Who will have a better career at their respective school? Fleck or Brohm?

Who will have a better career at their respective school? Fleck or Brohm?

• Fleck will have a better career at Minnesota

Votes: 117 78.5%
  • Brohm will have a better career at Purdue

Votes: 32 21.5%

• Total voters
Kind of like Gopherholers and Brohm. Wierd fixations and inferiority complexes on both sides?

I WANT to draw out that Brohm is an insider with an inferiority complex, we are mere outsiders..... This isn't about my facial tic... is it?

Ryan Burns on his last podcast said that he's gotten texts from people who have attended Purdue practices which have said that Brohm will randomly bring up Fleck and start talking about him in the middle fo the practice.

I guess it depends what is said, to whom, and in what context. But nonetheless, I think that is unusual.

Still, I think this is the honest truth: it very unlikely that Fleck and Brohm can simultaneously achieve what they respectively want to do at Minnesota and Purdue. There's just not enough room, not enough wins to go around, when you've also got Wisconsin, Iowa, and NW and Nebraska in the division. Unless all four of those absolutely tank, and Minnesota and Purdue rule the roost ... but that is just probably not going to happen.

Kind of like Gopherholers and Brohm. Wierd fixations and inferiority complexes on both sides?

Are you comparing a head coach in the Big Ten to random fans on a message board?

If Brohm really does that, it's pretty funny. I get people not liking how Fleck does things but it's like some people are offended by it.

Are you comparing a head coach in the Big Ten to random fans on a message board?

If Brohm really does that, it's pretty funny. I get people not liking how Fleck does things but it's like some people are offended by it.

They’re just people like you and I, so yes.

I could see some reasons why Brohm may be jealous of PJ. PJ was the next up and coming hot coach that got all of the publicity. Brohm had a major victory against OSU, but PJ kept getting the limelight with his Culture talk.

PJ can be an acquired taste, but you can’t deny his positivity. Brohm’s DC constantly looks like he wants to tear someone’s head off! Brohm’s recruiting doesn’t look to be B1G level in terms of size, looks more like a SDSU level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A head coach won't lost long if they react the way many fans do after every game.

Seriously.

Look at this forum. In one thread we weren't aggressive enough defensively.... coming off of what looked like our most aggressive game defensively.

A head coach won't lost long if they react the way many fans do after every game.

Plenty of coaches get emotional and have thin skins including ours. I get it, many here are jealous of the national coverage of Purdue, their splashy wins the last couple years ,and their recruiting success and are pointing out the Sconnie win, etc.

But, PJ now is 2 in a row vs Brohm which is definitely a feather in his cap. If The guys can put together a good season, maintain recruiting momentum then long term PJ will get the national media love. It will start in earnest if we can get to 7-0 or 8-0 as soon as this year.

Plenty of coaches get emotional and have thin skins including ours. I get it, many here are jealous of the national coverage of Purdue, their splashy wins the last couple years ,and their recruiting success and are pointing out the Sconnie win, etc.

But, PJ now is 2 in a row vs Brohm which is definitely a feather in his cap. If The guys can put together a good season, maintain recruiting momentum then long term PJ will get the national media love. It will start in earnest if we can get to 7-0 or 8-0 as soon as this year.

Not sure I see Fleck as thin skinned. He is always complimentary of an opponent before or after a game, win or lose. He started his post game press conference with several compliments regarding Purdue... explosiveness, recruiting, etc. Always seeks out and compliments opposing players who had an effective game... I guess he could be viewed as thin skinned about others not giving Minnesota credit where credit is due. Probably should leave his family off of the table too!

Not sure I see Fleck as thin skinned. He is always complimentary of an opponent before or after a game, win or lose. He started his post game press conference with several compliments regarding Purdue... explosiveness, recruiting, etc. Always seeks out and compliments opposing players who had an effective game... I guess he could be viewed as thin skinned about others not giving Minnesota credit where credit is due. Probably should leave his family off of the table too!

Well, not as thin skinned as some for sure. I think he’s aware of things.

Nah, jealousy has nothing to do with it at all. He's a good coach and will do good things at Purdue just like I think Fleck will do at MN. They're different coaches with completely different styles. There's nothing wrong with that. If true, it is pretty funny that Brohm talks about Fleck all the time in practice even when they're not playing MN.

You saying something a head coach does is okay because random fans on a message board do it is what I think is ridiculous.

Oh, most definitely... He is very tuned in.

