Shama: Frustrated Fans Target Fleck, QB

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Gophers football fans are understandably frustrated after two consecutive defeats, including Saturday’s 31-17 loss to Purdue. Communications sent to Sports Headliners focus on coach P.J. Fleck and quarterback Conor Rhoda.

No surprise there.

Football fans typically direct attention to the head coach and quarterback, two of the most visible and important positions on any team. The Gophers, 3-2 overall and 0-2 in the Big Ten, have lost to mediocre league rivals in Maryland and Purdue. The remaining seven teams on the schedule are more formidable than the first five opponents and that prompts pessimism about Minnesota qualifying for a bowl game—something the program has achieved for five straight years.

The feedback received here is fans want to know why Fleck doesn’t use another quarterback, or have Rhoda become a running threat. Those questions are understandable and expected when after a 3-0 nonconference start the Gophers lose games late in the fourth quarter they could have won.

Let’s start with this. Fleck and his assistant coaches are with the players, including the quarterbacks, every day. That constant exposure gives the coaches the best possible opportunity to evaluate personnel. Fans don’t have that advantage, nor are most fans professionally qualified to make such evaluations.

Fleck is earning a $3.5 million salary and he better know what he is doing. He is charged with choosing a quarterback who best fits his system—a scheme that doesn’t emphasize the quarterback running the ball. His starter must have the knowledge to run the offense, make impromptu and correct decisions on the field, and be a strong and exemplary leader.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Brewster made a lot of money too and clearly did not know what he was doing.

Purdue was a horrible, horrible team last year. The Gophers won 9 games and won their most prestigious Bowl game in the last 50 years.

I am not saying Fleck should be fired but there are too many Fleck apologists on this board. Brohm is CLEARLY the better coach.

Communications sent to Sports Headliners...

The feedback received here...

So I clicked on the link, and looked at his past 9 articles. They have garnered a total of 1 comment. Not 1 per article, 1 total comment on his past 9 articles. I have a feeling he's making up the "feedback".

Purdue was a horrible, horrible team last year. The Gophers won 9 games and won their most prestigious Bowl game in the last 50 years.

I am not saying Fleck should be fired but there are too many Fleck apologists on this board. Brohm is CLEARLY the better coach.

Fleck and Brewster. The laziest comparison ever that makes no sense.

Brewster had no prior college HC experience before the gophers. Fleck took an undefeated MAC team to the Cotton bowl.

Go ahead and cancel your season tickets if you want. That way I can get better seats next year.

Fleck and Brewster. The laziest comparison ever that makes no sense.

Brewster had no prior college HC experience before the gophers. Fleck took an undefeated MAC team to the Cotton bowl.

Go ahead and cancel your season tickets if you want. That way I can get better seats next year.
Don't worry, you can get great seats this year. Next year you may not have any neighbors around you if this trend continues. I am just glad we don't play ohio st this year.

Fleck deserves the criticism.
Our coordinators are running high school schemes.

They are running the scheme a walk-on qb can handle. Rhoda isn't the answer, but the answer likely isn't on the team. Which means we'll suck next year too. Our receivers are still terrible. The offensive line is terrible and the defense is regressing. I bet it isn't until 2019 we start to see a competent team. Get ready for the ugliness of this big ten season to continue. 3-9 isn't out of the question.

They are running the scheme a walk-on qb can handle. Rhoda isn't the answer, but the answer likely isn't on the team. Which means we'll suck next year too. Our receivers are still terrible. The offensive line is terrible and the defense is regressing. I bet it isn't until 2019 we start to see a competent team. Get ready for the ugliness of this big ten season to continue. 3-9 isn't out of the question.

You are aware that we were tied or ahead in the 4th quater of our last two games, yes?
We're not _that_ bad, even with our ****ty schemes.

MSU is a more than winnable game if we platoon Rhoda/Croft or Rhoda/Green and get our safeties back. (yes I know suspension, please no wall of comments about it).

Just stupid. We do NOT know that Brohm is the better coach. If the Gophers have their two starting safeties he probably loses yesterday to Fleck.

You are aware that we had 4th quarter leads in our last two games, yes?
We're not _that_ bad, even with our ****ty schemes.

MSU is a more than winnable game if we platoon Rhoda/Croft or Rhoda/Green and get our safeties back. (yes I know suspension, please no wall of comments about it).

Remember when we had a defense that could hold a 4th quarter lead? I'm concerned the defense will regress faster than the offense progresses.

Remember when we had a defense that could hold a 4th quarter lead? I'm concerned the defense will regress faster than the offense progresses.

They're not regressing, we lost two key components of our defense against Maryland, when we get them back we'll take another step forward.
Our front seven looked _immensely_ better last week.

We're going to be just fine.

Just stupid. We do NOT know that Brohm is the better coach. If the Gophers have their two starting safeties he probably loses yesterday to Fleck.

Brohm is a way better coach _right now_. That's not a question in anyone's mind other than yours.
We didn't hire Fleck for right now though, we hired Fleck for 3-4 years from now.

