Can anyone explain this

husker70

Reaction score
I watched the Michigan State Spartans beat Michigan at the Big House. That is a fact. But when you look at the polls whether AP, or ESPN Coaches Michigan fell 10 spots to 17 and Michigan State comes in a 21. This was not an upset, it wasn't as close as the score. I would sooner think teams rankings should be reversed.

I watched the Michigan State Spartans beat Michigan at the Big House. That is a fact. But when you look at the polls whether AP, or ESPN Coaches Michigan fell 10 spots to 17 and Michigan State comes in a 21. This was not an upset, it wasn't as close as the score. I would sooner think teams rankings should be reversed.

Michigan has built up a bunch of deposits to draw from. Harbaugh is every where. Michigan State is more in prove it to me mode. They have had bad press and voters aren't quite ready to forgive and embrace them with open arms despite the game result.

Is Iowa State ranked higher than Oklahoma?

Iowa State has two losses. It was a big win, but no.

The press angle is valid, and Coach Mark Dantonio loves the no respect angle. He has ridden that horse to two Big 10 Championships. Jim Harbaugh is still the little brother in Michigan. The press should pick that up.

There is still a carryover effect of the bias of the (worthless) preseason polls. And the Spartans were beaten soundly by Notre Dame.

Michigan won the stats lines except a big one: 5 turnovers to zero. Despite that enormous differential they lost by all of 4 points. That defense is legit. Michigan playing their backup QB. If these teams play a best of 7...

That, and MSU was destroyed by (a pretty good) Notre Dame. I respect the hell out of MSU and their coach. They appear to be trending back in the righ direction.

I watched the Michigan State Spartans beat Michigan at the Big House. That is a fact. But when you look at the polls whether AP, or ESPN Coaches Michigan fell 10 spots to 17 and Michigan State comes in a 21. This was not an upset*, it wasn't as close as the score. I would sooner think teams rankings should be reversed.

It was an upset, and the reason that Michigan is ranked higher than Michigan State is that most pollee's don't base their rankings entirely on the last week.

Well whoever has the OSU - Michigan game will want to keep touting Michigan and OSU both.
That's a big money maker and they spend a lot of money to air it.

If it just ends up being a game between the third and fourth place teams in the east, it's not as good of a story.

Well whoever has the OSU - Michigan game will want to keep touting Michigan and OSU both.
That's a big money maker and they spend a lot of money to air it.

If it just ends up being a game between the third and fourth place teams in the east, it's not as good of a story.

Huh?

My impression is that, with the polls, it's hard to move up. If you start at, say #30, you have to win big and teams ranked in front of you have to lose for you to move up. conversely, a team that is ranked near the top at the start of the season really has to stink to drop out of the top 20. You generally don't see big jumps in either direction. That is why, given a choice, you would always rather be in the top-20 at the start of the season, because you have a better chance of being in the top 20 at the end of the season. If you start outside the top 20, you have to be darn near perfect, and a few teams in front of you have to crap the bed.

MSU didn't get any votes in that A.P. Poll last week. 37 other teams did. That means Sparty went up at least 16 spots and Michigan fell the 10 you are talking about. All things considered, that's a lot of movement in one week.

If Michigan and MSU play 10 times, Michigan wins 7-8 of those times. They are the better team, the better team doesn't always win. That's why you play the game.

As someone else posted, I think the loss they had to Notre Dame, combined with Michigan beating Florida, has more to do with their spots in the polls.

Michigan State

As someone else posted, I think the loss they had to Notre Dame, combined with Michigan beating Florida, has more to do with their spots in the polls.

MSU was 3-9 last year and got beat by Notre Dame, that is why the AP and ESPN coaches poll are dogging them a bit. Michigan without Speight(sp) there starting QB was exposed a little bit. The back up QB for the Wolverines is not very good.

Top Bottom