top Bottom