Saying that Brohm is not a better coach than Fleck is just ignorant.
Dude is one of the best offensive minds in football.
Fleck's greatest contribution are his shoes.

Brohm is a way better coach _right now_. That's not a question in anyone's mind other than yours.
We didn't hire Fleck for right now though, we hired Fleck for 3-4 years from now.

Just way too early to say who’s better.

Brohms team won. If If If

Yet Darrell Hazell's offense put up more points against a better Gophers defense last year. So is Hazell one of the best offensive minds in football?

we can however agree one is 1-0 over the other in Big Ten play.

Gophers had the lead with under two to play on the road without both starting safeties and that makes Brohm clearly the better coach. Got it. :rolleyes:

That is always an easy way out blaming a walk on 5th yr qb-- Iowa State just proved it can easily work by upsetting Ok being a 30 point underdog on the road. If we go 0-9 in conference there will be plenty of questions in the off season and the comparison to Brewster would be fair game

Brohms team won. If If If

Correct they beat us. Brohm took over a team with players that maybe fit his system better, are older, and more experience.

They have three freshmen in their two deeps.

Good bye world. Who is this clown show?

Don't worry, you can get great seats this year. Next year you may not have any neighbors around you if this trend continues. I am just glad we don't play ohio st this year.

Should I get you a tissue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok guy with NFL coaching experience, oh wait. Ok guy who coached a MAC team to 13-0, a MAC championship, and the Cotton Bowl, oh wait. Ok Gopherhole expert who's around the team all the time and played big time high school football!

That is always an easy way out blaming a walk on 5th yr qb-- Iowa State just proved it can easily work by upsetting Ok being a 30 point underdog on the road. If we go 0-9 in conference there will be plenty of questions in the off season and the comparison to Brewster would be fair game

Not all walk on 5th year QB are the same. What Iowa St's QB did has nothing to do with Rhoda's talent. The Brewster comparisons are lazy IMO. Just because they're both high energy guys doesn't mean they are the same.

Not all walk on 5th year QB are the same. What Iowa St's QB did has nothing to do with Rhoda's talent. The Brewster comparisons are lazy IMO. Just because they're both high energy guys doesn't mean they are the same.
...Wacker...[emoji57]

OK...gotta ask...is it so out of line that Gopher fans might be frustrated with what has happened?

Using the current mantra the previous ship did not appear to be leaking when the captain was made to walk the plank.

The Athletic Director and the University President did this on their own...or at least I'm not aware the Regents or some other groundswell was screaming for a coaching change.

At least when Coach Kill came on board we knew the boat was sunk and needed to be raised. We understood that it would take time.

Now at least we appear to be watching a deconstruction that may indeed be warranted...but the average fan was not seeking it.

Watching the defensive drop is the hardest to take. Another rebuilding project...

Ok guy with NFL coaching experience, oh wait. Ok guy who coached a MAC team to 13-0, a MAC championship, and the Cotton Bowl, oh wait. Ok Gopherhole expert who's around the team all the time and played big time high school football!

lol plz, if you're going to rip people here for not having experience in college football then you might as well delete your own account while you're at it.

OK...gotta ask...is it so out of line that Gopher fans might be frustrated with what has happened?

Using the current mantra the previous ship did not appear to be leaking when the captain was made to walk the plank.

The Athletic Director and the University President did this on their own...or at least I'm not aware the Regents or some other groundswell was screaming for a coaching change.

At least when Coach Kill came on board we knew the boat was sunk and needed to be raised. We understood that it would take time.

Now at least we appear to be watching a deconstruction that may indeed be warranted...but the average fan was not seeking it.

Watching the defensive drop is the hardest to take. Another rebuilding project...

Defense was fine before 3 starters were out. Can't do much when you have no depth at D-back already and have 3 players get hurt/suspended. Would be interested to see the results of the last few games if Craighton/Winfield/McGhee played. Might of been different if Thomas didn't get hurt before the last drive versus Purdue. Oh well

Yet Darrell Hazell's offense put up more points against a better Gophers defense last year. So is Hazell one of the best offensive minds in football?

Totally different teams. Can't compare them. Someone was beating that drum on here recently.

It is nowhere near time to give up on Fleck, but the Flecksters on here sound just silly harping on the injury or missing player angle. Every team in CFB has these problems. In fact some worse, like being down to 3rd or 4th string QB's.....

The sample size is too small to know much about Fleck as a coach, but every year he is here going forward we will have injuries, suspensions or certain areas where depth is an issue, as will all of our opponents.

Totally different teams. Can't compare them. Someone was beating that drum on here recently.

They are different. What's not different is Purdue putting up points on our defense. Those vaunted Kill/Claeys era defenses gave up an average of 31 points per game to Purdue over 5 games.

Yesterday they had 16 points with 2:30 left to go without our 2 starting safeties. They then got to 24 points by taking advantage of another CB injury.

But it has already been proven that Robb Smith is terrible and Brohm is an offensive genius! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom