How bad is Seth Green??

Bring back the Axe

Reaction score
Why hasn't Seth Green been considered a viable option???

With the injuries at WR, it seems like having a legitimate running threat at QB is even more imperative now, and from what I gather that is the one area where Green might have something to offer. Since Croft is being reprogrammed, and PJ wants to preserve Morgan's redshirt, this would seem like a perfect chance to see what Green can do...

I wonder if part of it is that he isn't exactly a role model for other players yet, so even if he was decent, it's easy to not want to play him ahead of the other choices.

I don't think PJ is too concerned with wins and losses this year.

I wonder if part of it is that he isn't exactly a role model for other players yet, so even if he was decent, it's easy to not want to play him ahead of the other choices.

I can see it being an intangibles thing, which is obviously a big point of emphasis for PJ, especially in year one.

Just observing him in the post-game the past few weeks, he's seemed extremely edgy after these losses. Whether that means he's reacting to the loss itself, or just anticipating criticism I don't know.

This isn't really a fair thread regarding a FR.

I think the point is, in year 1 (or zero), as a coach, you... (or at least I), would want to find my best young option at QB.

I have a 2-4 year window to make improvements and show progress, and going with a near-walk-on Senior QB for year one only makes sense if you are targeting a certain number of wins on the year.
Now with that win target out the window most likely, it should be even more about building for next year.
Each game Rhoda starts now is one less for Croft, Morgan, or Green.

I appreciate the wanting to keep the red shirt on Morgan, but if you're expecting even a better QB (is it Armstrong?) next year, and possibly someone better for 2019, are you really counting on Tanner playing much in 2021?

If you're getting that Hank kid in here in 2019, give him a redshirt year one and he's likely your starter by years 2020 (maybe) but very likely by 2021. Unless Tanner is so good at that point you simply can't take him out. At that point you would think you have a good problem on your hands.

somewhat off topic, but Sid was interviewing one of the Purdue coaches - who is a former Gopher player. (Levine?) He was talking about the Purdue offense, and rattled off several of the trick plays they used in the game - reverses, flea-flickers, etc. Really stood out in contract to the Gophers' offensive mindset. Purdue is taking the "throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" approach on offense. I'd like to see the Gophers adopt a little more of that mindset.

if that means putting Green in there, or just giving him a package of plays to run, do it. Something - anything - to show the defense a different look. the more things you do on offense, the more things the defense has to prepare for.

This is the question I have been asking myself over and over again since the game on Saturday. It is clear that this team isn't going anywhere with Rhoda at the helm. I'd give Green and chance and see if he has any potential or something to build on.

I also don't believe in a year zero or one or whatever that BS is. It is a major college job and Fleck is making a whole bunch of money to win and win sooner than later. I agree he needs to set-up a foundation, wouldn't part of that playing younger guys to see if they are part of the problem or solution?

somewhat off topic, but Sid was interviewing one of the Purdue coaches - who is a former Gopher player. (Levine?) He was talking about the Purdue offense, and rattled off several of the trick plays they used in the game - reverses, flea-flickers, etc. Really stood out in contract to the Gophers' offensive mindset. Purdue is taking the "throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" approach on offense. I'd like to see the Gophers adopt a little more of that mindset.

if that means putting Green in there, or just giving him a package of plays to run, do it. Something - anything - to show the defense a different look. the more things you do on offense, the more things the defense has to prepare for.

Different mindset of the coach. Fleck is an Urban Meyer disciple. All about not losing the ball, and then when you have the lead, shorten or end the game however you can.
Purdue is all about trying to be fast and entertaining, wide open, trick plays, etc. Not a direct analogy, but Purdue is trying to be Oregon or a Big Twelve school.
We're trying to be the 1986 NY Giants.

This seems to be the company line of the Flecksters.

How in the world can you not be concerned with wins and losses? I dont care if it is "year 0" or not.

You best play to win every game, every year. "Saving" someone or something has a lot of risks as well. Just win.

Not being concerned with not winning? Wow.

I appreciate the wanting to keep the red shirt on Morgan, but if you're expecting even a better QB (is it Armstrong?) next year, and possibly someone better for 2019, are you really counting on Tanner playing much in 2021?

I've heard this argument a few times and I don't think you can look at it that way. Fleck recruited more talented QB's than Zach Terrell at WMU, but they never beat him out. No one knows how good Morgan is, and if Fleck feels the need to RS him then there's probably a reason for it.

I think the point is, in year 1 (or zero), as a coach, you... (or at least I), would want to find my best young option at QB.

I have a 2-4 year window to make improvements and show progress, and going with a near-walk-on Senior QB for year one only makes sense if you are targeting a certain number of wins on the year.
Now with that win target out the window most likely, it should be even more about building for next year.
Each game Rhoda starts now is one less for Croft, Morgan, or Green.

If you're getting that Hank kid in here in 2019, give him a redshirt year one and he's likely your starter by years 2020 (maybe) but very likely by 2021. Unless Tanner is so good at that point you simply can't take him out. At that point you would think you have a good problem on your hands.