Most highly competitive people are that way at least in part because they want success/adulation/recognition. It’s not necessarily a negative trait. I’d worry about someone if they don’t care.

Nah, jealousy has nothing to do with it at all. He's a good coach and will do good things at Purdue just like I think Fleck will do at MN. They're different coaches with completely different styles. There's nothing wrong with that. If true, it is pretty funny that Brohm talks about Fleck all the time in practice even when they're not playing MN.

You saying something a head coach does is okay because random fans on a message board do it is what I think is ridiculous.

Ok, you can continue to believe coaches aren’t occasionally petty/hyper competitive. These are human beings, not robots.

Brohm’s recruiting doesn’t look to be B1G level in terms of size, looks more like a SDSU level.

Ratings matter, except when they don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brohm will leave for another job perhaps Louisville? Minnesota is a better job. Purdue is surrounded by Notre Dame, Indiana, Illinois, and Louisville all within a couple hundred of miles.

Ok, you can continue to believe coaches aren’t occasionally petty/hyper competitive. These are human beings, not robots.

I guess there can't be different levels of this? I mean fans sometimes tell a player they suck and should just quit after a bad game (and much, much worse things are said sometimes). So there's no problem if a coach does that right because they're human?

Again, if what Burns said is true, it sounds like it isn't a one time thing or something that just happens the week they play MN.

Brohm will leave for another job perhaps Louisville? Minnesota is a better job. Purdue is surrounded by Notre Dame, Indiana, Illinois, and Louisville all within a couple hundred of miles.

But there are also a lot more population and recruits in that area, within 4-5 hour drive radius, than there are in Mpls.

Isn’t Purdue also a tougher school to get in to? That limits the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recruits who grow up in Minnesota are certainly allowed to leave, and they often do.

I guess you don't quite understand. We are the only division one school in the state. We have less completion. We have the Dakota schools next door but we are not recruiting the same players. We have no direct completion within the state. Recruits can come from anywhere but we don't have to worry about a recruit choosing another in-state school.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you don't quite understand. We are the only division one school in the state. We have less completion. We have the Dakota schools next door but we are not recruiting the same players. We have no direct completion within the state. Recruits can come from anywhere but we don't have to worry about a recruit choosing another in-state school.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you are correct in that context. Gophers are the only FBS in this state, while Indiana has three.

My point is that with the much higher levels of population and recruits around the Great Lakes areas, it comes out to about the same, or even slightly better for Purdue. Keep in mind, Notre Dame recruits nationally and plays a true national schedule. I'd have to look to be sure, but I would not be surprised to see more players from California, New Jersey, and other areas of the country than Indiana on their roster.

I guess there can't be different levels of this? I mean fans sometimes tell a player they suck and should just quit after a bad game (and much, much worse things are said sometimes). So there's no problem if a coach does that right because they're human?

Again, if what Burns said is true, it sounds like it isn't a one time thing or something that just happens the week they play MN.

It feels like we might be arguing about two different things. Wasn’t this originally a discussion on how fixated Brohm was on Fleck? How did we get to coaches telling players to pound sand?

I guess Louisville maybe would hire him but that would be a strange move.

I could see some reasons why Brohm may be jealous of PJ. PJ was the next up and coming hot coach that got all of the publicity. Brohm had a major victory against OSU, but PJ kept getting the limelight with his Culture talk.

PJ can be an acquired taste, but you can’t deny his positivity. Brohm’s DC constantly looks like he wants to tear someone’s head off! Brohm’s recruiting doesn’t look to be B1G level in terms of size, looks more like a SDSU level.

Apparently Brohm's son is a big PJ fan. Wonder if this has something to do with it.

https://www.brainerddispatch.com/sports/4337356-new-purdue-coachs-son-fleck-fan

Brady Brohm, 12, reached out to Fleck more than a year ago when Fleck coached at Western Michigan, and while his dad was coaching Western Kentucky. The middle schooler wants to be a coach someday and was looking for some tips from Fleck.

"I've just kept hitting him back with little things," Fleck said Monday. "I signed a bunch of stuff for him, and he asked if he could anytime come around to see things."

Fleck said he and the Brohms crossed paths at the American Football Coaches Association convention in January in Nashville, and Fleck and Brohm bumped into each other at Big Ten media days in July in Chicago.

"Coach Brohm and I were hanging, and he's like, 'Listen, I have a son that wants to 'Row The Boat.' That will probably be a problem when we actually get to playing each other,' " Fleck recalled.

Top Bottom