I think in general there is no replacement for experience, but I can also see the advantages of setting aside year one as a learning/acclamation year for QBs if you have the luxury of doing so.

The coaching staff obviously thinks Rhoda has given them the best chance to win to this point, but we'll see what course they take if things continue as they are. It would be a shame to waste valuable learning experience for QBs who will be here beyond this season if there is no improvement in the next few games...

This is the question I have been asking myself over and over again since the game on Saturday. It is clear that this team isn't going anywhere with Rhoda at the helm. I'd give Green and chance and see if he has any potential or something to build on.

I also don't believe in a year zero or one or whatever that BS is. It is a major college job and Fleck is making a whole bunch of money to win and win sooner than later. I agree he needs to set-up a foundation, wouldn't part of that playing younger guys to see if they are part of the problem or solution?

I don't agree with the bolded comment as I think that Rhoda brings a certain command to the offense despite his complete lack of athleticism*.
But for this week at a minimum, we need someone that can keep Michigan State honest because they suck at defending mobile QBs.

*yes he's more athletic that I ever have been but against D1 football players, please don't bother with that argument.

I saw an interview with David Blough where he said when Brohm was first hired he was given a War and Peace-like playbook. Brohm is definitely from the Petrino mad-scientist tree, which is very different from Fleck who, for all his progressive-mindedness when is comes to marketing his program seems to be very much a traditionalist when it comes to the game itself. But it also seems like personnel/experience have limited any inclinations he may have to mix it up a bit.

Overall, there is a feeling that PJ is still dipping his toe in the water with this whole experience of being a Big 10 coach, which is understandable. For all of his success at W Michigan, and how fully-realized he seems to communicate his 'program', he's still a young guy who will need to grow into the job.

I saw an interview with David Blough where he said when Brohm was first hired he was given a War and Peace-like playbook. Brohm is definitely from the Petrino mad-scientist tree, which is very different from Fleck who, for all his progressive-mindedness when is comes to marketing his program seems to be very much a traditionalist when it comes to the game itself. But it also seems like personnel/experience have limited any inclinations he may have to mix it up a bit.

Overall, there is a feeling that PJ is still dipping his toe in the water with this whole experience of being a Big 10 coach, which is understandable. For all of his success at W Michigan, and how fully-realized he seems to communicate his 'program', he's still a young guy who will need to grow into the job.

Agreed!
Not quite there yet, but eventually :)

Young, yes. However the Flecksters have told us he is so much better in most facets of the game than the previous two HC's. Including crootin.. Cant have it both ways.

Morgan now listed ahead of him on the depth chart.

Could this Saturday be like that game in Madison where Kill surprised us by starting the true freshman, Fil Nelson?

This seems to be the company line of the Flecksters.

How in the world can you not be concerned with wins and losses? I dont care if it is "year 0" or not.

You best play to win every game, every year. "Saving" someone or something has a lot of risks as well. Just win.

Not being concerned with not winning? Wow.

Bingo.

Tony Levine was a walk on WR in the late 80's, he was a really good possession receiver. He was also the head coach at the University of Houston after Kevin Sumlin left for TAMU. He was let go after a couple years and UH then hired Tom Hermann. Love got a bad rap at UH, he did a good job, he is a very good football coach.

Greene should move to tight end or wide receiver.

Morgan now listed ahead of him on the depth chart.

Seems to worked out well for both Marquies Gray and Ross Travis a former basketball player who now plays for the Chiefs.
You are an athlete, who can run well and catch the ball what is your path to the league. Some guy's think they have to be a quarterback because they think that is there personality.

To me it should be how you develop as a football player. Greene can either transfer to a smaller school and hope to make it as a quarterback, or he can get himself on the football field and
become a receiving tight end? There are some really talented tight ends in the NFL these day's and many started as HS quarterbacks at one point.

If Greene's goal is to make it in the NFL maybe
he should look at his path and see which way it may be easier to make it based on athletic talent. Mitch Leidner probably had a path to the NFL if he would have made the switch to TE from QB. Big body, can run well, tough and a pretty good athlete who can run routes, get in the way as a blocker and move the chains are valued.
Greene doesn't do himself or the team any favors sitting on the sidelines. If you cannot beat out Rhoda even with better athletic skills that say's something about your accuracy as a passer and your probability of being successful at it.
If his goal is an NFL paycheck, the path forward should seem obvious.

Could this Saturday be like that game in Madison where Kill surprised us by starting the true freshman, Fil Nelson?

Man, that day in Camp Randall it looked like we had the real deal. Badgers sitting around us could not fathom he was a Badger legacy.

Man, that day in Camp Randall it looked like we had the real deal. Badgers sitting around us could not fathom he was a Badger legacy.

Yeah I was excited too. I believe the next game was home against Purdue where we witnessed the most impressive Gopher passing game in a long time.

Who the **** cares if he's the best player.

Just so long as the kid actually throws the ball from time to time. Plenty of teams have tried to add a package of run plays for an athletic QB to come in a few times a game and it becomes super predictable and pretty much a loss of a down. It's the stupidest thing ever because, to a defense paying attention, its easy to know what type of play they're getting.

Top Bottom